Anyone not count calories anymore in maintannce anymore

Options

Replies

• runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Its easy to say that we should be able to listen to our bodies, but most people who need to lose weight have had a problem with that area.

I think its similar to telling an alcoholic that they should be able to drink a little and know when to stop. ...They tried that and it didn't work.
  • runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for going on 17 months without logging. I live a pretty healthful life to include eating very healthfully and in appropriate quantities and I exercise regularly. While I do not log, I am very mindful of what I'm putting into my body and my nutrition.

I would also add that this certainly would/could be more difficult for someone with food issues...I don't have and never have had any particular issues with food. I gained my weight in my 30s when I became more sedentary climbing the corporate ladder and taking a desk job...now I know better and make sure I get plenty of regular exercise and am just in general far more active.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Its easy to say that we should be able to listen to our bodies, but most people who need to lose weight have had a problem with that area.

I think its similar to telling an alcoholic that they should be able to drink a little and know when to stop. ...They tried that and it didn't work.

^^Correct. I tried it over and over for ten years and it didn't work.

There are some of us who might be able to get a better "feel" for how we're eating, but we will always need some kind of accountability to know when to truly stop for the day. I am one of them. Today is my 955th day of tracking. At the end of January 2015 I will have been doing it every day for three straight years.

I do not say that to boast! Indeed, it is somewhat humbling to have to do this (though I am not ashamed, mind you). I have learned so many wonderful things on this journey, so many things have changed permanently for me in terms of how I think and behave. That being said, one thing I've learned is that when I start to "let go" of tracking what I eat, something happens in my brain that starts to want to take a little more and a little more and a little more. EVEN THOUGH I've been healthy for three years. It is a phenomenon I can't explain. I can't "work harder" to make that stop. I can't pray it away. I can't talk therapy it away. It's just something I've come to accept and actually be grateful for.

I agree for the most part with this guy that if you're just counting calories and not really dealing with your eating disorder, then that's a big-time problem. It becomes just a transferred mode of control, which is what it's all about. Don't fool yourself into thinking tracking = "now I'm all fixed".

But for a gal like me who has, for the most part, learned to overcome and manage her compulsive overeating through reading, journaling, therapy, 12 step programs, and counseling others, I still know that tracking is the best way for me to stay, erm, "on track" with my eating plan, which I'll be following for the rest of my life. And I'm totally fine with this. It's become like brushing my teeth or making my bed. I make it work for me. And best of all I have peace at night knowing I'm staying within my boundaries. It's a beautiful thing! :flowerforyou:
  • Brandolin11
    Options

It's actually harder than being an alcoholic. An alcoholic can just stop drinking. I'm not saying that lightly. I know it's tough, but it can be done. Someone with issues with food cannot stop eating. So, it's actually quite a bit more complicated than being alcoholic.

I've heard doctors and therapists confirm this as well.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 lbs from goal and decided to take a break indefinitely. While I could stand to lose that extra 10 lbs at some point, I was really burnt out from weighing every little thing and thinking so much about it. I've been maintaining within a 3 lb range for about 3-4 months without counting my calories on MFP.

I do occasionally log on to MFP for a bit to make sure I'm getting enough fiber/protein, and not eating too much sugar. Other than that, I just eat.

I have a heightened awareness of the amount of calories in things and usually keep a loose number in my head as the day goes by. But I also have days where I don't count a single calorie and I'm still able to stay within an acceptable range. I weigh myself every 2 weeks or so to make sure I'm not overeating. It seems to work for me and makes me feel a lot more comfortable and at ease, it's one less thing to worry about.

I think I'll have to be conscious of calories to have a general idea of how much I'm eating, but I don't want to go back to weighing all my food every day.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

It's actually harder than being an alcoholic. An alcoholic can just stop drinking. I'm not saying that lightly. I know it's tough, but it can be done. Someone with issues with food cannot stop eating. So, it's actually quite a bit more complicated than being alcoholic.

I've done both. Learned how to moderately drink after 21 years of sobriety, and licked my eating disorders.

It's a matter of extreme willpower and massive amounts of knowledge. Though AA and OA would like to disagree with it's 'powerlessness' mantra.

I frankly got fed up with being 'programmed' by the programs. I also have the genetics and the screwy reward system to become obese, anorexic and drink and drug myself to death, but I have taught myself self control. So good for the confidence. I wish my parents could have done the same, but maybe I've learned from them too.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It's been almost a year for me now and I still count every day. Honestly, I am a bit of a numbers/data geek, it doesn't take much time and there's no way I'm going to intuitively hit my macros without it. After a few years of logging, I still couldn't tell you how much protein is in 100 grams of chicken.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached my goal yet but I am already burned out from calorie counting. I am going to continue to count my calories after I reach my goal for maybe a year or so to get the hang of eating at maintenance then stop counting calories. I only have 30 lbs to lose and the reason why I gained weight in the first place was I stopped exercising and continue consuming the same calories .I didn't know anything about potion sizes . I was eating junk food late at night and eating out of boredom but I was able to maintain a slim figure as long as I kept up with my exercise.

would I still maintain if I watch my potion sizes,eat when I hungry and keep up with my exercise ?anyone stopped counting calories and been able to maintain without gaining weight back doing the above?Also keeping an eye on the scale?

I could be you and that's what I did: I kept track of calories for about a year (slightly less) until I felt I could eyeball portions and such enough to maintain, then I stopped tracking.
    I am careful and aware of how much junk food I eat and I don't eat it out of boredom (I'll go for fruit instead then).
    My weight has been stable and steady. I did loosely track calories over the summer (eyeballed the amounts....didn't weigh or measure them) because I can go overboard with ice cream and thought I should spend this first summer of not tracking by tracking in a loose way, just in case I started to go overboard. But, happily, I found that I don't overeat the ice cream like I used to! (that's a big milestone).
    So, now I'm going back to not tracking and just eyeballing my portions and being aware of junk food & its consumption.
    I weigh myself about once a month and have a range of weight in mind. If I ever go over the top of my range, I will track my food (measuring and weighing) again until I relearn portion sizes.
    I think maintenance is a bit of trial & error, a smidge of awareness and titch of occasional adjustment.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've stopped counting calories and logging. I logged for about 5 months, then stopped. By that time I learned how many calories were in the the foods I ate all the time, and I could visualize portions pretty accurately by that time too. I can always look up a food if I don't know the calorie count or weigh something to make sure the portion is right but not every meal, every day. I was depending on MFP a little too much in that if there were calories left over, I'd eat them even if I wasn't hungry. On the other side, if I ran out of calories I went hungry and felt miserable, when I should have had a small snack.

Since this is something I do not want to do for the rest of my life, I learned the basics and now I can apply what I've learned (calorie counts/macros/portions) to continue to lose weight. I have a fitbit so I know what my expenditure is, now I can roughly count in my head the calories I need to eat every day and eventually will learn to eat proper portions without thinking about it, and eat only when I'm hungry.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Something I do is practice portion estimation. For example, I'll take foods that are going to be put on my plate and FIRST guess at how many ounces they really are. Like pieces of chicken. Is that 7 oz of chicken on that plate? 10 oz? I guess, and THEN I weigh the food. Over time, my ability to guess a portion size becomes more accurate. And after you record enough calories, you know what certain foods provide for calories.

Ooh.. I'm going to have to try that! Brilliant!
  • sartezalb
    sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why do people think that counting is a crutch or not natural? It is so damn easy now. And if it helps you maintain, I don't see anything wrong with it.

No one had computers 100 years ago. Does that mean they are a crutch? I mean, it's so silly to point back to cowboys and Indians or cave people and show some lineage between their health and ours. It's ridiculous, to be honest.

