Plantar fasciitis & jogging

Options
Hi! I want to jog some nearby trails, but am worried it will aggravate my plantar fasciitis (pain on the bottom of the feet). Has anyone with this condition had success jogging without foot pain? Did special shoes help? Or do you have favorite stretching techniques that helped?

Replies

• millermichellelea
    Options
    Hi! I want to jog some nearby trails, but am worried it will aggravate my plantar fasciitis (pain on the bottom of the feet). Has anyone with this condition had success jogging without foot pain? Did special shoes help? Or do you have favorite stretching techniques that helped?

I sooo have it!!! I can run on mine now -- finally. My chiropractor had me get the Dr. Scholl's inserts at Wal-mart - not the normal ones, but the ones that you have to get on the scale and measure your weight/foot pressure. [they cost $50.00]. He told me that he could build me some, but that it would cost $200 or I could do that. Needless to say, I am now on my second pair as I wore the first set out. I can go without my shoes around the house again and once in a while wear flip flops again. I wear them in EVERY shoe--all day long and also in my workout shoes. I never workout without them!! Hope this helps
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but I would find a good running store and be fitted for a pair of running shoes. They watch you run a bit and suggest shoes that complement and/or correct your running style. I went to Luke's Locker here in the Dallas area and it has made a big difference for me in the feet and knees.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I bought some Superfeet inserts to my shoes and was able to job on a treadmill. My heals didn't hurt during it the job. I decided it was probably not a good idea to put my feet through that kind of pounding until I resolved my Plantar Fasciitis. I use an eliptical machine which is wonderful and doesn't bother it at all.

I will be curious to see if anyone else has had success or issues with jogging with this problem.
  • tifanieb
    tifanieb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My husband has the same condition. His orthopedic doctor gave him resistance bands for stretching his feet. when he stretches everyday he has no problem. the trick is to do it in the am, before you work out, after you work out, and before you go to bed. i recommend stretching before you even set foot out of bed as this will give you the best stretch and you won't get that sharp pain first thing in the morning when you first step down.
    My husband is in the military so i am pretty sure you will be able to jog. lol he is able to run, and stand up at work all day. it just has to become habit for you.

hope this helps. and good luck.
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had p.f. and made it MUCH better by wearing super tight little running shoes (1/2 a size smaller than my reg size) ALL the time (in the house, everywhere) for about 6 months, which really really helped. THEN my chiropractor adjusted my foot by massaging it and putting a cold laser on it. All better! Anyway - make sure you have super snug running shoes! Good luck!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I had it for a couple of years and am very glad it's GONE. Luckily for me my daughter-in-law is a massage therapist, and when she found out that I was miserable with the PF she started working on my feet and taught me how to stretch properly.

One thing I still do every morning before I get out of bed is to stick my legs up in the air, rotate my ankles around and flex my feet so my toes point at my face, giving the back of my legs and bottoms of my feet a good stretch. Then I bring my legs down and press my thumbs into the arch, right in front of the heel, and massage all the way up to the ball of my foot and back a couple of times. That used to hurt like heck but now it feels good - and I no longer have pain when I get out of bed or while walking or jogging.

She also taught me to roll a frozen water bottle under my feet to help reduce the inflammation in there. I wasn't a fan at first because I'm super sensitive about my feet, but it did seem to help.

Jogging might aggravate it until you can heal up a bit - could you try walking for awhile and then introduce jogging slowly?
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Can't stress enough how important it is to have good shoes-- no cheap althletic shoes!!!
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing. You read some about stretching the heel while puching up against a wall. It's okay. The stretch I found realy helps is sitting corss legged. Take your right otes and bend them back with you right hand and pull them up toward the right shin. Get a really good stretch and massage the bottom of the foor from the heel to the ball while doing this. You'll get a really good stretch. I do this inthe morning before even stepping out of bed.

I find that if you start the day off with those tendons tight, it will stick with you all day.

part of it is that when we sleep, our calf is such a big and strong muslce it will pull tighter and tighter on those tendons throughot the night. Plus the fact that mst of us will point our towes when sleeping. That's why they are typically the worst in the morning. religiously stretch them first this int he morning and before you go to bed. If you can find time inthe middle of the day to do it, it will help too.

One other last thing you can try is a PF sleeping brace which will prevent your foot from pointing while you sleep, thus keeping the FC tissue from tightening up over night. I use one for a while and I could tell the difference after a few nights. Not the most comfortable thing to wear, but it works.
  • cyfairslam
    cyfairslam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    PF is one of the reasons I am overweight and in MFP now. I have high arches.

I developed PF and was no longer able to walk when I played golf. Walking is how I kept my weight in check. Before I knew it, I had gained weight.

I went to an orthopedic doctor in December and my treatment went as follows:

Anti inflammatory with steroid (1 week)
    Stretches
    Anti inflammatories
    Orthodics

I walked my first 18 holes of golf last weekend but my foot was sore afterwards. I took one anti inflammatory and the soreness went away. I have used over the counter Ibprofen as well with success.

I still feel soreness in my foot so I am not cured. It is not as bad though.

I have custom orthodics instead of the Dr. Schols as they did not work at all for me.

Trying to drop 20+ pounds is my next step and then I may try the night boot.

I have a triathlete friend who suffers from this as well. He stretches and runs and then pops a couple of over the counter Ibprofen.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    I am also running and I am dealing with plantar fasciitis for more than a year now but my case was very painful. There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual.
    When I started my plantar fasciitis treatment at the beginning I took a complete rest and gradually started walking and running. I also started swimming and riding a bicycle to complete my cardio exercise routine.
    I have found taping very useful.
    I think that arch support (in the shoes and in inserts) has made my PF condition worse - the pain has moved also to my arches.
    I have found a very good website page about foot strength exercises in:
    http://plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_exercises.html
    Two more ideas that worked for me:
    Think about your gait. This is the key for your recovery.
    Try swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete.
    Take care & Good luck
  • helenk1
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! I got a pair and was finally able to try them today. Walked the dog, then tried a light jog the last 50 yards to the house. So far, no foot pain...