Why drink a gallon of water?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Because drinking from a gallon jug makes me feel hardcore

hahaha I thought body builders because that's who I'm used to seeing with jugs of water.
    Bodybuilders do it because a guy at the gym that is bigger then they are told them do. Bodybuilders do a lot of things because a guy at the gym who was bigger then they are told them to....
    Ha! Love it.

I drop a kid at high school. The football players all arrive at school carrying a gallon jug of water, because their coach told them to, in order to drink that much over the day. I would much rather carry a quart bottle and fill it 4 times but I guess this minimizes the counting for kids.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    If I've been active it's not unheard of. My normal daily water consumption is right at 12 cups. I also live in a desert, so when I'm active outside it's HOT, and I sweat buckets. When I get back from "jogging" I will down 2 of my water bottles, which would be 6 cups.

Speaking of... I need to refill my water bottle. :drinker:
  • iheidibefitt
    iheidibefitt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 gallons a day It makes me feel better and helped me to lose weight

29509743.png

Goodness!!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I hit a liter to a liter and a half not including the 15 oz energy drink in the morning daily. Mostly because my water bottle is .5 L so I can measure that easier. This being said you don't need to you get fluids from everything you drink and a lot of what you eat as well and this helps with hydration.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    So, anyone that drinks that much a day...what's the reasoning?

I'm thirsty?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I think it's overkill as well.

Since all fluids, not just water, count toward your intake, I'd say I drink about 90-100 oz per day. That's about 3/4 of a gallon, which is super easy (a 16 oz bottle during my workout, another between breakfast and lunch, another between lunch and dinner, and another between dinner and bedtime...along with my daily protein smoothie and coffee every morning), but if I tack on another bottle, I'm usually up all night peeing. I did this for a long time and my body never adjusted like they say it does - I felt like I was in the bathroom every 10 minutes. Even if I cut off my fluid intake 2-3 hours before bed, I still got up to pee in the middle of the night at least twice per night. No thanks - this girl needs her sleep!
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    I don't even bother with the 8 glasses a day thing.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Each person is different, that is for sure. I guess 8 is an estimate for people to hover around.

Precisely. People just need to drink more water. It's an average as much as anything. I drink between 8 and 12 glasses a day. Just depends on activity level, whether or not I'm sweating bunches (hard workout or just out in the hot weather), or general thirstiness.

The point really should be: drink mostly water and stay well hydrated. They always have to get anal about numbers. :yawn:

I try to pace myself...a glass every hour to two hours maybe. After a run when it's warm, I drink a glass or two within 30 minutes.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    So, anyone that drinks that much a day...what's the reasoning?

I'm thirsty?

You tell me. If you're thirsty, you're thirsty.

I guess I mean those that aim to drink that much ahead of time.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    I hit a liter to a liter and a half not including the 15 oz energy drink in the morning daily. Mostly because my water bottle is .5 L so I can measure that easier. This being said you don't need to you get fluids from everything you drink and a lot of what you eat as well and this helps with hydration.

That's very true about getting hydrated from food.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    I think it's overkill as well.

Since all fluids, not just water, count toward your intake, I'd say I drink about 90-100 oz per day. That's about 3/4 of a gallon, which is super easy (a 16 oz bottle during my workout, another between breakfast and lunch, another between lunch and dinner, and another between dinner and bedtime...along with my daily protein smoothie and coffee every morning), but if I tack on another bottle, I'm usually up all night peeing. I did this for a long time and my body never adjusted like they say it does - I felt like I was in the bathroom every 10 minutes. Even if I cut off my fluid intake 2-3 hours before bed, I still got up to pee in the middle of the night at least twice per night. No thanks - this girl needs her sleep!

