Feel awkward at the gym?

Options
So You’re Worried You’ll Stand Out at the Gym?

I think everyone worries that they’ll look silly or out of place when starting something new. It’s a natural part of stepping outside your comfort zone. When I first started going to the gym, I was so aware of everyone else around me that I couldn’t really workout because I was afraid of what people were thinking about me. I felt like they were watching me constantly.

Over the years as I continued working out, I have been able to shut my mind and just workout without worrying so much what other people think. I go to the gym in the morning and turn on my ipod. Sometimes I listen to music but often now I watch Netflix on my ipod while I use the stairstepper or the elliptical. It really helps the time fly by. Perhaps it’s part of being older or part of being married and not in the market for a relationship, but I really just don’t care what the other people in the gym are doing and whether or not they are looking at me. But it’s taken a long time for me to get to this point.

This morning as I looked around, I was suddenly aware of the other people at the gym. I wondered if they saw me as the girl that always uses the elliptical and sometimes has little outbursts of laughter or gets teary eyed while watching something on her ipod. Or the girl that never matches. Or the girl that rarely makes eye contact. Or maybe as the short and stubby girl that is in her own world. Or maybe the girl that occasionally wrecks on the stability ball or crashes down out of a plank and bursts out laughing. Who knows how others see me but I’m sure they’ve picked out something quirky about me.

Everyone has their quirks and wrecks at the gym. Otherwise we would be so boring.

Here's some funny things I've done at the gym:
1) been shot off the back of a treadmill
2) had my ipod/towel/waterbottle shoot off the back of the treadmill
3) got my shoe string stuck around a bike pedal
4) fell off a stability ball...HARD
5) ran into the wall during a group dance class
6) accidently dropped a dumbbell
7) tripped on the treadmill
8) crashed during yoga class and burst out laughing

So...for those of you who fear you’ll look goofy at the gym…rest assured, everyone does. We all have our quirks and accidents. But, unless you are there at the same time with the same people every day (like I am) then it’s unlikely anyone will notice you. And even if they do notice you, do you really care? You aren’t doing it for them anyway. Let them watch you transform.

All the best,
Biddysaurus Rex

***edited to remove other people's behaviors from the post in case they don't take it as lightheartedly as it was intended. ***

Replies

• AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thank you :)
  • Jennycupcakes
    Jennycupcakes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    omg I laughed and cried at this cause I feel the same way!!! How is it that EVERYTIME I go to the gym, it's full of skinny people??!!! I always feel awkward and out of place :(
  • Pandaschaefer
    Options
    You know if I wanted to, I could definitely use that excuse for not going to the gym. The gym I go to is on a military base, so pretty much everyone that is there is in decent shape. Now, I weigh in at a whopping 423lbs..who do you think sticks out? Yes it was hard the first time I walked in there, but you know I just took the attitude that hey...I'm here for improving my health and if you don't like it...don't look.
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ha, that is a very true post. I agree, it takes time to be okay with going to the gym and not feeling so awkward. I remember my first time going, I felt so awkward, but I just put on my ipod, usually listen to a podcast about something so I keep entertained while im working out. I pretty much do stay in my own little world, dont interact or anything with anyone. Just do my thing and move along,
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    On a side note...

I had an embarrassing moment at the gym once-which makes me laugh til this day...

I went to go pick up the paper towels to wipe down my machine (they are normally secured on a short metal pole on this shelf/cover for the trash. The roll I picked was not secured (should have checked that!)

The roll fell off the stand, and unravelled across the gym floor (mind you, it was a busy day), I stood there for 20 seconds in shock before I went chasing after it...I nearly died! I just chuckled to myself and wrapped it back up. This guy walked up to me and said "I'll take some of that!" with a huge grin on his face.

As I walked back to my machine, a few people made comments to me-none of which I heard because my Ipod was playing...and of course I got smerks the rest of my workout wherever I went in the place...or so it seemed!

So, if you feel awkward at the gym, just laugh at remembering my little story and shake it off!
  • littlelioness
    Options
    Oh I feel so intimidated by everything and everybody in the gym except the elliptical and thigh machines lol. I feel the same way you do, too. I try to tell myself that the world does not revolve around me and that people probably don't really notice me any more than "that girl that always does the elliptical" haha. Oh yeah, on that note, I'll go ahead and admit that today I almost fell off the elliptical.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Made me chuckle. :-) It's true.. since getting married I no longer care what anyone else's opinion really is besides my own and my husband's. Some more quirky people:

10.) Gym groupies - young girls that go to the gym in designer workout gear with hair done and a full face of fresh makeup; i.e. they spent more time preparing to go to the gym than actually working out.

11.) Butterflies - people that only spend a few minutes at each cardio machine before changing their mind when it gets hard and moving to a different machine; i.e. treadmill, bike, stair stepper, elliptical
  • theatr3geek
    Options
    You know if I wanted to, I could definitely use that excuse for not going to the gym. The gym I go to is on a military base, so pretty much everyone that is there is in decent shape. Now, I weigh in at a whopping 423lbs..who do you think sticks out? Yes it was hard the first time I walked in there, but you know I just took the attitude that hey...I'm here for improving my health and if you don't like it...don't look.