Thank you for typing this so that I didn't have to. :laugh:

I'm not at maintenance yet (keeping up a steady 2 lbs/week), but I'll probably keep logging for two reasons:
    1) Keep track of my macros (particularly the protein).
    2) I just really love eating, so it's mentally easier for me to know that all the stuff I'm indulging in will work out in the end.

A compromise solution may be to "guesstimate" how many calories you're having as opposed to logging every individual item--of course, you'll want to double-check a few times to make sure you're honest. But throughout my journey, I've gotten an intuitive sense of how many calories a chunk of meat or bread might be just from strict-logging so much, and it helps if I'm feeling lazy that day.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Is Quicken a crutch to your spending habits?
    Is a daily calendar a crutch to your time management?
    Is an address book a crutch to your memory?

Sorry, not true that MFP is a crutch. It is a tool.

After almost two years of tracking, I still learn new things about macronutrients through tracking.

And if you are serious about weightlifting or fitness, it is practically a requirement.

Silly notion to assume that you are an "expert" just because you can skip tracking and not gain weight.
  • Brandolin11
    Options

I've done both. Learned how to moderately drink after 21 years of sobriety, and licked my eating disorders.

It's a matter of extreme willpower and massive amounts of knowledge. Though AA and OA would like to disagree with it's 'powerlessness' mantra.

I frankly got fed up with being 'programmed' by the programs. I also have the genetics and the screwy reward system to become obese, anorexic and drink and drug myself to death, but I have taught myself self control. So good for the confidence. I wish my parents could have done the same, but maybe I've learned from them too.

Congratulations (sincerely), however you are most definitely an anomaly. You're also not dead yet. :wink: If you manage to keep that up all the way to your grave then I'll be the first to celebrate with you! I'm not doubting your experience nor saying you won't remain on your path. I'm just saying...many have said what you said, and were not so successful long-term...

It should also be noted that a person can be self controlled and confident, have will power and massive knowledge, and yet also be able to admit that they simply have a problem with particular foods, drinks, and drugs, and won't continue to entertain them after years and years of failing with them. This doesn't make you "programmed", just realistic, humble, and willing to do whatever it takes to protect yourself.

I just want to make sure people hear that, lest they believe they are weak or failures for successfully sticking to a 12-step program. Thanks.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Is Quicken a crutch to your spending habits?
    Is a daily calendar a crutch to your time management?
    Is an address book a crutch to your memory?

Sorry, not true that MFP is a crutch. It is a tool.

After almost two years of tracking, I still learn new things about macronutrients through tracking.

And if you are serious about weightlifting or fitness, it is practically a requirement.

Silly notion to assume that you are an "expert" just because you can skip tracking and not gain weight.

Thank you!

dgyes.gif
  • Brandolin11
    Options

Something I do is practice portion estimation. For example, I'll take foods that are going to be put on my plate and FIRST guess at how many ounces they really are. Like pieces of chicken. Is that 7 oz of chicken on that plate? 10 oz? I guess, and THEN I weigh the food. Over time, my ability to guess a portion size becomes more accurate. And after you record enough calories, you know what certain foods provide for calories.

Ooh.. I'm going to have to try that! Brilliant!

+1
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Congratulations (sincerely), however you are most definitely an anomaly. You're also not dead yet. :wink: If you manage to keep that up all the way to your grave then I'll be the first to celebrate with you! I'm not doubting your experience nor saying you won't remain on your path. I'm just saying...many have said what you said, and were not so successful long-term...

It should also be noted that a person can be self controlled and confident, have will power and massive knowledge, and yet also be able to admit that they simply have a problem with particular foods, drinks, and drugs, and won't continue to entertain them after years and years of failing with them. This doesn't make you "programmed", just realistic, humble, and willing to do whatever it takes to protect yourself.

I just want to make sure people hear that, lest they believe they are weak or failures for successfully sticking to a 12-step program. Thanks.

