What does lifting heavy do?

Options

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Your question has already been answered. I just wanted to add that you should do yoga after your work out, instead of before.
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump to drill it into my head. I'm seeking a happy medium
  • prisky780
    prisky780 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm actually at 10 lbs now. I'm slowly increasing the size and it is working. I'm 5 feet and started between 104/105 lbs. Yes, you can compare my arms to a toddler and no I'm not kidding. I did my first measurement 2 days ago and I increased 1 and 1/2 inch.

The problem is when I gain weight, I only gain weight on my waist and my thigh area. I don't think I have gained any weight since my high school days around arms or neck or around my wrist area. If any, maybe 1/2 a inch around my arm.

But since when you have to lose belly fat, you have to lose all around, I said to my trainer 'let's tone up my body and lose body fat and increase some muscle'. So I'm working on it.

Problem is I have completed my month of workouts and after the measurement, I don't think I lost any weight around my waist. I have gained thigh, calf, arms, neck, and chest area. Shouldn't I be seeing "SOME" result on my waist now? I mean even if it a half a inch or even less. In fact I think I have gained half 1 inch more.

So my confusion if lifting is really helping. Am I targeting the correct muscle? Am I not eating right? When should I expect to see any result? I'm just not sure "WHERE and HOW" to improve. I'm not so much focused on the number on the scale but the inches on the measuring tape.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy helps increase your strength (as you are seeing) and, depending on whether you are cutting or bulking, it will help maintain/preserve muscle mass, or increase it.

Cutting = eating at a deficit so as to lose weight, optimally to lose fat and not muscle.
    Bulking = eating at a surplus so as to gain muscle mass.

As for abs: One thing to recognize is that you cannot target fat loss. When your body starts to burn fat from your body, it will take the fat from all over. Your stomach may feel bigger, and actually be bigger, because you're developing the muscles underneath the fat. The muscles get bigger, the fat stays the same, so you will gain size as a whole.

Lifting Heavy: this is basically a requirement for building strength. The "toned" look you are after is a product of muscle mass and low body fat percentage. Unfortunately you cannot really do both at the same time (add muscle and cut fat). It's more or less a one-or-the-other approach. Most often what happens is people choose to cut first, eating at a deficit and cutting body fat. To ensure that more fat is lost and less muscle is lost during this process of cutting, strength training - lifting heavy - is done to preserve the muscle you already have (because if you don't lift, you will lose fat AND muscle).

Once you've reached a low enough body fat percentage to be happy, then you can choose to add additional muscle, if you wish, but eating a slight caloric surplus and continuing to lift heavy.

You do not need to "blast out" cardio to lose body fat. Walking is an effective enough cardio exercise to sufficiently create a larger calorie deficit for weight loss.

What you want to do, ideally, is eat at a slight caloric deficit, and then create a larger deficit through exercise. Everything you do, from strength training to yoga to walking or running, will burn calories.

Maintain a consistent deficit and you will lose weight.

^^Listen to this. Yeah no one else really needs to add a comment. Lol
  • focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    Lifting heavy helps increase your strength (as you are seeing) and, depending on whether you are cutting or bulking, it will help maintain/preserve muscle mass, or increase it.

Cutting = eating at a deficit so as to lose weight, optimally to lose fat and not muscle.

As for abs: One thing to recognize is that you cannot target fat loss. When your body starts to burn fat from your body, it will take the fat from all over. Your stomach may feel bigger, and actually be bigger, because you're developing the muscles underneath the fat. The muscles get bigger, the fat stays the same, so you will gain size as a whole.

Lifting Heavy: this is basically a requirement for building strength. The "toned" look you are after is a product of muscle mass and low body fat percentage. Unfortunately you cannot really do both at the same time (add muscle and cut fat). It's more or less a one-or-the-other approach. Most often what happens is people choose to cut first, eating at a deficit and cutting body fat. To ensure that more fat is lost and less muscle is lost during this process of cutting, strength training - lifting heavy - is done to preserve the muscle you already have (because if you don't lift, you will lose fat AND muscle).

