Macros?

Options
What are they? Sorry, I am uneducated in this matter and I see everyone talking about them....

Replies

• Reel81
    Options
    Carbohydrates, Protien, Fat. Basic, macro level components of food. People speak of them as number of grams you ingest each day or the percentages of your diet make of each.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Macros are your protein, fat and carbs.

Setting macro goals means picking which percentages of what you want to eat to optomize your weight loss. It's generally agreed that protein is your most important macro to hit while losing weight because it helps you to maintain your muscle mass and keeps you feeling fuller longer
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Percentage of your daily calories composed of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Some exercise programs suggest a certain ratio (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat, for example) to maximize success. These macros can differ based on what your goals are.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I never hit my numbers down there right. Do you do a daily or weekly average on those? Does that matter?
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I never hit my numbers down there right. Do you do a daily or weekly average on those? Does that matter?

Depends what your prioities are for weightloss. If you are simply looking to shed lbs, then no I suppose it doesn't matter. If you are trying to maintain lean muscle while losing then it's probably a good idea to set your protein macros higher to help replenish the muscle you break down while doing resistance exercises. If your primary exercise is extensive cardio, then your probably going to want more carbs in your diet.

You can customize these on the settings page.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Does that involve math? :huh:

Just kidding.

I am working on food right now. Except for adding a couple of 20 minute walks a week, I am not really excercising.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Weekly is the best way to look at it. The body doesn't really work in daily numbers (so missing some macros and/or kcals 1 day doesn't mean you've ruined your progress).

Even weekly is a bit to quick for the body to react, but its much better than daily. So whatever you plan to use as you goal, just keep it in mind that weekly is what matters so if you miss a day or 2 here, you have the other 5 or 6 to make it up.