Stronger, Better, Faster Challenge August 27

oops. . .confession time.

Yesterday was a massive fail for me. We went over to a friend's house for a long leisurely lunch that was exactly that. Too much white wine, bread, cheese and smoked fish in the afternoon=gym not going to happen.

So, today, I'm re-dedicating to really clean eating. I've adjusted my nutrient balance (protein, carbs, etc) per the advice of a nutritionist's column in a magazine. He said that "endomorphs" need more protein and less carbs, so I'm trying that. I'm really kind of stuck and pissed and frustrated and keep backsliding due to frustration and self pity. I've gained and lost the same five-ish pounds over the past six months. Not good.

So, today it's: no empty calories or refined anything, water and vits and bikram.

Happy workouts!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    oops. . .confession time.

Yesterday was a massive fail for me. We went over to a friend's house for a long leisurely lunch that was exactly that. Too much white wine, bread, cheese and smoked fish in the afternoon=gym not going to happen.

So, today, I'm re-dedicating to really clean eating. I've adjusted my nutrient balance (protein, carbs, etc) per the advice of a nutritionist's column in a magazine. He said that "endomorphs" need more protein and less carbs, so I'm trying that. I'm really kind of stuck and pissed and frustrated and keep backsliding due to frustration and self pity. I've gained and lost the same five-ish pounds over the past six months. Not good.

So, today it's: no empty calories or refined anything, water and vits and bikram.

Happy workouts!:flowerforyou:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    I too, must confess...:ohwell:

I had pizza for dinner last night, though I stayed in my calories, and then had a slice for breakfast this morning. Too much crap like that over the last week has me really frustrated with myself. I think it's due to the fact that there isn't one clean dish in our house and after work and exercise, the last thing I feel like doing is washing a bunch of dishes and then cooking. I NEED to though. Eating this crap is really detrimental to my attitude. I'm making a commitment. Dear dishes, prepare yourselves. I'm owning you after work!!!!! :laugh:

Anyway, my butt and thighs are STILL sore (hurray!) and so are my biceps a little today. Today is yoga and I'm also committing to make it past at least 30min of the total 90.

I hope all of you are meeting your goals and really challenging yourself!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Yesterday I burned 750 cals doing 30day shred for 200 and then right after I hit my bike and burned 550 straight! Then when I got home from work around 11:30 my brother and I went for a jog and I burned another 110 cals. 860 in one day! That was my most yet. But this morn my weight went up :grumble: I had a few little chocolates last night, but I had extra cals plus I went for my jog! So whatever you stupid scale!! :explode: haha

Today I dunno what im gonna do for exercise, I really need to wash my bottle because I havent been drinking all my water and that is really making a difference! I think I will try to burn at least 250cals today.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I've pretty much decided to go to the doctor. I just can't see how I can get more and more strict on calorie counts and do more and more exercise (they are related :wink: ), and stay the same weight - for 3 months. It will take a while to get in to see him, so hopefully, something will happen. According to husband, he can prescribe a dietitian and maybe insurance will pay for some.

On a side note, I told the husband, that I refer to him as just "husband" on mfp. He now emails me and uses the client name "husband" - I almost deleted the email thinking it was spam.

Yesterday was walking. Today is weights, yoga, and walking. Tomorrow, I'm weighing at the gym - just on the off chance my home scale is screwy - fingers crossed.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    Hi ladies!
    I didn't do so well yesterday either...with the exercise part. I was sore from working out so hard the day before. I did use the weed eater on the front yard though and that was enough for my sore arms.
    Mary, I will be interested in what your doctor has to say. I also have been stuck the last two months. I have been watching my calories and exercising more than I had been for two months prior and yet the scale keeps going up and my clothes are getting tighter. It's very frustrating. I figure I will try to make it through Sept. trying to work out five times a week and see what happens. I've been eating between 1200-1300 calories a day plus exercise cals and nothing! I had my calories at 1400 and nothing was happening then either so that's why I lowered them.
    The only way I have had good weight loss in the past was when I was on the South Beach Diet. But I can't hardly stand the sight of eggs anymore! Ugh! I'd do it again if it wasn't for lack of breakfast food!
    Okay I'm done.
    Today: drink my water (getting off to a slow start)
    30 Day shred (maybe level two) and taebo for thirty minutes
    Clean up (half way there)
    Do something productive with my son
    I hope everyone does better or just as well (if you did good yesterday) today! I'm really proud of our little team here..sticking it out and encouraging one another. This challenge is pretty much the only reason I look at the boards any more. I hope that doesn't sound bad.
    Melissa
  • yoginimary
    Me too MM, though I'm always browsing the other boards. It just what I do while I'm drinking my coffee in the morning (I also browse the fitness news on other sites).

