Homemade Buffalo Wings

Options
Hello - I'm making buffalo wings and drummies tonight for dinner. I'm frying them (without flour) in veggie oil, then putting Frank's Buffalo Sauce on them, followed by baking them in the oven.

My question is, how many calories do you think that is or how do I log this into my food journal????

Replies

• Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    From HungryGirl.com:

Bad to the Boneless
    Boneless wings may taste good, but they're BAAAAAAD news if you're trying to watch what you eat. They're also kind of addictive, so even if you tell yourself you're just going to have one, you'll likely wind up with a sauce-smeared face and an empty plate (not fun). Well wing-lovers, maybe this shocking stat will help you resist those tempting no-bones bites -- each one contains an average of more than 100 calories and 5 fat grams!!! That's a POINTS® value of 2* per itty-bitty boneless wing. And that's WITHOUT the fatty dressing often served with your wings. CRAZINESS! We’ve got a secret recipe for the things though, and lucky for you, we're letting the cat out of the bag. HG's H-O-T Hot Boneless Buffalo Wings are here to conquer your cravings for this typically over-caloried appetizer. So start crushing those chips and grinding up the Fiber One, people!

Serving Size: 5 wings (a typical serving)
    Calories: 510
    Fat: 28g
    Sodium: 2,135mg
    Carbs: 35g
    Fiber: 2g
    Sugars: 1g
    Protein: 28g

POINTS® value 12*

Here's her low cal recipe:

Ingredients:
    8 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into 10 nugget-shaped pieces
    1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original), ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency in a blender or food processor
    1 oz. (about 14 crisps) Pringles Light Fat Free Potato Crisps, Barbecue (or another fat-free BBQ-flavored potato chip)
    3 tbsp. Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
    dash onion powder
    dash garlic powder
    dash cayenne pepper
    dash black pepper
    dash salt

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Crush potato crisps completely and, in a small dish, mix with cereal crumbs. Add a dash of each of the seasonings and mix well. Place chicken pieces in a separate dish, and cover and toss with Frank's RedHot. Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray. Give each chicken piece a shake (so it's not dripping with RedHot), and then coat it evenly with the crumb mixture. Lay the battered nuggets on the baking pan. Place in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Then flip the wings over, and return them to the oven for 10 more minutes, or until outsides are crispy and chicken is cooked throughout. MAKES 2 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 5 wings (half of recipe)
    Calories: 175
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sodium: 1,153mg**
    Carbs: 14g
    Fiber: 4g
    Sugars: <1g
    Protein: 27g

POINTS® value 3*
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I dont have the answer to your question as the word FRY is not in my dictionary - LOL

Have you considered just taking cut up chicken breasts, and pouring some Franks on top of it, cover and bake? That is how I make my "boneless chicken wings." I could drink that franks stright up after its cooked in that chicken!!! My mouth waters as I write this. If you can spare some fat and calories, you can add a tad of butter to it.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Claudia, awesome suggestion --- LOVE THAT HUNGRY GIRL!!!
  • LauraC5
    Options
    I'm new here, so I cannot answer as to how to log it. However, I'ved made Buffalo Wings by cooking them in the oven until crisp. I would rather skip the fryer and add butter to the hot sauce so that it tastes just like the wings served at restaurants. I've also pulled the skin off the chicken before cooking them in the oven, but then it didn't taste much like the restaurant ones.
    If you prepare them my way, you should be able to record the calories according to the information on the packages.
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just baked them first then take them out toss them in hot sauce then throw them back in there. Well they are done take them out and toss them in sauce again
  • racheyanne1
    Options
    I dont have the answer to your question as the word FRY is not in my dictionary - LOL

Have you considered just taking cut up chicken breasts, and pouring some Franks on top of it, cover and bake? That is how I make my "boneless chicken wings." I could drink that franks stright up after its cooked in that chicken!!! My mouth waters as I write this. If you can spare some fat and calories, you can add a tad of butter to it.

I was going to make them at home though - definitely not going to Buffalo Wild Wings. They're still bad though, ey...crud.
  • racheyanne1
    Options
    Just baked them first then take them out toss them in hot sauce then throw them back in there. Well they are done take them out and toss them in sauce again

Good idea, that takes out the frying! Do you bake in water? For how long? Temperature?
  • racheyanne1
    Options
    I'm new here, so I cannot answer as to how to log it. However, I'ved made Buffalo Wings by cooking them in the oven until crisp. I would rather skip the fryer and add butter to the hot sauce so that it tastes just like the wings served at restaurants. I've also pulled the skin off the chicken before cooking them in the oven, but then it didn't taste much like the restaurant ones.
    If you prepare them my way, you should be able to record the calories according to the information on the packages.

Thanks, good suggestion!!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

Good idea, that takes out the frying! Do you bake in water? For how long? Temperature?

I made some about a week or so ago , and mine were about 50 calories a wing. I did not fry them (the veg oil adds quite a bit of calories) and I used a low calorie/low sugar sauce... I bake dthem for about 20 minutes, flipped baked for another 10 minutes, and then took them out and tossed them in the sauce (I used the sauce with a dash of spices). They were really good and I added low calorie ranch to go with it and sweet potatoes.
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I don't bake them in water. I actually haven't used the little wings. I use chicken legs (drumstick). I like the bigger pieces of chicken smoothered with the Franks Sauce. And I take them out half way during cooking. I cook the drumsticks at 375 for about 40-45 mins. But wings usually ask for 400 degrees for a shorter time.
  • LauraC5
    Options

Thanks, good suggestion!!!

I've been baking mine like this since I cannot stand the smell of the meat in the fryer. When I serve it at parties, no one can tell that they've not been fried.
  • aqtnny
    aqtnny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting a recipe, i love wings and have not been eating them since i know they are bad but its nice to know that there is an alternative.
    Thank you so very much
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    From HungryGirl.com:

Bad to the Boneless

Serving Size: 5 wings (half of recipe)
    Calories: 175
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sodium: 1,153mg**
    Carbs: 14g
    Fiber: 4g
    Sugars: <1g
    Protein: 27g

POINTS® value 3*

Totally freaking awesome....THANK YOU!!!!!