Thank you. For reminding me how I used to think like you, and this is exactly what I'm talking about, living under this fear that I will die if I touch the evil stuff. I was conditioned to think that by a couple of sociopathic narcissists that came out of a fervently religious prohibitive 1940s era. My two years in AA tore my confidence and personality to pieces. I was misdiagnosed and had to carry the burden for 21 years. Only going in to therapy helped me see that even though I had inherited my parents makeup, I wasn't them and I refused to be in perjury for them any more.

So I started researching. You do know that out of the 40 odd recognised rehab programms AA has the highest mortality rate?

I totally believe in abstinence for the true physically dependent and dis functioning alcoholic. Abstinence is easy. But it comes from within, not from some imaginary gust of wind higher power. That's incredibly archaic. Taking people's power away and making them dependant on an institution is ridiculous.

Oh yes, and 'I'm not dead yet?' I think you need to ask yourself why you felt the need to say that. You know nothing about my past or present drinking apart from the small pieces of information, how come you feel like you can diagnose a persons future? Your reaction is histrionic, and insulting.

One more thing, we ALL have a problem with the good stuff, it's a rare person that just doesn't enjoy food drink and drugs, they've just developed good habits and perhaps had good luck, but if I can train myself after my upbringing which was extreme, others can too. (Unless they've become actually physically dependant on a substance, then I don't think there's any going back, or they have a pathology that prevents functional thinking).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    I've stopped counting calories and logging. .......

Since this is something I do not want to do for the rest of my life, I learned the basics and now I can apply what I've learned (calorie counts/macros/portions) to continue to lose weight. I have a fitbit so I know what my expenditure is, now I can roughly count in my head the calories I need to eat every day and eventually will learn to eat proper portions without thinking about it, and eat only when I'm hungry.

To me this is basically still logging and counting but doing it in your head and with the 'crutch' of a fitbit.
    Will you wear a fit bit for the rest of your life?

I still log in maitneance but I dont and never have worn a fitbit or any sort of pedometer.

I like having things written down (electronically) so I prefer to log and count with MFP than do it in my head.

I think the money anology works well here too - everyone should live within their means and not overspend - but some people like to write it all down and use a calculator, others do it in their head.

as long as the end result is the same, the method doesnt matter and will vary between individuals.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    I just don't believe that relying on the calorie counter for the rest of your life is a realistic or healthy thing to do.

Why not?

Should have been obvious from my post...

If you lean on the crutch, you never learn how to walk by yourself.

It's a tool; a crutch. It stunts your ability to learn how eat naturally; to listen to your body naturally; to learn the habits you need to develop to have a healthy relationship with food.

As I stated, humans have eaten without a calorie counter for thousands of years. We have many people, present day, who can eat healthy and not log calories to do it. These people know how to listen to their bodies, how to recognize a portion size, how to not overeat, and how to fuel themselves for their activity level. They have a healthy, natural, unaided relationship with food.

The counter is a crutch. One should seek to learn the natural skills and habits that allow one to eliminate the crutch.

Think about it for a moment: wouldn't you prefer to never have to log another calorie ever again? To be able to go through your life eating naturally? To have a healthy relationship with food? To eat, feel satisfied, and not have the specter of guilt hanging over you ever again?

That can happen, but people choose to lean on the counter instead of developing their relationship with food.

Do you not think that we've kind of permanently lost the abilities to register satiety and hunger like those others? I'm only getting away with it at the moment because I'm going from memory and habit. I still feel like I could eat at any time day and night! There's always a little hunger there. Same the other way. If I go past a meal time, my hunger hormones turn into a nervous high, and I could keep going without. I've been at maintenance for a few months now. It IS easier. I will see after another year if I can get better at reading my body.

Ive often wondered about this idea that our ancestors ate intuitively and listened to their hunger cues and knew when they had eaten enough.

maybe they did - but maybe the bigger 'controller' of weight was not intuitive eating but lack of available food.

I think most of the world's population in most times and places have not been non-obese because of intuitive eating but because there just wasnt cheap ready food available to over eat.

Perhaps a tad off topic, but something I ponder.