Activity tracker question

Options
So, my husband wants to get a fitbit or something similar. It is important that it also measure sleep (or lack thereof) activity. I want to get the same as he gets as I am tech incompetent in many ways. But I ahve a few hesitations about the fitbit...

A friend had hers for a few month and then had to replace it after getting it wet. I do dishes during the day, wash my hands, etc and KNOW mine would get wet regularly. how much of a concern is this?

I normally wear a watch - is there any activity tracker that also has a watch built in that is any good?

they are all within $20-30 of each other, and I am willing to pay more for something that fits my real world needs (within reason. Here are the others I have seen but know nothing about:

Soleus Watch - GO Fitness Band Activity Tracker about $120 at Khols before coupons.... is also a watch, and is rechargeable, and is either water resistant (like the Fitbit) or water proof, depending on who you listen to.

Garmin Vivofit Bluetooth Fitness Band is another option, water resistant to 50 M means I could even wear it if I ever started getting back in the pool (like I want to) and even nudges you to get moving if you have been sitting too long! 1+ year battery life.

The iHealth one is WAY too big for my wrist, so I am not considering that one....

Thanks in advance for any input!

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have had the Polar Loop since it came out. I'm happy with it. I don't even pay attention to the sleep function so I can't really even speak to that. My girlfriend has the Garmin and if I was currently shopping I would look into that. It wasn't available, I don't believe, when I received mine. I believe the Garmin also links to MFP which the Loop does not.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fitbit One you just clip onto your body (i always clipped it inside my pocket or my sports bra) so you only wear it on your wrist when you're sleeping (in a special band). That way you don't have to worry about it getting wet.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The fitbit One isn't worn or your wrist. It tracks steps, sleep, flights of stairs, etc... Clip on your pants or your bra. Won't interfere with dishes, hand washing or a watch.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love my fit bit one. I clip it in pants pocket or middle of bra in front. If you clip it in pocket, make sure it's on the inside so it doesn't fall off. I don't find sleep tracker accurate. It's better on sensitive setting, but only logs that you are awake if your arm is moving or you actually get up. It syncs with MFP.
  • infomancer
    infomancer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you attached to the idea of a wristband? I opted for a Fitbit One (which clips to my pocket, waist band, or shoulder strap) instead of the Fitbit Flex (which I think is the name of the wristband option).

Since it's worn elsewhere on the body, it's less of a concern for dishwater, etc.

From what I've seen of the human-device interactions, the Fitbit Flex also seems to be a bit less human-friendly on the wristband. I *really* like being able to see my progress as numbers, rather than glowy lights.

But this may reflect my personal biases: I don't generally wear a watch/bracelet, so it feels odd to me, and I REALLY like numbers :-)