Sugar from fruit??

Options
Hi

Just wondering about the sugar allowance on mfp? I always seem to go a bit over on this, altho my calories are fine....
The most of my sugar comes from fruit so it would be natural sugar, about 80% of my daily sugar intake is from fruit (which my doctor said was fine, it was processed sugar I needed to cut down on). I'm also doing slimming world which you can eat as much fruit as you want, within reason!
Do I need to cut down on fruit? I would usually have a serving of fruit with my breakfast, 2 pieces for a snack at 11, and then sometimes another piece in the evening, is this too much?
Thanks!

Replies

• Twitchyjim
    Options
    Hi

Just wondering about the sugar allowance on mfp? I always seem to go a bit over on this, altho my calories are fine....
    The most of my sugar comes from fruit so it would be natural sugar, about 80% of my daily sugar intake is from fruit (which my doctor said was fine, it was processed sugar I needed to cut down on). I'm also doing slimming world which you can eat as much fruit as you want, within reason!
    Do I need to cut down on fruit? I would usually have a serving of fruit with my breakfast, 2 pieces for a snack at 11, and then sometimes another piece in the evening, is this too much?
    Thanks!
  • Twitchyjim
    Options
    I am totally with you on this, everything I read regarding a good diet for me as a runner includes enough fruit to sink a battleship.

I am, EVERY DAY, way over on my sugars, usually just after breakfast or lunch, but if I was to only include processed sugars I would be way under, perhaps only half or less of my daily allowance.

I don't know if I am doing the right thing by just ignoring MFPs count and watching just the processed sugars.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that you have to track your sugar I wouldn't bother tracking it, I switched mine to track fiber.

Eat and enjoy your fruit.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Health recommendations are up to 4 servings of fruit/day. Enjoy.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. Unless you have a medical condition that specifies otherwise (which I'm guessing you don't, since you stated that your DR is okay with your fruit sugar)… there is really nothing wrong with it. Contrary to popular opinion your body can tell the difference between the natural occurring sugar in fruit and the added processed sugar in other things. It won't cause a blood sugar spike (unless it's in juice form) nor will it intensify cravings for the processed stuff.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how much sugar you eat from fruit. It is healthy. I try to eat foods such as legumes, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and make sure i get enough protein, calcium and iron. I limit sweets and processed foods, but i do have a frozen meal for lunch if i don't have leftovers. I don't even look at sugar or carbohydrates, because I'm not diabetic or prediabetic. I just want to be healthy and lose weight. Fruit contains lots of phytochemicals and antioxidents, so i don't limit it within my calorie goal
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You may be interested to read what the executive editor from "Harvard Health" has to say about the subject. Fructose is NOT metabolized as glucose is. The proof is in the pudding. Limit fruit to 10 percent of your calories and see what happens. You will not have to wait long.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set to 40 %. I don't track sugar I track fiber and meet that. I do try and have two or three servings of fruit a day.
  • swbuckley
    Options
    Thanks all, that's very helpful.

My blood sugar was checked recently and found to be a little high (just the high end of normal, a bit near to pre diabetes than they would like, not in diabetes range or anything), but that's when doc said sugar from fruit was fine, and not to worry about it, so that's why I wondered!
    Thanks again for all the answers, I'll continue on with my fruit!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    You may be interested to read what the executive editor from "Harvard Health" has to say about the subject. Fructose is NOT metabolized as glucose is. The proof is in the pudding. Limit fruit to 10 percent of your calories and see what happens. You will not have to wait long.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
    Fructose and glucose have their own unique metabolic pathways........who would have thunk it.......mind blowing.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There is a standard amount of carbs for weight loss.... not more than 100 grams And, of course, those carbs should be fruit and veggies, real food.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity group