Do you feel like a huge @$$ when you treat yourself?

Options
Fitdoge
Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
I'm not on a hugely strict healthy diet. I make sure to follow the guidelines I have set here on MFP and exercise when I can. Sometimes I'll treat myself with my favourite candy (sticking to the serving sizes and tracking it) but whenever I eat sweets or other treats (like pizza) I feel like a total @$$. I make sure I won't go over calorie-wise, or sugar or anything else (sodium has been tricky) but I still feel like a jerk, cheating myself out of losing weight.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you looking at this as a lifestyle change or just a diet? because honestly if you plan on eating pizza and sweets when you are your goal weight then you should just think about how to fit them into your calorie goals NOW.

there are plenty of people who have lost weight and kept it off on this site all while eating pizza, ice cream, gummi bears, etc. just fit it into your calorie goals and stop putting moral judgments on food
  • Fitdoge
    Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    are you looking at this as a lifestyle change or just a diet? because honestly if you plan on eating pizza and sweets when you are your goal weight then you should just think about how to fit them into your calorie goals NOW.

there are plenty of people who have lost weight and kept it off on this site all while eating pizza, ice cream, gummi bears, etc. just fit it into your calorie goals and stop putting moral judgments on food

Of course! I always always make sure it fits. I used to way overeat and my lifestyle change lies in eating less and controlling myself. But the things I eat aren't bad (we homecook our meals, no meal is without a large serving of vegetables, etc.) but when I eat treats (junk food like candies, pizza, etc.) no matter how rarely they come I just punish myself over it. I feel like a huge jerk when I treat myself. Do you ever feel guilty for eating a treat (even if it's no-fat frozen yoghurt, or something relatively healthier?)
  • alicia0412
    alicia0412 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nope! I make sure to make room for yummy things--I eat pizza, froyo, macaroni and cheese, you name it. I try to eat about 1400 calories a day (my MFP goal is 1500) so that at the end of the week I can afford to eat whatever it is I'm craving. I know I'll continue to eat these things once I hit my goal weight, so I've just eaten whatever I want in moderation.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dog, I don't treat myself. I eat food, log it and move on.

I feel like an *kitten* when I waste calories on substandard food, though.
  • mgirl96
    mgirl96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I only do if and when I actually overeat. If I fit it in or go over my goal by a small amount I don't feel bad, but if I have that extra slice because it just tastes so good, then I am sorry.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Nope. Food is awesome.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options

Of course! I always always make sure it fits. I used to way overeat and my lifestyle change lies in eating less and controlling myself. But the things I eat aren't bad (we homecook our meals, no meal is without a large serving of vegetables, etc.) but when I eat treats (junk food like candies, pizza, etc.) no matter how rarely they come I just punish myself over it. I feel like a huge jerk when I treat myself. Do you ever feel guilty for eating a treat (even if it's no-fat frozen yoghurt, or something relatively healthier?)

No I dont feel guilty - and it isn't always anything even remotely as healthy as a no fat frozen yoghurt in my case.
    Nor does it always fit in.

I'm not afraid of going over my allowance sometimes as long as it averages out and I am Not afraid of enjoying things that have no nutritional value at all - in sensible portion sizes.

I think you need to address some issues around food OP.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you afraid that it's going to be slippery slope back into a vat of pizza? i can understand that, but i think in general he people who that usually happens to are people who are too restrictive in their diets and completely cut out ALL of the things they used to like.

just fit it into your calories.

and no i never feel guilty, even on days when i go like 2000 calories over my goal (like last weekend :laugh: ) . why 1) it's just one day and it's not a habit 2) life is about living, not feeling guilty 3)it's just calories, not like i ran over a baby carriage and kept going.

what i do tend to hate is if i go over my calories AND it's with something i didnt even like. that doesnt happen often but in the past it's happened when i go eat and somewhere i'm not in control of the menu
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i do not. i am human. i have a calorie goal and some days it is filled with a balanced diet... and some days like today... junk.

