Life after P90X3?

Options
For those that have completed a cycle of P90X3: How (if at all) do you incorporate any of the P90X3 workouts into your regular exercise?

I will finish in another 4 weeks, and then I will need to start training for a pack march in the spring. I'll need to start doing more endurance cardio (loooong walks/jogs), but continue to build strength. I don't belong to a gym.

I was thinking of doing 2-3 days per week of the X3 workouts, maybe doing the ones that focus more on strength (The Challenge, Upper/Lower Eccentrics, etc), then walk/jog 3 other days.

Any other suggestions? How do you guys use the X3 workouts in your daily routines? Of note, I am not interested in doing another entire cycle.

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congrats on closing in on the final day! I'll be finishing on October 4th, so we're close in start./end times.

For me, I'd go with the last block, so you keep some variety on your strength workouts, and then put your runs in on cardio days. I included hiking/walking, so you could do backpack days to get used to the weight you'll be carrying, and continue building leg strength. I also kept the yoga, because it's only a half hour, and can really help with soreness, I've found. You could swap it out with a run, and throw it back in on Sunday instead of something like Dynamix.

Maybe something like:

Week 1
    Monday: Run/Walk/Hike
    Tuesday: The Challenge
    Wednesday: X3 Yoga
    Thursday: Run/Walk/Hike
    Friday: Total Synergistics
    Saturday: Run/Walk/Hike

Week 2
    Monday: Run/Walk/Hike
    Tuesday: Eccentric Upper
    Wednesday: X3 Yoga
    Thursday: Run/Walk/Hike
    Friday: Eccentric Lower
    Saturday: Run/Walk/Hike

Sundays, do whatever your body feels. On a run day that you can't get outside, I'd swap in MMX, or maybe Agility-X. MMX gives a great burn and you can really just go all-out to build your endurance.

Best of luck!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The goruck challenge has a 6 week training program on it's main page.

I typically like to separate my strength and cardio days, but in the Army it was basically 30 mins of calisthenics then run 3+ miles. Do the workouts you NEED to improve your strength now. I liked the upper/lower eccentric alot. Take a look at the phase 2 of the mass calendar. But I 'd concentrate on the Warrior and Challenge workouts followed by a 3-5 mile run as you get closer to the march.

I don't deny that physical endurance is involved, but it's going to be mostly mental. That voice in your head (I call mine my inner 7yo girl) will want to quit. It's all about being able to keep working when you're already tired.

Good luck.