Need your help

Options
Hi everyone,

Through the process of counting calories and hitting the gym 4 days a week, I have managed to lose 52lbs since June 2013. I started at 253lbs and am currently sitting at 201lbs. I'm finding it very hard to break that 200lb mark and my weight loss has been slowing lately to around .5lb a week. I know it's still a loss and I should be grateful, I'm just getting discouraged as it's starting to slow down.

I'm 37yrs old and 5'9". I do my weigh ins every Saturday morning, so I try to fit my 3,500 calorie reduction during the week M-F and tend to ease up on the strict eating on Sundays. To hit my 3500 cal reduction M-F, I eat around 1,580 calories/day (750 cal reduction/day). Often times though, I'm eating 1,000 less than my weekly 3,500 as I tend to leave around 200-300 calories available at the end of the day, even though I try to eat back the exercise calories I gain. (I use a Polar F7 to track my 30min elliptical calorie burn 4 days a week). Since June 2013, I do 30 min elliptical session then an hour weight training program 4 times a week.

Am I experiencing a slowing weight loss as I get closer to my goals? Should I try adjusting my calories/day, even though I am still leaving 200-300 calories/day available? Or.... should I eat more? Not sure how to ramp my weight loss back up. Any advice?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If your ticker is correct, you have 11 pounds left. At this point, you should be aiming for half a pound per week, so actually you are right on track! As you get lighter, your BMR and TDEE go down, so your weight loss slows. Since your body needs less calories than it used to, restricting enough to lose more than that half pound is super hard and probably not worth it.

Congrats on your weight loss so far, and don't worry, it will keep coming off, but yes it will be slower. So my advice is... patience:laugh:
  • tkbuc
    tkbuc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was afraid that might be the answer... lol
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 50+ already a big accomplishment. I agree with the above poster, weight loss is going to slow as your approach your goal. It is also going to be much less linear. Rather then a weekly weigh in, which may skew results if you happen to weigh in on a high or low day, I would suggest you weigh daily. BUT, and this is a big BUT, pay ZERO attention to day to day changes. Weigh daily right after you wake up after you pee, record those weights in a log. After 7 days, take an average. This number is slightly more meaningful then your daily weights but again, pay little attention to it. After a month start comparing the averages. This is much more significant and will show your actual progress. The advantage of averaging is if you happen to weigh in on a day where water retention is unusually high or low due to sodium or glycogen or any of the MILLION different things that cause fluctuations, you don't have to freak about the massive shift in weight. The averages will account for the high days and the lows days and give you an idea of what you really weigh. After a month goes by, your averages should go in the downward direction, if they do not then you need to either reduce calories, increase exercise, or both.

I feel like this approach is best when you get closer to your goals and your weight loss becomes prone to stalls. Many times if you look at trends rather then weigh ins you realize what you think is a "stall" is actually just non linear weight loss.

Another thing to add, if you have been in a deficit for a prolonged time a 2 week diet break might be a good idea. A diet break is not a free for all. You still count calories just as strictly as when you are actively trying to lose, you simply eat at maintenance. This provides a mental break as well as allowing hormones like leptin and cortisol to return to normal. Trying those two things should help you reach your goal. Sometimes it can feel like the last 10 is harder to lose then the first 50 but with consistency, you'll get there!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can shake things up by trying something new for a week or two. Maybe consider doing some IF or totally changing your exercise routine around. Or make some major changes to what you eat for a week or two. June of 2013 was a long time ago. Good luck and nice work!
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we relax a little too much on the weekends without realizing it and that washes away all our hard work from the week.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You may not be losing weight but are you losing inches?
    You state that you're lifting weights also, are you trading fat for muscle on the scale?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    In addition to what's already been suggested, do you continually INCREASE the intensity of your elliptical workout? You don't want to do the same workout every day. You want to continually go harder, faster, etc. but not necessarily increase the time. Try HIIT for those 30 min. That's what I do and it has worked great for me!

Congrats on your huge accomplishment already, though!
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Rather then a weekly weigh in, which may skew results if you happen to weigh in on a high or low day, I would suggest you weigh daily. BUT, and this is a big BUT, pay ZERO attention to day to day changes. Weigh daily right after you wake up after you pee, record those weights in a log. After 7 days, take an average. This number is slightly more meaningful then your daily weights but again, pay little attention to it. After a month start comparing the averages. This is much more significant and will show your actual progress. The advantage of averaging is if you happen to weigh in on a day where water retention is unusually high or low due to sodium or glycogen or any of the MILLION different things that cause fluctuations, you don't have to freak about the massive shift in weight. The averages will account for the high days and the lows days and give you an idea of what you really weigh. After a month goes by, your averages should go in the downward direction, if they do not then you need to either reduce calories, increase exercise, or both.

I feel like this approach is best when you get closer to your goals and your weight loss becomes prone to stalls. Many times if you look at trends rather then weigh ins you realize what you think is a "stall" is actually just non linear weight loss.

I'm not close to my weight loss goal yet but I love this idea! i weigh daily (I just can't help myself) but I don't log it. I think I will start doing that and taking the average...this would probably help how I feel mentally when I get discouraged from seeing a really low weight followed by a higher weight, up, down, repeat. Thanks for sharing this!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I was afraid that might be the answer... lol
    With so few pounds left to go, your weight loss will definitely slow down. Congrats on making it this far! You should be proud! You've already gotten some good advice so far but let me give you one more piece.

You should be planning to do this for life. It's not a race, it's a journey. With as much determination and willpower you've displayed so far, you'll get to your goal eventually so what's the hurry? Once you reach your goal you'll be switching to maintenance which won't be what you were doing before you decided to lose weight. Adding a few more calories now is a good thing.

A few things to be sure you've checked. If you're using a HRM to get your calorie burns, be sure you've updated your weight on it. Otherwise, it will be giving you too high of a calorie burn for your workouts. You should be upping the intensity of your workouts or exchanging one for something new. When you're body gets used to what you're doing, less calories are burned doing that activity.

Good luck! I know you'll get to your goal
  • tkbuc
    tkbuc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! All of the advice is exactly what I am needing!