not losing weight since I started lifting weights

Options
Has anyone else run into this problem where you aren't losing weight once you've started strength training? I was losing almost 3 pounds a week with just cardio and diet and then when I added in strength training around the 5 week mark...I'm not losing anything...not gaining (much - about 1.5 pound one week). Any advice, insight or help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• GroovySloth28
    GroovySloth28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is kind of my situation too, although I know I have some outlying factors (i.e. I'm currently on my period, just got back on BCP, etc.) that could be playing into it. I'm wondering if I'm eating enough to compensate for my new activity level, because I am working out a lot more frequently and burning more calories because strength training will do that for ya... Or if my macros are off potentially? I don't know... So I guess this is more of a "I could use an answer too" - type response than an answer :/

How much are you eating every day, and how often are you working out?
  • MajicMaiden13
    Options
    You are building muscle mass. Don't worry about it. It will help you by speeding up your metabolism in the long run. Keep at it and keep counting your calories. If you are under your calories you WILL lose weight.
  • danielmbuckley
    danielmbuckley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed that you're eating more? Strength training itself it's going to cause weight gain. However, there could be a couple of factors:

- Have you reduced your cardio to where you aren't burning as many calories as you used to?
    - Are you eating more because your hunger has increased due to strength training?

Weight gain / loss is:

Calories In - Calories Out = ___ (negative if you want to lose, positive if you want to gain)

Hope this helps! Would really need to review your full diary / workout program to fully evaluate.
  • donnylou
    donnylou Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my diary is open...I have 1750 before exercising and I lift Monday, Wednesday and Friday and cardio those days for 45 minutes...Tuesday and Thursday is just cardio for and hour...I sometimes eat some back but sometimes I don't...I ALWAYS eat at least my 1750 :D I like food!
  • donnylou
    Options
    Duh! It's open now!
  • donnylou
    Options
    - Have you reduced your cardio to where you aren't burning as many calories as you used to?
    - Are you eating more because your hunger has increased due to strength training?

Calories In - Calories Out = ___ (negative if you want to lose, positive if you want to gain)

I did reduce my cardio on the days I lift...only by about 15 minutes for 3 days a week
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You are building muscle mass. Don't worry about it. It will help you by speeding up your metabolism in the long run. Keep at it and keep counting your calories. If you are under your calories you WILL lose weight.

Gaining muscle mass (especially the amount to stall the scale or raise it) takes a spot on diet, hours of progressive overload training, and is extremely hard....for guys...it's exponentially harder for women.

OP you probably have a mix going on here (your minute noob gains) and water retention. When you start a new workout routing or increase the intensity of a current one (especially weight training) your body will retain water. Your weight can raise in this time and can last a few weeks. Stick with it, keep measurements and all of a sudden the weight will drop.

This all is dependent that your tracking is on point and you are staying in your deficit. Also, in a deficit you lose water, fat, and MUSCLE. When you lift in this deficit you work to lose mostly fat and water while retaining that muscle, so you can see the scale move slowly as the tape measure gets smaller.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    you're not building muscle mass yet, if you've only been lifting for a few weeks. What happens is that when a person starts a new exercise routine, in your case lifting, your muscles will retain water for cushioning and repair, until they get used to the different routine. This can mask weight loss significantly - and it can happen over and over as you progressively increase the amount of weight you're lifting. So... Don't sweat it, just keep on. You'll see the water weight drop and the scales shift soon enough. Patience is key here.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing!!!! When you just diet and do cardio you lose a ton of muscle tissue and that's BAD. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn sitting there doing nothing. I would almost tell you to ditch the cardio and lift more and lift HEAVY.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I usually find that if I'm within my calories (and not eating too few calories) that when the scale isn't moving, I will be losing inches. Make sure you are taking measurements to compare your measurements.
  • Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Options
    Same problem here. Bumping to see what others have to say.
  • donnylou
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't measure but will today...I thought it odd that my clothes didn't feel any tighter! I'll just stick with it cause I'm in it for the long haul and not just a quick dip in the scales! Thanks again!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible for your body composition to change and you stay the exact same weight.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

No. A woman is not building muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • RGv2
    Options
    It's totally possible for your body composition to change and you stay the exact same weight.

Yep, it's called a recomp. It's takes ton of work, even more time (exponentially more for women), and eating at maintenance. Not eating at a deficit and lifting for a few weeks.
  • RGv2
    Options

Lulz. Livestrong is like using Wikipedia.

Livestrong has this one too.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/531879-how-to-lose-weight-in-your-arms-fast-without-getting-muscular/

'avoid lifting heavy weights with your arms, as this will build bulky muscles. Instead, pick light weights that allow you to do 10 to 15 reps, or opt for body-weight exercises like pushups and pullups. These exercises will allow you to tone your arms without adding weight to them.'
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're probably building muscle while simultaneously burning an equal amount of fat. (or the fat is turning into muscle, which is known in the science community as transmogrification) it's extremely rare, and and only done by the most experienced of athletes, but congratulations, you've done it by accident!!!
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    strangely, i take a week off heavy exersize every few weeks, only walking and bike riding and such, and i lose the most weight in these weeks. when i exersize more with intense cardio and weight training as i do, my scale moves more slowly but it is when my body looks strongest and i feel the best.

i cant explain why but it seems to be the way it is. i lost 2 1/2 pounds this week and havent been to the gym in 6 days.... the previous gym weeks it was 1/2 pound a week if that.

i can only say, you are doing good work, and only good can come of it.... in the long run.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP are you losing inches?

if so then you are on the right track, sometimes the scale losses and inch losses don't act 1:1 with each other