One, Two , or Both

Options
I'm starting this weightloss journey all over but I'm confused and have never been able to get a answer. Do I wait to lose a certain amount then add weights or do what I started this time: 45 minutes 4 days a week of cardio, 2 days arms 2 days legs for about 15 minutes? Atop of that I don't really know what i'm doing so i just go by the machines and do 10 reps 5 sets. I need some help!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    As long as your doctor has given the okay, then there is no reason why you can't lift weights while you lose. Doing resistance training is a great way to lose faster.

I don't know what your schedule should be, though. If you go to the gym, do they have trainer that could help? If not, I'm sure there are free online programs that you could follow.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I started lifting while losing. It made a big improvement (I lost 20 pounds before I started lifting, but not much in the way of inches. After I started lifing, I lost another 15 lbs and 15+ inches).

I was running 3x a week so I added lifting 3x a week in between runs with 1 rest day. Now I am focusing on training for a HM so I lift 2x a week. One day by itself, one day before a run
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Resistance training is a way to lose calories a lot faster! Cardio is very important too because it gets your heart beating nice and fast. Try doing 10 minutes of cardio and then work on resistance for about double-triple the time you did cardio. (Example: Cardio: 5 min, Resistance: 10-20 min) & After you're done with resistance, go back and cool down on the treadmill for just a few minutes. (Example: 5 min cool down)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're medically cleared, there's no reason not to lift weights, if you want to. :)
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely include weight training from the get go.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you're medically cleared, there's no reason not to lift weights, if you want to. :)

Exactly.

Lifting while cutting can help maintain as much lean mass as possible while encouraging fat loss (though you'll likely still lose some of both)
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help! I will LIFT as well
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure lifting helps you lose faster (some claim the exact opposite because you're keeping more LBM and losing a higher proportion fat), but it does help in maintaining as much LBM as possibly while in a caloric deficit -- and that's a very important thing since it's so difficult to actually gain muscle. Over time, your body composition will improve and your TDEE will remain higher because of the better body composition.

So long as you don't have medical/physical problems, I'd highly recommend lifting heavy as soon as possible through a progressive overload program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Now. Weight lifting helps your retain muscle while losing weight. We lose a mixture of fat and muscle. Of course we want to lose as much fat as possible and as little muscle.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Add weights ASAP, as it helps retain muscle while you're losing.
  • BeginningNoStop
    Options
    Resistance training is a way to lose calories a lot faster! Cardio is very important too because it gets your heart beating nice and fast. Try doing 10 minutes of cardio and then work on resistance for about double-triple the time you did cardio. (Example: Cardio: 5 min, Resistance: 10-20 min) & After you're done with resistance, go back and cool down on the treadmill for just a few minutes. (Example: 5 min cool down)

THIS!! I couldn't remember this for the world this morning, will adjust tomorrow.
  • BeginningNoStop
    Options
    I've been doing resistance training the whole time I've been losing weight. It definitely helps maintain what muscle you already have so you don't lose as much when you lose weight. I had a trainer for a year and what we did was break the body into three zones. On. Monday, I work chest, shoulders and biceps. On Wed. I work legs. On Friday, I work back and triceps. I do core exercises each time and about 30 minutes of cardio after the resistance training. Not sure of this is what you were looking for, but it's what has worked for me. Good luck!

This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    look into 5x5... in my opinion a much better resistance training program than using machines... also... there's nothing that says you need to conform your workout schedule to a 7 day week... expand to 8, 9, 12... whatever is convenient to you... and just a quick note... if you ARE resistance training... you will need to up your protein intake...this will help reduce soreness...if you are "building muscle" your body needs to be properly fed to assist

Best of luck..