Meals and cooking

Options
Was curious: Do,all of your family members eat meals, especially the evening meal at the same time? Do you all tend to eat the same meals or do you eat different meals? Who cooks?

Replies

• Weightlossdude53
    Weightlossdude53 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My wife, two daughters and I tend to eat most of our meals at different times die to our schedules. My wife doesn't really cook and neither does my older daughter (although she is learning). They tend to eat more processed food and few veggies/fruits. I prefer less prepared food and fresh veggies/fruits, especially since i have been using MFP and trying to lose weight and exercise. I like to plan my meals ahead of time, they don't. These differences have become a source of friction in our house.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hm... Well, you didn't say why it's a source of friction so I won't comment on that...

In my house, I mostly cook, he grills the meats in the summer and sometimes helps me with bigger meals that need a lot of prep work. When I started to watch what I was eating, I made subtle changes and most of them went over fine. The ones that didn't, we mostly agreed on (ground turkey and fat free cheese - blech). We still eat some box foods and take-out but not as much as we used to. For me, it's mostly the portion sizes and some healthier choices that have made the difference.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We (husband, elementary school aged daughter, me) eat at the same time. My husband and I split cooking duty, though during the week he cooks more often than me because he gets home earlier. I usually do the grocery shopping on the weekend and we have a general idea of what we're having during the week and then we go from there. We all eat the same meals though there may be a dish that one of us eats that the others don't. For example, I might make roasted brussels sprouts, which they don't eat, so they have some other side dish.
  • mmmcrane
    mmmcrane Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do the cooking and the shopping. I cook for three Husband ,Father in law and myself. I try to get a menu together for them and shop for what I need for the week. I make sure I can eat a variation of what I make them or I try to make something else for myself. Its hard but I'm trying to make my dinner as important as theirs. If they don't want what you make yourself then cant they just make their own. Maybe you can get with your wife and come up with a time to eat together and they can make their own. My husband likes to eat late I don't so I eat while he is at work and when he eats I have my snack {he works late}. So we are still eating together in a way. I would hope that your wife would be supportive and work with you a bit on this. '
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When we are home, my family generally eats at the same time, and we usually cook from scratch. Sometimes we eat the same thing, and other times we all eat something different. My wife eats vegetarian two days a week, so those days we are more likely to eat different meals. The biggest issue we have on those days is who gets to use the stove first... :laugh:

We usually do not plan our meals ahead of time. What we decide to cook depends on what we need to meet our goals, what we have around the house, how much time we have to cook, and even what we feel like eating after seeing what is available. Our planned meals are generally relegated to the weekend as we tend to like to cook things that require a bit of time to prepare, which doesn't work as well on week nights.
  • Weightlossdude53
    Weightlossdude53 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Source of friction: i like to plan/other members do 't., i like to have a variety of fruits/veggies and rest of family is content to ear same limited ones over and over (they eat limited fruits and veggies), We grocery shop irregularly (i.e. Not same day or on regular basis), they don't like certain ingredients i. Their meals (onions, peppers, garlic, chunky tomatoes, certain spices) and I like all of those items. I would love it of we could all eat the same meals (we do sometimes, but less and less). I wish they would eat healthier, I worry about their health. Mu older daughter has Type 1 Diabetes, so she does watch certain things.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I do the cooking, planning and shopping. This summer everyone's schedule was different. (3 college kids with summer jobs) Both my husband and I work so planning is key to being able to eat at a decent time without resorting to packages or take out. We all eat the same meal but I have to cook things that can be easily reheated. The key is portion control. I usually have a smaller portion than the rest of the family.