You're awesome!! And this is a great way to think! I'm only 117 pounds and even I feel out of place at the gym because I'm chubby and 16 years old :P I use the gym in my house for this reason, but I always feel like I get a much better work out at an actual gym. Maybe I'll start going again! Thanks for this!
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    My husband is really big into body building. He lifts weights for 2 or 3 hours every day and has been doing so for years. I've been very lazy about my fitness over the years. When I started this whole weight loss "journey" (I hate that term) I expressed apprehension about going to the gym to him. He told me something that has stuck with me: The people who intimidate you and who you think are judging you either don't notice you or they think, "good for them." The people who do judge others at the gym are the mediocre idiots who, if you noticed them, you wouldn't care what they thought anyway. As I've become a gym regular, I've found this to be true. So I agree, don't worry about what others think at the gym.

I also like this adage my mom always told me: "Don't worry about what others think of you. They don't." :)
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find this so funny because I feel the same way! I just started back to the gym last night but I've been setting an alarm to go for almost a week. I've felt so anxious and get all worked up about it, that I wouldn't go. When I went to the gym (before my 5ish month "break") I felt that way almost every time I went.

(What are people going to think of me)
    (I'm the biggest girl at the gym)
    (Are they staring at me)
    on and on...

The IPOD has done wonders for me. So I'm going to make sure I bring it every time! It puts me in my own world and I feel I get a better workout with it because I go to the beats of the music on the elliptical or tredmill. Although, I'm still self-conscious and have to look around occasionally seeing of anyone is looking at me.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    OR, you could be like me on this very embarassing day:

It was prime gym time, and all of the cardio machines in the cardio room were taken except for ONE treadmill. Beaming with excitement, I walked hurriedly over to the single treadmill and stepped gingerly on the belt, assuming it was off. Unfortunately for me, and my knees, the treadmill was actually moving at 3.0 mph, which doesn't sound that fast, but when I stood on it expecting it to be still and went flying backwards 5 feet, it felt very fast.

No one in the room stopped to ask if I was alright, but in the two-second glance I took around the room, I saw a bunch of wide eyes and smirks.

Needless to say, I decided to take a rest day.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Great post. It makes me sad when people feel like they have to be in shape to go to the gym. That is what it is there for. The only thing that crosses my mind when I am in there is pride for the people there who are working toward a healthier lifestyle. Thank you for posting this. The one thing people need to not feel awkward about is the weights. This is something you need in your workout. Read up on different exercises that you can do-so then you don't feel intimidated by them. Just know everybody had to start out somewhere-you aren't born with muscles like that. Everyone has had an awkward phase.
  • chunk3y_m0nk3y
    Options
    lol This is so true. That is y I wont go to a gym. lol I know ppl look and stare and that is y i bought my own elliptical. I can workout in the privacy of my own home and I can be as quirky as I wanna be without the embarassment of others seeing it!! lol Your post most def made me chuckle a little. I love reading things like that. Thank you for making my day a little happier.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    That was a cute list. I used to always think that people were staring at my back sweat while I was on the elliptical. I was really self-conscious about it but stopped caring after I noticed that others were sweatier than me.
    Another 'person' to add to your list is the person who never cleans their machine after they sweat all over it.
  • timetripper42
    Options
    I felt awkward at first a year ago but now I just go and yes now that you mention it there are alot including myself that have strange habits or attire. The best thing though I have people that come up to me and say man you are dedicated or how much weight have you lost or your looking good. Even though when I look in the mirror I see this person who has gained all this weight they recognize that I have came a long way in a year. Thanks for reminding me.
  • cebrooks2000
    Options
    thanks for this =)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Thats a great post!I once saw a guy at the gym who would do a few reps with the weights the start posing and flexing in the mirros he would also make kissy face at himself,one day he was using one of the weight machiens and he kept grunting and growling really load like he was lifting a ton of weight but it was really like 40 lbs
  • jennylynn84
    Options

1) Floppy girl – skinny girl who walks uphill on the treadmill really fast, holds onto the treadmill handles and swings her hips so hard I’m sure she’s going to need a hip replacement

Saw this girl all the time at my old gym! What the heck is she doing? I guess she's getting a great arm workout though, cuz it always looks like she's holding on for dear life - or so she won't faceplant on that 60-degree incline she's working.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love the quirky additions to the list you all are leaving! :)

And, I think most of us (if we admit it) have done funny things at the gym. It happens. I've dropped weights, tripped on the treadmill, dropped my ipod and had it shoot off the back of the treadmill, got my shoestring stuck on a bike pedal...all kinds of funny stuff. So just being fit doesn't make me cool at the gym. lol I just laugh and go on. And if someone else laughs, just smile at them. Chances are if they come to the gym often enough, you'll see them goof. And if they don't come to the gym often enough to see them goof, well then you won't see the enough to need to worry what they think.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

1) Floppy girl – skinny girl who walks uphill on the treadmill really fast, holds onto the treadmill handles and swings her hips so hard I’m sure she’s going to need a hip replacement

Saw this girl all the time at my old gym! What the heck is she doing? I guess she's getting a great arm workout though, cuz it always looks like she's holding on for dear life - or so she won't faceplant on that 60-degree incline she's working.

i had one at my gym to she had the incline set so high she was almost dangling off it lol one of the trainers told me you shouldnt youse the handles