TDEE Calorie Goal- Questions

Options
Here are my stats:
Female
35 years
5'6"
260 lbs
desk job

Using the TDEE estimator at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html my TDEE is 2920 (I entered 10 hrs resting, 11 hrs very light, 2 hrs light, 2 hr moderate activity- being conservative here so as not to over estimate)

If I set my calorie goal at TDEE -20% that brings me to 2336 calories/day. Assuming the above activity levels and that I don't have mroe activity in my day than that.

Now, same stats in MFP (female, 35 years, 5'6", 260 lbs, sedentary) plus 3 workouts at 45 min each per week, set to lose 2 lbs/week. MFP has me at 1360 calories.

I DO understand the difference b/w MFP's method and TDEE as with MFP you "eat back" your fitness calories. But on a GOOD day I burn around 400 calories with exercise. So that would bring me to 1760 calories according to MFP.

That's an almost 600 calorie/day difference between the two. 2336 calories SCARES the bejesus out of me. That seems like too high and I just don't believe I can lose weight at that intake.

Talk me off the ledge here- right now 1360 feels too low. And I get that I can increase that by changing my loss goal from 2 lbs to 1.5 lbs/week with MFP. But at 260 with a goal weight of 150 right now I DO want to lose 2 lbs/week. But 2336 seriously scares me.

Can I get some feedback on this? Is 2336 a realistic caloric intake for someone of my height/weight to lose 2 lbs a week? Should I just take the average of the two and shoot for that? I'd like to start tracking macros so I want to be sure my caloric intake is set accurately... but this just feels super high.

Replies

• enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    PS Just this week I started using a food scale, so while it's possible I've been underestimating my caloric intake up until now I find it doubtful I've underestimated it that grossly. I just want a really good starting point to go from to start seeing this weight come off.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, it looks like you've been filling it out for a while. Do you weigh yourself and record that regularly?

If you do, this tool will help you determine your TDEE from your intake and weight history: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/new-mfp-data-export-tool-major-update-659927

2300 does sounds a bit high given your stats and workout routine. This calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

give a TDEE-20% goal of about 2100. That goal will put you around 1 lb/week. That is the big reason for the difference.
  • enzosmama
    Options
    I have been logging for a while but I rarely get through a week where I log 100% of 100% if that makes sense. I try, but not hard enough. Something I'm working on. I weigh myself 1-3x/week and log every weight here. I have also started taking measurements.

How were you able to determine that the 2100-20% is about 1 lb/week? I also used the scoobyworkshop calculator and came up with 2382. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, a little older, and I started out at almost 240. In the beginning, I was losing while eating 2000-2200 calories per day, with NO exercise.

If you really want to lose 2 lb/week (which you can do just fine @ your current size, but be sure to slow it down when you get closer to/below 200lbs), you can do it. It may take some trial and error.

I would focus now on logging 100% of 100% :) I think that will serve you better in the long run, rather than worrying about whether you'll eat 2000 or 1800. Once you have the hang of logging your food and regularly measuring yourself (whether that's by weight, measuring tape, pictures, etc), then you can fine tune your caloric intake.

Based on your stats, why don't you start w/ 2000 per day and go from there? After a month, if you have been logging accurately and are not content with the amount of weight that has come off (AND GIVE IT A MONTH, NOT A WEEK), then adjust downwards.

Edited for a typo.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    It's because you chose a different activity level (3-5 hours/week of moderate exercise). Based on three 45 minute workouts per week, I chose "1-3 hours of light exercise/week".

Using the activity method I chose, that gives a TDEE of 2643 and a goal of 2114, a daily deficit of 529 calories/day. 1 lb/week is a 500 calorie/day deficit. 2 lbs week would give you a goal of 1614, which is pretty close to what MFP will actually have you eat once you factor in your workouts.
  • enzosmama
    Options
    It's because you chose a different activity level (3-5 hours/week of moderate exercise). Based on three 45 minute workouts per week, I chose "1-3 hours of light exercise/week".

Using the activity method I chose, that gives a TDEE of 2643 and a goal of 2114, a daily deficit of 529 calories/day. 1 lb/week is a 500 calorie/day deficit. 2 lbs week would give you a goal of 1614, which is pretty close to what MFP will actually have you eat once you factor in your workouts.
    This helps, thank you!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I tried that site, and for me I think it comes out a bit high. My #s:

39 years old, female
    134 pounds
    5'5.5"

12 hrs resting
    8 hrs very light (work desk job)
    2.5 hrs light (misc. errands, casual movement)
    1.5 moderate (intentional exercise, on my feet, etc.)

I think this is very conservative, and came up with 2177 TDEE. From other methods (including my Fitbit, and trial & error based on deficit w/ results over time) I believe my TDEE is more accurately 2000-2100. Not a big difference, but again, I went with very low standards for activity.

Why not start with something in-between? Such as 1800-2000, choosing to eat exercise calories or not as you judge based on energy levels, etc. Try this for 4-6 weeks and reassess.

Right now I'm eating 1600-1800, aiming for a 250/day deficit.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps-the #s you posted (TDEE - 20%) would not be a 2 pound loss per week. If 2900 is your true TDEE, 1000 calorie deficit for 2 pounds/week would be around 1900. 2336 would be a little over 1 pound/week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ps-the #s you posted (TDEE - 20%) would not be a 2 pound loss per week. If 2900 is your true TDEE, 1000 calorie deficit for 2 pounds/week would be around 1900. 2336 would be a little over 1 pound/week.

^ This and the MFP calorie count does not take into account your planed 45x3 exercise. Exercise calories will get added to your total so set your MFP goal to 1.5 lbs/week and log exercise and eat those cals back and you should be relatively close to your TDEE numbers.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I have been logging for a while but I rarely get through a week where I log 100% of 100% if that makes sense. I try, but not hard enough. Something I'm working on. I weigh myself 1-3x/week and log every weight here. I have also started taking measurements.

How were you able to determine that the 2100-20% is about 1 lb/week? I also used the scoobyworkshop calculator and came up with 2382. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

If your TDEE is 2900 and you eat 2300 that is a deficit of 600 cals/day which would be 1.2 lbs/week as for the week your deficit would be 4200 (600*7) and to lose 1 lb your deficit should be 3500 cals, so you would lose 1.2/week as 4200/3500 = 1.2
  • erickirb
    Options
    PS Just this week I started using a food scale, so while it's possible I've been underestimating my caloric intake up until now I find it doubtful I've underestimated it that grossly. I just want a really good starting point to go from to start seeing this weight come off.

most people estimate quite poorly. If you are measuring but not weight food you may be 10-25% off, but if eyeballing may be as much as 50% off.