Does anyone else get itchy??

Options
Not in a gross way.. I just notice that when ever I am jogging after a little bit I start to get all red and itchy in the areas that have a little extra padding. Love handles and thighs mostly. What's up with that?

It's only when I jog though. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    YES.

Usually starts on my quads and works up to my belly/top of my back side- and down into my calves.

I assumed it was poor circulation (typically happened when I hadn't been as on top of my running)- it happened when I swam to- I could feel it.

I HATE IT- it makes me crazy.

Mine kicked in about 1 mile in- and about 2 miles I could run past it and it went away- but it was hard 1-2 miles was a lot of trying to not sit down and quit. It sucks.

My doctor (I asked) said I could have an allergic reaction to working out (I have no idea what that means) but it's NOT to sweat- I sweat all the time. She suggested taking a calirtan or zurtex 20-30 min before going out.

I mostly just don't do a lot of cardio- so I don't worry about it- but yeah its' a thing.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    For me, it's mainly on my stomach. It's like the itch is really deep in the tissue too, so scratching doesn't do anything to make it go away. I pretend it's my fat putting up a good fight.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I suggest a good set of moisture wicking running clothes then. For most people, its just irritation from wet skin/wet fabric rubbing against each other, which makes you feel itchy.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes. I think it has something to do with blood flow, but I don't really know. It's not ON the skin, exactly, more like underneath.
  • ILuvCupcakesNLifting87
    Options
    Initially when I first started working out (mostly cardiovascular activity) I would experience that feeling but after a while it went away. I don't get it anymore. I contributed it to poor circulation & blood flow to areas that didn't get much movement. I think reducing my weight & consistently doing more cardio helped. I hope the same for you OP it is annoying.
  • ILuvCupcakesNLifting87
    Options
    For me, it's mainly on my stomach. It's like the itch is really deep in the tissue too, so scratching doesn't do anything to make it go away. I pretend it's my fat putting up a good fight.

LOL Awesome way to look it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I suggest a good set of moisture wicking running clothes then. For most people, its just irritation from wet skin/wet fabric rubbing against each other, which makes you feel itchy.

different kind of itchy- it's not about the fabric- it's internal- you can see the whole area is red from the blood- it's almost splotchy- like you were out in the cold.
  • HazelMcNutty
    HazelMcNutty Posts: 85 Member
    Options

different kind of itchy- it's not about the fabric- it's internal- you can see the whole area is red from the blood- it's almost splotchy- like you were out in the cold.

yeah, I usually run in shorts so there's not even any material on my legs. I think it's just because I'm allergic to running.. lol it's not my strong suite by far. So glad to know I'm not a crazy person that just imagines it. Because I was pretty sure that's what it was. :)
  • HazelMcNutty
    HazelMcNutty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Initially when I first started working out (mostly cardiovascular activity) I would experience that feeling but after a while it went away. I don't get it anymore. I contributed it to poor circulation & blood flow to areas that didn't get much movement. I think reducing my weight & consistently doing more cardio helped. I hope the same for you OP it is annoying.

Thanks! it is really annoying. I'm hoping as long as I keep up my morning jogs eventually it will diminish. I should start trying to note how long it takes to happen.
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I get it on my neck/upper chest, upper arms & across my stomach. I just assumed its from being hot & sweat drying on my skin lol.
  • strutdivastrut
    strutdivastrut Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes I get the same thing when I jog. Allergy pills helps before jogging too.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    When it gets cool out (40 -60 degrees) and I start sweating I can get hives all over, starting in the areas most exposed to the breeze.... it so bad that I carry benadryl with me all the time.... I googled it and found out that it is an actual "allergy"... sweat evaporating in cool weather.... I wear dry-fit, but doesn't matter... the only solution I have found to work is to slightly over-dress. Its crazy, but as soon as the temp drops below 40 I never have any issues... And since running in the heat smacks me around, I have become a dedicated winter runner.... I have learned to love running in the cold...
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes. I think it has something to do with blood flow, but I don't really know. It's not ON the skin, exactly, more like underneath.

I agree with this lady. It goes away over time. (I used to run years ago)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I went running Monday and got a dozen+ mosquito bites (all on clothed areas, I might add). I am super itchy now. :(
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    ha ha. no.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I just started working out, as well. It goes away as your body gets acclimated to exercise.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My legs always get itchy with cardio. So annoying
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Not in a gross way.. I just notice that when ever I am jogging after a little bit I start to get all red and itchy in the areas that have a little extra padding. Love handles and thighs mostly. What's up with that?

It's only when I jog though. Does this happen to anyone else?

tyTujqkl.jpg

You probably have exercise-induced histamine response. It's very annoying but the more you exercise the less you'll notice it. Your body eventually gets used to the exercise and the itching gets better and goes away completely.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Chaffing or a heat rash.
  • asimonep
    asimonep Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's called exercise induced urticaria. A Zyrtec in the morning helps tremendously :)