I have to pee about twice between each glass...having a desk job and having to let the other secretary know I need to go so she can cover for me, gosh...I bet they wonder if I have a bladder infection lol
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Before I started trying to lose weight I was drinking anywhere from 44-132oz of Diet Mt Dew a day. I stopped drinking the pop completely and now I drink probably at least 100oz of water per day, sometimes more. I don't do this for any particular reason other than I like water, I like to be drinking something most of the time and I know it's good for me. It is one thing I don't log accurately because I figure it really doesn't matter (in terms of no calories anyway). I have noticed that I drink almost all of this while at work and when I get home in the evening I barely drink anything from then until bedtime. I also drink far less on the weekends. Not really sure why. This article influenced my decision somewhat but it's really not any certain goal I strive for in terms of water consumption.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2480491/How-drinking-litres-water-day-took-years-face.html
  • CatchyBlues
    Options
    I don't drink a gallon personally (maybe 3 cups of tea + 1 cup of plain water right now) but I'm friends with a two piece (couple) band and they usually have a gallon of water with them at their shows. They're full time musicians and living out of a van though so they may be drinking just to help keep themselves full?
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere between 100-120oz of water per day (more, if I go for a long hike or something). Why? I like water. I don't drink any other liquid besides tea (which is literally flavoured water).

I drink it because I feel significantly better when I'm drinking 100oz or more, my skin looks clearer and feels firmer, and because it helps with suppressing appetite.
  • bohoT
    bohoT Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I felt way better when I started drinking more water – I drink about 80 oz. Since I was used to sipping coffee or pop all day I just switched to sipping water all day. I sweat a lot when I workout and tend to be naughty when it comes to sodium so I don’t think I can overdo it. If my pee is clear I ease off a little.

I agree that sometimes when I feel hungry, I’m actually thirsty. So I always try to drink some water first.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I worked for nephrologists (Kidney doctors) for many years and any doctor worth their salt will tell you that the body only needs 2 oz of water per hour for optimal hydration of healthy tissue. When people drink tons of water all day they run the risk of flooding the kidneys causing them to overwork, which isn't good! You will also be flushing out needed electrolytes from the body.
    Just sip water during the day so that by bedtime you have consumed about 32 to 64 oz and you'll be fine! I personally drink about 64 oz a day because I love iced tea and sip that all day long. Any liquid will hydrate you (except alcohol) caffeinated drinks will cause you to pee more but your body is still getting the use of the fluids!
    cheers! "Clink"
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I aim to drink roughly half my body weight in ounces of fluid each day (most of that is water, but that also includes my morning cup of tea, and anything else I might happen to drink that day). I will drink more if it is hot out, or I have a particularly long workout (ie on Saturday I am doing a 62 mile bike ride - I'll probably drink 40-60 ounces just during the ride, and I'll drink my normal 80 ounces on top of that throughout the rest of the day).

That has worked for me over the last 18 months. I find when I drink less, my weight loss stalls, even when my food and exercise remains the same.
  • Da_Big_Kahuna
    Da_Big_Kahuna Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Probably a gallon a day for you is too much. I use an app (Water my Body) to keep track of how much I drink. It calculates a recommended amount based weight, etc. At ~270 lbs, it recommends 137 oz. which is a little more than a gallon. I've slowly ramped up my water intake from 75 oz. to 120 oz. over several months. so I'm still not hitting that gallon mark.
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I worked for nephrologists (Kidney doctors) for many years and any doctor worth their salt will tell you that the body only needs 2 oz of water per hour for optimal hydration of healthy tissue. When people drink tons of water all day they run the risk of flooding the kidneys causing them to overwork, which isn't good! You will also flushing out needed electrolytes from the body.
    Just sip water during the day so that by bedtime you have consumed about 32 to 64 oz and you'll be fine! I personally drink about 64 oz a day because I love iced tea and sip that all day long. Any liquid will hydrate you (except alcohol) caffeinated drinks will cause you to pee more but your body is still getting the use of the fluids!
    cheers! "Clink"

good point. Drinking too much water can flush out needed electrolytes. and besides this, I knew someone who once got water poisoning from drinking too much water because their couch was pushing them to lose more weight.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Horses for courses. I have drunk more than a gallon of water today, but then I spent three hours digging the foundations for my new shed today.

I drink about 3 litres when I have a sedentary day.

I feel fine, mostly.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    I worked for nephrologists (Kidney doctors) for many years and any doctor worth their salt will tell you that the body only needs 2 oz of water per hour for optimal hydration of healthy tissue. When people drink tons of water all day they run the risk of flooding the kidneys causing them to overwork, which isn't good! You will also flushing out needed electrolytes from the body.
    cheers! "Clink"

I can understand and believe that.