Are my eating habits disordered? Opinions please!

Options
So, the past few weeks I have gotten into a habit of eating very lightly throughout the majority of the day. I'd say I consume, on average, 350-450 calories between breakfast and lunch with no snacking in between. As a result, I have the bulk of my calories to spend in the evening on one large (and sometimes not the healthiest) meal for dinner.

I started doing this because it allows me to basically eat whatever I want at the end of the day and alleviates the burden of counting calories. I have not closely tracked my calorie intake for the past few weeks, but instead have eaten in this pattern, and I have been consistently losing weight each week. My body has gotten used to eating lighter during the day so generally I don't feel too hungry between meals either.

However, I am concerned that this may not be the healthiest approach to eating and is probably not something I can stick to long term. At the same time I really do enjoy the freedom of being able to eat whatever I want for dinner and not having to worry about tracking my calorie intake. I'm completely undecided about whether or not I should continue with this.

Just looking for some opinions and advice.

Thanks!

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals is purely personal preference. If this method of eating is working for you for overall sustainability and satiety, keep up with it. Assuming you are eating a proper caloric amount to fuel your body and aren't losing too aggressively, are getting proper nutrients throughout the day.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating enough, but not going over your limit, when you eat is totally up to you. Eat two meals, eat throughout the day. Whatever works for you.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I have the bulk of my calories to spend in the evening on one large (and sometimes not the healthiest) meal for dinner.

There is your answer. Large is fine cos you have the calories, but what do you mean by "not the healthiest"?

a balanced meal cooked from scratch at home would be good
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    HoneyLissabee, is that you?
  • lillangel3
    lillangel3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done exactly this for the past 8 months and am down 70 pounds. I don't ever feel deprived of anything and never have that "I'm starving" feeling.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

LOL, Good catch Odes! :drinker:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I miss her. :(
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It's actually my preference to eat lighter during the day and have my largest meal in the evening. But I still track all of my calories as accurately as possible and try to eat as close as possible to my macros.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I ate for most of this summer because I spent a lot of my time at home all day, bored. I'm naturally not hungry in the morning & am perfectly happy with some coffee, but during the school year I tend to get in the habit of eating breakfast because I know I will need the fuel for the day. During the summer when I'm doing nothing at all, that's just not the case & coffee can fuel me for most of the day until around 4. Then I eat dinner & do a lot of late snacking. I'm a night owl, so it's better for me to do this because then I'm typically munching until like 2am. During the school year I usually eat breakfast, lunch, & dinner just because that fits best with my schedule, & then bed early since I need to get up for class [which means I don't have to worry about snacking at night as much].

People get really hung up on 'socially acceptable' mealtimes of breakfast/lunch/dinner but that really isn't necessary, as long as you're staying within your goals and not grossly under- or over-eating at the end of the week. Just do what works for you & listen to your body.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 160 lbs in the past year eating my biggest meal of the day last. Both my doctor and my nutritionist know I eat this way and they have never said it was "disordered." This IS something I can do in the long term because my preference has always been to eat more later in the day. You need to "spend" your allotted calories in whatever way works best for YOU!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals is purely personal preference. If this method of eating is working for you for overall sustainability and satiety, keep up with it. Assuming you are eating a proper caloric amount to fuel your body and aren't losing too aggressively, are getting proper nutrients throughout the day.

^^ This.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. Just make sure you are getting adequate macro and micro nutrients.
  • btoblake
    btoblake Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here's the big question:
    Are you able to change to other eating habits for a weekend? (Do you feel nervous or very uncomfortable if you do?)

Other thoughts that can help you keep space between yourself and disorders:
    Are you being kind to yourself? Do you tell yourself things you wouldn't say to a friend, or call yourself names?

Is your doctor comfortable with the speed at which you're losing weight, and your goals?

Are you planning to keep a baseline of 15-20% body fat level?
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You have described intermittent fasting. there is a group on here. I currently follow IF. I eat during an 8 hour window each day which is 2 meals and a couple snacks. I'm just not a person that is hungry in the morning so I wait until afternoon to start eating when I am actually hungry.

As long as you are getting nutritious foods and enough calories overall to sustain healthy weight loss, I think you are fine.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    good to see this, as I want to try this also.

I would not consider my way to be intermittent fasting as I want to eat a light breakfast at 8 am, then just eat a light lunch at 2 pm and then a heavier dinner at 8 pm and a snack at 10 pm
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

Was wondering....
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If you are worried, check it out with a registered dietician or doctor who specializes in ED.

Personally, I like eating a big breakfast and less at dinner. I have reflux and try not to eat a couple of hours prior to bed.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue with it, some people are naturally more hungry on a night.

I have an apple around 11.30am, 600kcal lunch and tea with the family so technically this may be IF but that's just how it's panned out.

As long as you don't feel faint due to lack of food during the day you'll be fine!.
  • Reinventi0n
    Reinventi0n Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't doing something unhealthy or something that might causes issues long term.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It doesn't very disordered. Maybe a little, if you're purposely saving calories because you cannot control yourself at night.

It sounds more like a typical dieter talking about a diet strategy, though.

In order to lose weight, you must take in fewer calories than your body requires. We all do that. We do it on purpose. :)

If YOU think you might have a problem, go talk to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and see what they have to say. It cannot hurt and may help.