Calling All Cyclists!

Options
Hey all,

I'm looking for some cycling friends. I have a very strong friend list on here, but everyone I know lifts or are runners. I have nothing against either, but I'm getting back into cycling (mainly as transportation) and I feel like I'm really going against the grain by doing so.

So, if you are a cyclist, I would love for you to send me a friend request so we can help support each other with our cycling goals!

By the way, I am by no means new to cycling. Mountain biking was my passion and my life until i had an injury which ultimately lead me here. I'm just making my way back into the cycling scene. If you are new to cycling and have any questions, feel free to message me. I'll probably have a good answer. :D

Replies

• HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what kinds of rides you're planning? I have my road bike up on a CycleOps. I had been planning a triathlon a couple of years ago but lost my mojo when I had surgery for a complete ACL and that scared me away from running and cycling (and skiing) Did not scare me away from eating, however. I have only now motivated myself to get back up on it. Today I was going to start intervals.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm currently riding "casually". I just moved to place close enough to work to ride to and from work regularly. It's about 14 km one-way, entirely uphill on the way to work, 85m of climbing. I achieve a pace of about 15 kmph on the way there on an old Raleigh frame, loaded with all my food and clothes for the day. The way back is wicked-fast.

I basically warm up for 10 minutes, then time trail the rest of the way. I push hard. I seem to still have the mental capacity from my previous cycling to know where my limit is and to be able to sustain it for a long period of time. I just don't have the fitness to go particularly fast... yet.

Once I've developed the fitness to ride to/from work at a reasonable pace without killing myself, I'll start doing more focused training so i can start doing tours and I will also pick up strength training.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    bump

Are there really so few cyclists on this site?
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I would like to be a cyclist...does that count? I'm looking for a bike now and a way to transport one with a trunk rack. I hadn't really riden in years but had a chance on vacation and remembered how much I love it. There are a LOT of trails that I walk around me that people ride on. I'm really looking forward to doing it myself.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been known to ride a km or two!
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I never think of myself as a "cyclist," I guess. I mean, I ride my 7-speed granny bike every day, but when those people in spandex on their serious bikes blow by me, I doubt they think of me as their people.

I'm a commuter, but nowhere near the kind of commute you do. My bike to work is approx. 2 miles, uphill going. I make the trip twice a day, because I go home over lunch to walk my dogs. I do it all year round, Monday through Friday, rain, snow, heat. On the weekends, I do fun bike rides around town, usually not more than 10 miles.

My main goal is to eventually be able to do the whole hill on my way to work, instead of getting off and pushing the last hundred yards. There's a reason my town hosts a pro bike race every year. We got a hill.

At any rate, just felt compelled to comment, because I wondered why I don't consider myself a cyclist.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Also, there are threads monthly where people track their mileage... Here is the September thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1419675-september-cycling-challenge-2014
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Here is the MFP group on Strava.

http://www.strava.com/clubs/gs-myfitnesspal