Once you've reached a low enough body fat percentage to be happy, then you can choose to add additional muscle, if you wish, but eating a slight caloric surplus and continuing to lift heavy.

You do not need to "blast out" cardio to lose body fat. Walking is an effective enough cardio exercise to sufficiently create a larger calorie deficit for weight loss.

What you want to do, ideally, is eat at a slight caloric deficit, and then create a larger deficit through exercise. Everything you do, from strength training to yoga to walking or running, will burn calories.

I think I love you....This is literally every question I've always asked and you have answered it so beautifully...It finally made sense to me. :flowerforyou:
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this to be rude, so hear me out. You can lift more than 10 lbs. You say you're "petite," but a toddler can lift more than 3 lbs, which is the weight you say you started at, so just how petite are you? 2 feet tall? I'm not making fun of you for potentially being weak - I'm suggesting that you're underestimating your own strength. Most women are able to start with the bar (45 lbs) on squats and bench press and a bit more on deadlifts (I started with 95 lbs with no prior lifting experience). "Feeling a burn" on the third rep doesn't mean that's as heavy as you can go. I just really doubt that you're some special butterfly that legitimately can't lift more than 10 lbs unless you have some sort of medical issue. If you can pick up a one-year-old, you're lifting more than 10 lbs. Hell, I've picked up purses that were more than 10 lbs.

Lift heavier. Just try it. I think you'll surprise yourself. Don't let the "I'm a petite little lady" excuse hold you back from getting as much out of your workout as you possibly can.

Thank you. I couldn't word it nicely. I am petite (5' 1/2"), and my 4 year old, whom I regularly pick up, weighs 40 lbs. You CAN, you SHOULD, you NEED to lift real weights. They help you medically on SO. MANY. LEVELS. Everything from regulating blood pressure and lowering instances of cardiac unrest to improving bone density to help reduce chances of developing bone disorders.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm actually at 10 lbs now. I'm slowly increasing the size and it is working. I'm 5 feet and started between 104/105 lbs. Yes, you can compare my arms to a toddler and no I'm not kidding. I did my first measurement 2 days ago and I increased 1 and 1/2 inch.

The problem is when I gain weight, I only gain weight on my waist and my thigh area. I don't think I have gained any weight since my high school days around arms or neck or around my wrist area. If any, maybe 1/2 a inch around my arm.

But since when you have to lose belly fat, you have to lose all around, I said to my trainer 'let's tone up my body and lose body fat and increase some muscle'. So I'm working on it.

Problem is I have completed my month of workouts and after the measurement, I don't think I lost any weight around my waist. I have gained thigh, calf, arms, neck, and chest area. Shouldn't I be seeing "SOME" result on my waist now? I mean even if it a half a inch or even less. In fact I think I have gained half 1 inch more.

So my confusion if lifting is really helping. Am I targeting the correct muscle? Am I not eating right? When should I expect to see any result? I'm just not sure "WHERE and HOW" to improve. I'm not so much focused on the number on the scale but the inches on the measuring tape.

That weight and size gain would be water weight. when new to exercise or changing intensity your muscles store water, once you get use to the routine your muscles will shed most of the excess water.

And don't just lift weights, follow a tried tested and true lifting program (starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, strong curves, new rules of lifting, etc.)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    give the 5x5 program a 12 week cycle... while maintaining your calorie intake... add a bit more protein (to help with muscle repair while you are lifting)... NOTE: a month is simply NOT long enough to gauge any significant changes... your body is currently re-establishing it's chemistry to cope with your new activity level... muscles begin to retain water and glycogen as you stress your muscles...so you'll see some short term "size" differentials from when you began... again these are short term as your body starts looking for a new "normal"

NOTHING is going to speed up the process... it will take time, sweat and education to get where you are going.. be patient... and enjoy the journey.

and Welcome to MFP:bigsmile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What lifting routine are you doing?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this to be rude, so hear me out. You can lift more than 10 lbs. You say you're "petite," but a toddler can lift more than 3 lbs, which is the weight you say you started at, so just how petite are you?

