No calories with strength training

Options
How come when I input any strength training I do, it doesn't show any calories burnt? Only when you do cardio will it show burnt calories? The program I am using says that I am burning calories when I'm doing say dumbell curls or shoulder presses. I'm just curious!

Replies

• courtrey88
    Options
    I often wondered this myself!
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    To track your calories you have to enter strength training under cardio and it will add your calories burned that way :smile:
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    The ST tracker is just to record what you did. Everyone burns calories at a different rate during ST so it is hard to judge without using an HRM. If you want an estimate, add "strength training" and the number of minutes using the *cardio* tracker. But keep it accurate - no counting rest breaks! :tongue:
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi,

Under strength training you can enter the exercises and weights and reps you have done.

Under cardio you can enter strength training for xx mins to get a cal burn value.

Steve
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    you can burn calories using free weights...it's called circuit training I think.

I use this site and it has lifting weights on it....

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
    :happy:
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you look under Strength Training on the Cardiovascular database here, you'll find a generic heading for weight training @ 290ish calories/hour.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    you have to find out how many calories you burned and add it to that section above. I sent an email to the maker of the dumbbell workout video that I use and they sent me back an email with some information about the calories burned. I shaved off some of the calories to adjust the the different weights + a little to be conservative. you are welcome to add me to your friend list and take a look at my exercise diary for a guideline. Hope this helps you out.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You might try this site too:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

It's got such an extensive database and it will calculate the cals for you based on your weight and time.