A friend of mine did the elimination diet (turns out she's not good with coffee, sucks!), but she said when she wasn't eating wheat, she wasn't hungry. She's petite and never really had food issues. I would be interested to know what you guys think - is there anything to stimulate hunger with wheat? Or was it that she was on the elimination diet and was just getting tired of what she was eating?
  • mechanicmom
    I think wheat and sugar makes me hungrier. I know whole wheat makes me very tired and weepy. I tend to get grouchy after eating ice cream. I'm not sure what it is about it. If I have it at night, I am grouchy in the morning. I have learned and am learning a lot about foods since my son is on a special diet. Makes life interesting!
  • lotusfromthemud
    I'm seriously behind the whole wheat sensitivity thing. I find that when I don't have it, I feel better in nearly every way. When I do eat it (and recently, that's been the case) I'm more likely to be very hungry and have bad (calorie dense, nutrient void) food cravings. My naturopath says that this is because the inability to digest the wheat interferes with nutrient absorption from everything you eat. I find that rice is OK, corn is (in moderate amounts) OK but wheat just makes me crazy. I also think I get depression symptoms from it (but maybe that is being hard on myself because I lost control. . .)

I'm really starting to believe in the "set point" theory. That your body has a weight that it fights like crazy to maintain. Apparently, mine is 140ish. I budge beneath it for a bit, then go right back up. Despite the occassional backslide here and there (all documented. . .I always record my food with the exception of maybe five days in the past year. . .) I don't go over my calorie allowance. But, I just can't seem to get my weight any lower. And, for the past two months, in spite of increasing my exercise and restricting calories, my inches haven't gotten smaller either. I did have the whole cup size shrinkage bra shopping trip, but other than that. . .nothing.

The other theory I'm toying with is that it's the type of foods I'm eating. I've been pretty "grainy" for the past few months, so I'm trying to restrict those a bit, concentrating on fruit and veg for my carbs. I really do feel like I've tried everything. I try my best to stay positive, but. . .*sigh*

I hope you get fast appointments and good ideas Mary! (and don't be shy to share them!):flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    "weepy" MM. . ..that's it exactly. . .I couldn't find the words. Last Sunday I cried like a baby because. . .the olympics were over. WTH?:noway:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Even though I really dont want to maybe I will hope onto my stationary bike and ride BUT I STILL WANT TO BINGE SO BAD!
  • mechanicmom
    Hang in there Carrie! Stay with it. You will get past the binging if you just hang in there!

V-I totally understand what you are saying! I have been eating a lot more grains than I should and not enough fruits and veggies. I am trying though. My weight seems to be about 150. I got down to 141 but it crept on really easily. I have been in the 150's for years! I can't seem to get any lower and keep it off. It seems like a cruel joke. Some times I think I should just accept it and move on with my life. I struggle and struggle but nothing seems to be working except lots and lots of working out. If I didn't have a child I wouldn't have a problem working out two hours a day, but I feel like I am neglecting him if I do it more than an hour. He's autistic and it's not like I can just tell him to go play with his toys and that he will do that for a long period of time. It's been a battle, but we're here for each other so we can do it. I am really glad I have you guys.
  • yoginimary
    Ok, I'm going to finish the foods I already bought and then try eliminating wheat. I just bought some shredded wheat and some waffles, so I don't want to throw those away.

This should be fairly easy as there are a few restaurants in town that provide gluten free, vegetarian meals. I've been eating at the macrobiotic place a couple times a week now.

I just did the math on my ratios. Here they are: fat=17% of total calories, protein = 23%, carbs = 60%. What are yours?

