Becoming obsessive with counting calories.

Options
I am currently 2 weeks postpartum with baby #3 and I am breast feeding him. I battled a bit of an eating disorder in high school and now I'm scared to start counting calories. I become obsessive about it which isn't good at all let alone when nursing. I don't want my milk supply to drop and I don't want to fall back into old habbits. Any tips on how to keep control without counting calories?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'd probably try to eat mostly proteins and fats since they are more satiating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat a normal amount of healthy foods and skip the calorie counting. :)
  • ClassyxInxCamo
    ClassyxInxCamo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Well, I've had the same fear, but it's far better to obsess with weighing everything you eat than with not eating.

So... Pick your poision.

I've been logging on here daily since before the new year, and wonder myself if I'm a bit obsessed, but, at least I'm eating.

Good luck, hun. MFP and your MFP friends will gladly let you know if you eat too little.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Congrats on baby #3! What worked (and didn't) for you with the first 2?

I vaguely remember being too exhausted to obsess on anything besides getting the baby on a schedule, but I did share the concern and in retrospect probably should have eaten more. I'm totally capable of obsessing on calorie counting, but I didn't have the energy for it then. Nonetheless, I was back to pre-preg clothes by the time I went back to work, and when I stopped nursing at 5 mo, I dropped another 5-10 lb without doing anything special. I was working like a dog on no sleep, though.

My general rule for anybody (not just pregnant or post-partum women) is sleep comes first. Really focus on doing what you have to do to get enough rest before focusing on calories. I like the protein & fat advice, too. Good for baby and mom! Plus tons of water--like 3 or more liters/day. Congrats again!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Just relax and focus on your new addition right now. This being your third, I'm sure you have your hands full and counting calories should be the last thing you need to worry about right now. Give your self some time.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Why not find a suitable macro and calorie diet for nursing and count to meet that ? Can't be any worse then just eating whatever