Ideas for Leftover Rotisserie Chicken??

Options
carrieliz81
carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
Hi all! The fiancé made me a delicious rotisserie beer can chicken for dinner last night, and it turned out really well! The chicken is very shreddy but kinda still in chunks.

What are some creative recipe ideas for the leftovers? So far I have thought of bbq chicken sandwiches, chicken pot pie, chicken a la king, chicken soup, chicken chili, and chicken salad.

What are your favorite leftover chicken recipes?

Replies

• meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i do a chicken broccoli mushroom casserole, on the request of my husband. it was a favorite of his growing up.

i don't know what your preferred eating style is, so feel free to adapt this as necessary. i make a cream of mushroom soup from scratch (big bunch o' mushrooms, sliced thin, and chopped garlic or shallot, seasoned with salt, pepper, and thyme, and sauteed in olive oil till nicely browned. remove from pan. make a roux of 3T flour, 3T olive oil or butter, cook till just starting to brown, then add 3 cups of warmed milk and whisk vigorously. season as you see fit as it thickens, then add mushrooms & shallot/garlic back in. add shredded mozzarella cheese as you see fit), steam a few big handfuls of broccoli, and dump everything into a high-sided corningware. i'll usually put half the veggie/chicken into the dish, add more shredded cheese on that, put in the rest of the veggie/chicken, then dump the mushroom soup on top and mix together while it's all still warm. i top it with slices of provolone and grated parmesan, sprinkle garlic powder and black pepper on top. bake at 350 for about 20 minutes to melt the cheese.

yes, this will be high in calories per serving, but when i make it i plan ahead and make sure i've saved up my calories that day.

i'll also sautee onions, mushrooms, and red bell peppers, deglaze the pan with some worcestershire sauce, maybe a little white wine, add the shredded chicken to warm, separate into servings in the pan, and lay on a slice of provolone philly-cheesesteak-style to melt. cover the pan for a few minutes, then carefully scoop into tortillas for wraps.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here is a soup that uses leftover chicken: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/rotisserie-chicken-soup.html

My favorite right now Suiza Rellenos Tacos. You can use poached chicken or leftover rotisserie chicken. Really good!
    Link: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/07/suiza-rellenos-tacos.html
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Chicken enchiladas-just mix the chicken (shredded) with salsa and cheddar, roll in a tortilla, top with enchilada sauce and bake. Easy and good!

Also, just found a recipe for chicken gumbo that my husband loves (allrecipes.com)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Avocado Chicken Salad is amazing too! This recipe is so good: http://relishscd.blogspot.ca/2012/11/avacado-chicken-salad-scd-paleo.html
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I typically use it in chicken salad or soups. Light broth soups, the chicken tends to add a lot of flavor and some richness. It's also very good in an alfredo if you've got some calories saved up.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Chicken TACOS! I'll use any excuse to have a taco. Just sprinkle on a little cumin and put in a soft taco with whatever fixins you have.

Enchiladas are good and a great use for leftover chicken. I never have enough calories for all the cheese I like, so I do resort to the reduced fat option for cheese.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Chicken TACOS! I'll use any excuse to have a taco. Just sprinkle on a little cumin and put in a soft taco with whatever fixins you have.

Enchiladas are good and a great use for leftover chicken. I never have enough calories for all the cheese I like, so I do resort to the reduced fat option for cheese.

Beat me to it! Tacos are my fav for l.o. chicken. Also, similarly, rice paper rolls (spring rolls) are pretty awesome.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Another good one is...
    Cook bones and skin from the rotisserie chicken. For extra flavor ...

Just sauté in butter carrots and onions and celery till soft. Place in a large pot add chicken and stock friom above that you strain.... Simmer slowly then add tiny pieces of canned biscuits to this and cook till they float and done... Roll the biscuit flat and add a little flour so it doesn't stick and cut each biscuit into maybe 8 pieces.... I use 3-4 biscuits. The best little mini dumplings. So good and satisfying...

This is another version just as yummy.... Directions a little different...

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/sn2tr18a/aunt-fayes-chicken-dumplings.html
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Quesadillas, tacos, chicken salad, chicken soup, or simply a chicken sandwich.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Put it on pizza! I make pizza whenever I want to use up rotisserie chicken and it's delicious.
  • Kristina2k
    Options
    chicken enchiladas, quiche, pasta Alfredo, chicken soup.

My grandmother used to use the chicken bones, neck, fat, skin, and make broth (toss in onion, carrots, garlic, celery & herbs). Just another way to stretch your dollar when buying a whole chicken.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I like to make a normal chicken sandwich (you know, with lettuce tomato avocado little Mayo and mustard) or chicken tacos. I sautee chopped onion, tomato and bell pepper, mix the chicken in it and just add it to a warm corn tortilla. Mmm yummy. :tongue:
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I make up boxed stuffing mix, add chunks of chicken, and moisten with gravy until it gets to desired consistency. Put into a casserole dish and bake till nice and bubbly. Enjoy with cranberry sauce and a salad.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I make up boxed stuffing mix, add chunks of chicken, and moisten with gravy until it gets to desired consistency. Put into a casserole dish and bake till nice and bubbly. Enjoy with cranberry sauce and a salad.

Sounds so good!
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used leftover chicken for stir-fry (chunks, not shredded), tacos and jambalaya. When I'm lazy, I use Zatarain's jambalaya mix, add chicken and sausage or you can make from scratch.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cooked egg noodles, a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup and a can of peas all in a big pan til its warm. yum.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Put it on pizza! I make pizza whenever I want to use up rotisserie chicken and it's delicious.

You are now my hero.
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to use the chicken bones, neck, fat, skin, and make broth (toss in onion, carrots, garlic, celery & herbs). Just another way to stretch your dollar when buying a whole chicken.

+1 for this. I put them all in a plastic container and freeze them, then once I have 3, put them in my large crock pot with root veggies, onions, celery, top up to the top with water and cook on low for 8 hours. I get about 5-6 pints of really good stock (broth) that I then freeze in half pint batches and use when I want it.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I top a green salad with chicken, hot sauce drops and blue cheese dressing.