How do you get your vegetables?

Options
2»

Replies

• scrap
    scrap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Creamed spinach using almond milk and laughing cow cheese wedge. Even my DH liked it and he does not like too many veggies. :)
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    bump. I love veggies :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Adding bacon usually works for me.
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's fall, so winter squash is coming into season. I love butternut squash (make into noodle and bake until tender, roast in chunks, make into soup, etc), spaghetti squash (replace any recipe with noodles, and it's delish!), acorn squash is sweet, and a great substitute for potatoes.
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of veggies. One of my favourites is a big bowl of lightly steamed broccoli (and sometimes green cabbage), which i've then put into a frying pad and drizzled with one of two blends of seasoning and lightly "dry" fried (little or no added oil).

seasoning 1. soy, about 4 drops of sesame oil, lots of black pepper, maybe a drizzle of olive oil. or
    seasoning 2. a sprinkle of beef stock cube (about 1/4 of a cube) with a bit of water.

Both ways are delicious. I sometimes add sesame or pumpkin seeds and/or chilli flakes and lightly fried garlic to either.

I agree with roast veggies, anything in a big tray. Start with the "hard" veg, cook until starting to soften, then add 'soft' veg (mushrooms, zucchini/courgette etc). You only need a very small amount of oil.

Grated carrot into any salad is delicious.

This amazing Asian style slaw - no mayo and it is soooo delicious

Ingredients:
    red cabbage - shredded finely (hard green cabbage works fine too!)
    carrot - grated coarsely
    1 tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
    Freshly ground black pepper

Dressing:
    1 tbsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
    2 tbsp light soy sauce
    1 tbsp rice vinegar
    1 tsp honey
    1 tbsp fresh ginger - minced
    1 tbsp fresh garlic - minced
    1 tbsp fresh chilli - minced
    1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of these three methods:

1) Get a Nutribullet blender, they are so awesome. I have a breakfast smoothie every day with a few big handfuls of spinach, a carrot, half a green apple, a chunk of fresh ginger, lime juice, a little vanilla protein powder or sugarfree vanilla syrup, and water. It's ~150-200 calories for a big ol smoothie and you get in some veggies right away. The apple / ginger / lime combo really makes it.

2) ROASTED VEGGIES! Omg so good. My favorites are asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, or beets, but you literally can't go wrong. Dice them up, toss lightly with olive oil and garlic and salt/pepper, bake for about 20 minutes at 375, broil for a couple minutes, and you're done. It is the most amazingly delicious food ever, and great for you as long as you go easy on the oil.

There's also a delicious sauce / glaze i pour over roasted veggies sometimes. Mix up apple cider vinegar, lime juice, and brown sugar (not sure the proportions but you'll know when it tastes right) until you have about 1/3 cup and drizzle that over veggies. Super super yummy!

3) Steamed veggies (especially broccoli) with half a cup of cottage cheese on top. I don't even like cottage cheese, but something about this combo is really tasty.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Nice and Raw
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I get them at the store, or a produce stand, or grow them.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I hate vegetables but I just eat them. Carrots with lunch, celery with a little bit of ranch for dinner. I'm going to start eating sliced cucumber as a morning snack.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I tend to steal them outta the neighbors garden when he isn't home...

(Truthfully I'm just in for the recipe ideas.)