Low cal breakfast w/o oatmeal

Options
Any ideas of filling low calorie breakfast that don't include cooked oatmeal. I eat an egg, bagel and sometimes a tablespoon of diced ham most of the time, however am not full for long.

Replies

• Chelij
    Chelij Posts: 49
    Options
    i find that a whole wheat english muffin with 2 tbsp of low fat/low cal strawberry cream cheese (adds up to 200 cals) usually does the trick. However, I do have a latte or some sort of coffee (usually around another 150 cals) with it and I'm sure that helps with feeling full. If I don't have a coffee in the AM (or some sort of caffeine) I find I feel hungry much quicker. But if you aren't in the habit of a morning caffeine fix, I don't recommend starting one. You don't want to end up chemically depended like me! lol.

The english muffin with cream cheese is good though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If a bagel wont keep you full long I'm not sure what will. Try something high in fiber.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is low-calorie, but also mostly protein. I don't add carbs, such as any kind of bread/bagel, because it seems to make me hungrier sooner. That being said, here it is: I quickly brown some sort of turkey sausage (already-cooked sausage crumbles or diced turkey Little Smokies), add a big handful of chopped fresh baby spinach, cook a minute until wilted, add 1/2-Cup egg substitute and some crumbled fat-free feta cheese, and cook until done. It's less than 200 calories and keeps me full all morning.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Layer 9 oz. Greek yogurt, 2 Tablespoons chopped walnut, 1 cup berries. (from Jillian Michaels plan)
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help or not, but maybe you need more protein? I found a recipe on Hungry Girl that's quick and easy and high-protein. Scramble 1/2 cup Eggbeaters (equivalent of 2 eggs for half the calories--60 calories) in the microwave. In her recipe you add a wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese, which would up the protein more. (I omitted it.) One day I ate mine in a Joseph's whole grain pita--another 7 grams of protein. A total of 19 grams of protein (without the wedge of cheese). I was full for a long time.

The other possibility is that you need to include more fiber in your breakfast to keep you feeling full longer. A quick, easy, and low-cal way to do that is to stir 1/2 cup Fiber One Original into some yogurt. If you use Greek Yogurt (I like Chobani 0%) you also get significant protein.

Good luck.
  • LLeBrun
    Options
    I am new to this program but am desperately trying to lose weight. So far, my FAVORITE breakfast is a Subway egg white & cheese english muffin with spinach, green peppers & 1 tomato! It is filling and tastes great, plus I am adding produce. It is a total of 142 calories! Good luck!
  • mkrafick
    Options
    At the suggestion of a friend, I started using my workout protien drink as breakfast in the morning because it was fast, and the protien kept me full. It was a scoop of protien mix and 1 cup of 2% milk. I used Body FortressSuper Advanced Whey Protien (chocolate, vanilla, cookies and cream, strawberry. (About 230 cal). If I want to feel more full, I may add a whole bannana (70 Cal) or I can add Peanut butter for more protien and a fuller feeling.

I also have had 1c of Honey Nut Cheerios and 1c Soy Milk for 247 cal.

There are also frozen sausage buiscuts that we by, two to a pack - nuke them for 45 seconds and they are ready to eat. It's around 319cal.

Regardless of what I eat though, I increased my meals to 5-6x a day so they only hold me for about 2-3 hours and my stomach immediately tells me it's time for my mid-morning snack.

If you want to have that full feeling and keep hunger at bay - consistantly mix something in with protien (sliced turkey, diced ham, egg's, etc). It will help you a lot and protien is harder for your body to keep as fat.
  • zumba66girl
    Options
    BUMP:glasses:
  • Fitnurse27
    Fitnurse27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree with the high protein keeping you full longer. When I have the day off I make an egg beaters omelet with 1/2 cup egg beaters, a handful of spinach, 1oz of mini bella mushrooms, and 1/8 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese. Today I had that with 1 slice of 35 calorie bread. So breakfast was around 160 calories. Yesterday when I was at work I had a blueberry greek yogurt and 1 cup of kashi go lean honey almond flax cereal and mixed a little together at a time like granola. The calorie count is higher 320 calories. I was full for like 5 hours?? It was awesome.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If you don't like oats and you have tried eggs there isn't really much else left. Perhaps you should just allow yourself a big breakfast and then make your other meals during the day smaller or more healthy as it is definitely easier to think of healthy lunches and dinners as opposed to breakfasts. I find I am hungrier at lunchtime than in the morning and evening so I swap around my dinner and lunch and make my lunch my main meal.
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posters. I think you have a good breakfast already, it just needs some tweaks. Use egg beaters instead of real eggs, you can eat substantially more and you get the protein! Then instead of a bagel, try something with more fiber. I use Thomas' Betterstart English Muffins (100 cal and 7g fiber), Thomas Bagel Thins Everything Flavor (110 cal and bunch of fiber) or Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas (LOVE these...only 120 cal and I think 9g fiber). I used to use a slice of 2% american cheese, but I'm really working on lowering my sodium so I've been using either Sargento Low Sodium Swiss or Colby Jack. Sometimes I add a slice of low-sodium deli ham too. Some diced red onion in the eggs is a good flavor addition too!

I literally eat this breakfast every day of my life - I guess I'm a creature of habit that way!

Best of luck to you!
    Jennifer
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice. I will be tweaking my grocery list this week and try out some of your suggestions!
  • lohawkins
    Options
    That sounds GREAT! Might have to steal that idea!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like an egg scrambled with 85g of spinach served open-faced on a piece of Alameda Bakery Essential Flax Bread.

The bread is only 50 calories per slice, but it is very high fiber and very filling.

The whole breakfast comes in at ~170 calories, and I get a full serving of veggies, too!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I eat two slices of bacon (80 calories), drain out the bulk of the bacon fat and then cook my egg white, mushroom and reduced swiss omelette (80 calories) in the bacon pan. Keeps me full a minimum of three hours.

***hot sauce and garlic salt in the omelette optional***

Charmagne