I took an average of the past 30 days (rough, just looked at the reports chart) - oh, and I normally get about 50 grams of fiber a day.
  • lotusfromthemud
    I was at 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25%fat. The article actually recommended 25% carbs, 35% protein and 40% fat. That fat seemed crazy high, and the carbs seemed too low. So, I split the difference and I'm going to try 30% carbs, 35% protein and 35% fat. I get almost all my fats from nuts and avocados, and full-fat yogurt. The trick is eating more protein, but unless I'm eating meat, it's hard to keep the protein/carb ratio where it should be. I eat meat pretty sparingly right now, so that will be tricky.

I'm just sort of "wits-endy" right now. I'm at the point of having a life I'm interested in living and wondering if ten pounds is worth it. Then I think about it, and how my body looks is important to me. (ah, vanity) I'm just trying to find a balance between physical and mental health here. . . .do I have to pick between losing the last ten pounds and losing my mind?:tongue:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Even though I really dont want to maybe I will hope onto my stationary bike and ride BUT I STILL WANT TO BINGE SO BAD!

As someone who is recovering from yesterday's binge. . . DON'T!

I feel terrible in all the ways today.:sick:
  • mechanicmom
    Aw Viv, I'm sorry you are struggling so much right now. I think you are doing awesome and have been a real encouragment to me just by reading your posts everyday and how hard you work. It will pay off. It must. I have seen so many people changed and people keep doing it so it must work. If it didn't we wouldn't be doing it.
    Well, I am going to brag about how hard I worked today. I hope that's okay. I don't have many really hard work out days any more so it feels good! I did 71 full push ups and all I can say is OW! I did 30 Day Shred level one, then I got brave and put in the BL Cardio Max and did level one. I started level two but my legs felt like they were going to go out if I had to do one more jumping jack! I'm glad Jillian was not standing in my living room. :laugh:
    Now I get to exercise my patience by trying to find this stupid blood sucking mosquito that has bitten me at least six times this morning! I can't find her! UGH!!!! She has bitten my son all over his legs too. It will die!!!!
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Wow I wish I had some magic words to cheer everyone up. I feel bad cause I am having a pretty good day here.

I did my boring Turbo Jam again. Actually thinking about switching to tae bo but not sure yet. I also did some gardening and mowed the yard and swam for a bit with the kiddies. Going out to the local pub with hubby tonight so I hope I can tell you all tomorrow that I behaved with my eating.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon-you all deserve it:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    All hail Julie of the weight-loss! She will be our cheerful leader!

V- just a quick question - who wrote the article and what magazine was it in?
  • lotusfromthemud
    All hail Julie of the weight-loss! She will be our cheerful leader!

V- just a quick question - who wrote the article and what magazine was it in?

all hail our glorious cheerful leader, indeed!:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

The column was a "ask the doc" in Clean Eating. Apparently, the author is a PhD in nutrition and a "world leader in nutrition planning and education for athletes and exercisers of all levels" They're sort of billing him like he's an MD, which I have a little problem with, but it was just a question that I could have written. He defines an "endomorph" as someone who has a "larger bone structure and carries more body fat" And says that they "tend to be insulin-dominant" and "need more exercise". He suggests 5-7 hours of exercise mix of cardio, strength and intervals and then the nutrition rec. He also usefully points out that "the percentages are guidelines. . .the main point is that for (this) body type, keep your carbohydrates lower while boosting your protein and healthy-fat intake."

In the name of science, I'm giving it a go. It's the first new information/something I'm not already doing I've seen in a while.

Clean Eating is rapidly becoming my favorite magazine. It's full recipes that I can eat, with no fakeness. (for example. . .agave nectar and honey and no artificial sweeteners in sight).
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Arrggh, I am always late to log on and miss the interesting discussions! And now I have to run to class! :frown:

I have heard the terms endomorph/ectomorph/mesomorph before, but they all seemed kinda pseudo-sciencey to me. But then I really don't know anything about it. All I know is I'm not ectomorph - never been skinny! I'll be interested to hear how your new breakdown works out, V.

Have you heard anything about the slow/fast oxidizer theory? Jillian Michaels talks about it on her website. I definitely think that there are differences between people and what sort of nutrition they need... I just don't know if anyone has good answers to figuring it out. I don't seem to need much protein - I feel really leaden when I have a lot. Carbs are good for me. Maybe I'll see if I can find that magazine - sounds interesting.

:flowerforyou: