budget friendly healthy dinners

Options
Hey everyone im looking for ideas and receipes that are budget friendly as well as healthy. If anyone has any ideas please let me know :)

Replies

• monie5903
    monie5903 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    http://www.leannebrown.com/cookbooks

Download her Good and Cheap cookbook. It's a good place to start!
  • Sleaterkitty
    Options
    Here's a couple of ideas that I always cycle through ...usually at the end of the month.

- Marinated Tofu (baked), brown rice, frozen veggies (your choice). Total cost at the store comes out to under $10 and I get several meals out of it.

I marinate tofu in anything from soy sauce, bbq sauce, teriyaki sauce (low in calories), a little marinade goes a long way in tofu for me.

- Polenta Bowls with Turkey Meatballs: One tube (or box) of Polenta and a package of ground turkey. I cube up the polenta or make the box and bake turkey meatballs (seasoned anyway I want). And I can add any frozen veggies I have on top or on the side. Less than $10 and makes several servings.

- Breakfast for Dinner: I make an egg substitute omelette packed full of whatever veggies and protein I have. Then I have a greek yogurt and raisins, grapes, strawberries, whatever for dessert. I'd say that's under $15 and can make quite a few servings.

- Crustless Quiche: I use a small baking dish or a large muffin pan and use egg substitute, whatever veggies and protien, and some cheese and make delicious little quiche. Serve it with a 100 calorie Thomas English Muffin (they're usually $3 for 6 muffins) so it comes out cheap.

Anyway, those are a few of my ideas. Eating well on a budget is always on my mind!

Good luck!
  • remycorso
    Options
    http://theveganstoner.blogspot.com/

Hilarious and awesome. I used to recommend many of these recipes with their beautiful graphic displays of ingredients to youth I worked with who had experienced homelessness and/or were low income. Without telling them explicitly that they were "vegan recipes." ;) Veg/an meals are always a great, cheap option to mix in whenever you can. I love Sleaterkitty's tofu recommendations, too - I also marinate tofu at least a dozen different ways!
  • Amelia0471
    Options
    I love tofu! And the turkey meatballs and polenta sounds so good! There also seems like good receipes in that cookbook thanks for the suggestions :) im really trying to let money interfere with good and healthy dinners but some of the receipes I have found online can get pretty pricey!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Buy in bulk and cook in bulk. Freeze in individual containers and thaw as needed.

If you don't have a crockpot, get one.