i work very hard to acheive my goals and i am doing great and proud of myself no matter how i fill my calorie goal. even when i go over really because its all about the big picture.

i am much more likely to stick with a plan that includes everything than one that restricts anything.

also i had a 600 calorie sandwich tonight that was so delicious i would have hated to have missed out on it.

i do regret when i eat something that tastes bad just because it is there. i ordered a cheeseburger once that was horrible, and i ate it anyway because i thought since i paid for it... that was 400 calories i wished i had for something edible.

i guess my regrets come when i waste calories on stuff that isnt good.

also i have dessert at least once a day, often two. and am still losing weight consistently.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    At the beginning of my weight loss journey, yes, I felt guilt. Now that I have a greater understanding of this process and can see I'm doing it right, no guilt. If I burned 1,200 cals on a long run, I would feel guilty for NOT treating myself :happy:
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Umm.. no? I pretty much feel the exact opposite. "Look! I had that candy bar and still met all my goals! Now I don't want candy anymore :-)." I also try to remember how the food made me feel. For instance, I had one of my favorite meals from Pei Wei due to not looking at the nutritional value right. I loved the taste, but then OMG I could taste the salt! All I wanted was a 32oz of water. Up until that point, I was considering having the leftovers. No more! Threw them out, figured out how to stay on track, then congratulated myself on learning something and getting rid of another craving without going off track.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    as long as i can fit it into my goals for the day, i'll eat it and not feel guilty. if i deprived myself of higher-calorie, yummy, comforting (to me) foods like candy, bread, pizza, burritos, curry, etc, i would go nuts, seriously. now, that doesn't mean that i have to work it off sometimes -- i'm set at 1400/day, and an 800 cal burrito is over half of my daily calories in one meal. so, i work out to burn around 300 calories, and then i end up being able to have 900 calories the other part of the day to spend on my other two meals, and snacks in between.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    By this stage of the game, I've come to consider the fact that anything that I know is not good for me or that detracts from my ultimate goal, is NO treat.

Sometimes when I buy new, smaller sized clothes, I mentally designate them as a "treat".

I try to dissociate anything I eat from the categories of treat/punishment, because I think of myself as being self punishing rather than self rewarding if I eat something that has a bad effect on my bod.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Nope. Food is awesome.
    This.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you're staying in goal, why on earth would you feel bad about it? :huh: Calories in, calories out. And yes, life - make changes you can stick with for life, and sounds like you're doing so, including things you love like candy treats and pizza, but you're still feeling bad about it.

Heck, I include those things and often go over my goal - I still don't feel bad about it, and it doesn't derail or undo any of my progress. I've hit goal weight and maintained it, even continuing to lower body fat percentage a bit more, for over two years now, still eating pizza, burgers, donuts, candy, ice cream, etc. No guilt. :drinker:
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    No. If I want something I will eat it as long as I can fit it into my daily calorie goal. This isn't diet to me this is a lifestyle change.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with taking the time to...

tumblr_n0ycp6uNJr1qzvnuuo1_500.gif
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dog, I don't treat myself. I eat food, log it and move on.

I feel like an *kitten* when I waste calories on substandard food, though.

Why do only dogs get treats? I think I'm more of a priority than my dog.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...food doesn't make me feel guilty. I also understand that pretty much anything can be incorporated into a well balanced and healthy diet. Stop labeling food as "good" or "bad" and start looking at your overall diet as a whole, not individual little elements. For example, I pretty regularly eat around 8 servings of fruit and veg daily, 6 of which are usually veg...I eat plenty of lean proteins and get plenty of good, heart healthy fats from things like avocados, almonds and other nuts, olive oil, etc. The fact that I'm going to have a small bowl of ice cream within my allotted goals doesn't undo all of that other nutrition and somehow make my unhealthy or whatever.

You need to take a bigger picture approach.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Not in the slightest, because I have learned to eat the foods I love as part of a balanced, calorie controlled diet.

Eating 'treats' has no impact on my weight whatsoever.