Just a cute story. My 3 year old went with me to lift one day. Without prompting, he walked over to the dumbbells, picked up some 5's (they may have been 3's, can't remember) and started doing suitcase deadlifts....with good form! I don't even do those!

e3ef6481e6037c9b37f1849a577d800c3759.jpg
  • gdreeves71
    Options
    . However, no improvement on my abs. I feel as if my stomach has gotten even bigger.

Also, literally learned about eating deficit yesterday. I was barely eating 1100 and my intake should be 1378. Bumped it up today. Could it be that my diet was too low for me to lose all that fat?

First....you will get bigger with adding weights if you're not burning fat that covers it.
    Second...yes you're not eating enough. Your body metabolism will actually slow to conserve energy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this to be rude, so hear me out. You can lift more than 10 lbs. You say you're "petite," but a toddler can lift more than 3 lbs, which is the weight you say you started at, so just how petite are you?

Just a cute story. My 3 year old went with me to lift one day. Without prompting, he walked over to the dumbbells, picked up some 5's (they may have been 3's, can't remember) and started doing suitcase deadlifts....with good form! I don't even do those!

cute-

it's hysterical how many people don't know how to pick stuff up- it's the most basic and natural thing to need to know how to do.

good job!!!!

Also why is this not an answer

"what does heavy lifting do"
    <makes you awesome>
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you start a new exercise regime, your muscles will bloat with water for repair. So those "gains" in measurement you're seeing from one month of lifting is NOT an increase in muscle, but just an increase in water. In a few more weeks, your body will get used to the new routine and the bloat will disappear.

This is why so many women get discouraged when starting to lift. They think they are getting that dreaded bulk super fast, when in reality, it's just water weight that will disappear in just a few more weeks.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I also want to point out that resistance training will also maintain metabolic functions, maintain strong bones and help offset disease like osteoporosis <-- big for women.

Excellent point - this is why I'm bullying my mum into lifting =D
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

cute-

it's hysterical how many people don't know how to pick stuff up- it's the most basic and natural thing to need to know how to do.

good job!!!!

Also why is this not an answer

"what does heavy lifting do"
    <makes you awesome>

also...increase in libido.

I guess because the increase in testosterone.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    here is what heavy lifting has done for me. Mentally i feel great , full of endorphins, made lots of new friends in the gym that also lift which keeps me motivated to stay active and lift. I truly lift heavy, i dont just lift 5 pounds more than i think i can. I used to just lift weights until i found that mental and physical rush i get from a heavy 1RM . So i got into power lifting, and its pushed me through mental barriers and i've challenged myself , set personal goals that i've accomplished or failed and kept on trying .
    Physically, i've learned so much about my body that i never knew about. I am strong, i carry my own groceries to the car. My muscles now hold my skeleton together tightly in perfect posture. I learned how to bend over and pick things up without hurting my back. I am proud of my body now, even though i have a few extra pounds and imperfections. Being a woman, we will never get "bulky" or have bulging muscles. But my body has taken on a curvy feminine shape, the shape we are supposed to have. Everything is firmly in its place. So thats what lifting heavy has done for me.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

^^Listen to this. Yeah no one else really needs to add a comment. Lol

^this.

Do it.
    Stick with it.
    Be consistent.
    See results.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options

this.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I think I love you....This is literally every question I've always asked and you have answered it so beautifully...It finally made sense to me. :flowerforyou:
    Same here, Dozer! I've been grumbling all week about gaining inches in my thighs & waist (but LOSING in my chest). I'm finally "getting it": I'm gaining muscle and as the fat disappears the muscle is building. Just have to hang in there for the long haul.
    Again, great explanation!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

So if i cannot add muscle and cut fat at the same time, should i even bother lifting weights if i am in weight loss mode?

Thanks, CF.

You can do both at the same time especially if you are a newbie. I have seen big gains in muscle while losing fats.