Trail Walking Alone - Yay or Nay?

Options
So I have a few parks around my house that have some hiking trails that I'd love to walk. I was able to go to each of the parks once with a buddy, so I was able to see part of the lay out and it's just hilly - no cliffs or anything dangerous.

I'd love to keep going, but my boyfriend worries that I'll be going alone. I don't have a partner to take with me (I have off Thursdays and noone else is, and Sundays, in which the BF doesn't want to do any form of exercise - so I'm alone in most things I do fitness-wise). I currently go for walks/runs around the block from our house (well, I live with the BFs family), but I want to change up the pace every now and then.

I'd love to hear people's opinions - would/have you gone alone for something like that? What can I say to the BF to help ease his mind?

Replies

• PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado and hike and even backpack in the backcountry by myself all the time.

Just make sure to let someone know where you're going and when you expect to return so if you come up missing they'll know where to look.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I hike trails alone all the time. Try to vary your routine as far as when, where, and your walking route. Some trails I walk are pretty busy even during the week. Others I am the only car in the parking lot. I have never had a problem either way. Be aware of what is going on around you, and always go with your gut feeling. If a situation or person doesn't seem right to you in some way, get yourself out of there.

If you know someone who has a dog that would like a walk, see if you can dog sit for your hikes. Nice for the dog and may make you feel safer.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'd do it myself but wouldn't want my gf to do it. which probably sounds sexist, but...

at least let someone know your going is probably a good idea
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hard to really say without actually knowing the area...

I hike and trail ride alone all of the time...

Maybe carry some pepper spray or something with you just in case.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable trekking alone. Especially if there's no cell phone reception. When you trek with a buddy, you have backup in case of exercise-related injury, or encounters with weirdos and/or other wild animals. If you trek alone, be sure to tell someone where you're going.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    When I hike alone I carry a hunting knife, which believe me, I know how to use. But in my favorite park it's better to have a buddy because it's full of dangerous cliffs. I still go alone from time to time because I know the trails well enough that I won't get hurt.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Be aware and plan for potential dangers, but don't live your life in fear.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    My hubby likes to go walk trails alone (when I can't go) and it scares the crap out of me. Seriously. That being said, he goes anyway and just sends me regular text messages so that I know he hasn't been eaten by an alligator or something (one of the trails he likes is near the marsh and sometimes alligators are RIGHT THERE). Anyway, you should probably do whatever you want and just take the proper precautions. Your BF is probably a worrier like I am, lol.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Always let someone know when you plan to go, what route you expect to take and when you plan to be back. There are dangerous people but you must also expect the unexpected, what if you trip and fall down a hill and break your leg or go unconscious?

I heard a story recently about a hiker who just passed out and nobody knew where he was at until days later when found in some bushes. No foul play was discovered, but just imagine if someone knew he was hiking on that route and went looking for him.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It depends on the area. Woods that don't have many people around in or around a town I don't do.
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I live in Central Jersey - one park if I get off the trail, all I have to do is keep walking in straight line and within 10-15 mins I'll hit a major road. A few of the trails actually make you cross a road to continue to the next set of woods. There's definitely cell reception at each location. I had planned on bringing a thing of dog mace with me just in case, and I'll definitely let someone know where I'm going.

I know the BF is a worrier, especially b/c during weeks at a time he's away for school rotations, and he can't easily get back to help me if I needed it.

edited: My computer posted the post before I was finished!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Bring water and some nuts or other snack. Let everyone know where you will be at and route if possible. If it will make him feel better pack bear spray, shoots further than pepper spray. If legal and you're comfortable with it a gun.
    If he's still not happy always remind him he's welcome to join you.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Personally I would not walk alone, unless 1) I had a big dog to go with me, or 2) I'm in broad daylight where there are plenty of people around. Maybe I am overly paranoid but I kind of see myself as an easy target for someone who might have bad intentions. My husband wouldn't feel comfortable with it, either.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go alone unless the trails are highly populated.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I hike trails at several local parks alone (except for my dogs) frequently. I get decent cell reception and always carrry my phone.

I have had friends who made comments but I would hate to wait for someone else to want to go and the pups need to be walked.

My bigger fear is falling or injuring myself (which I have done) but in all honesty I can do that anywhere (I once fell in a dog show ring when no one was around and it took me time to get anyone's attention).

Mapmyfitness will track where you are...I don't know if that helps if they are looking for you but it might?
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I trail run alone all the time. I take my phone with me and let someone know where I will be, and when I should be back.

If you're running at night through the mountains, being alone is a problem, but through a park in the city? Being paranoid to do that falls squarely in the "I won't cross the road because a bus might hit me" category.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I go trail running by myself all the time, up to 11 miles all alone. People are out there minding their own business. Nobody ever bothers me, except on occasion to ask for directions.

Tell the boyfriend you are not a victim.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I go by myself most of the time. I carry my phone (which is an iphone so it is my music and runkeeper program)... I have however taken 2 self defense courses and try to stay alert to my surroundings, which is the best I can do. :happy:

If you are comfortable, go for it! (carry mace if you must :laugh: )
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I run alone all the time. I run at 4:00 am most days.....but when I trail run I start closer to dawn. I have never had any trouble from anyone. I was chased by coyotes once, but never by people. You can't ever let yourself live your life in fear. Do What You Do.