How to begin running when overweight.

Options
I already do a lot of walking, but I want to start doing running to help with my weight loss. Only thing is I have read a lot about over weight people causing themselves damage because they started too hard.
I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to start running when you are over 100kg. Also, I was wondering if anyone has tips about overcoming the fears of exercising outdoors when you are over weight, as I'm finding it really hard to get the confidence to do any outdoor exercise other than walking.

Replies

• jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As far as how to start running...just move your feet faster. Make sure you get fitted for a good pair of running shoes that will decrease risk of injury. Also a lot of running stores around here have form clinics you can go to. Also don't run too fast, make sure you keep your legs under you and breathe, it takes awhile but you'll be surprised how easy it gets. I started the year not being able to run a quarter mile and can now run seven.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Start REALLY slow. I would recommend starting on a treadmill at a walk. Increase speed to maximum walking speed. When you can't build a sweat that way, start increasing the incline. When you can handle steep (around 10 degrees) speed up to a slow jog at a flat incline. At that point start looking at a running program. Most people go with couch to 5k (c25k). You can also look at the Hal Higdon website for great running plans.

The plan above is how I went from a doc telling me I'd never run and needed a double knee replacement to running marathons and an Ironman in 3 years. The key is to take it slow, get rest on a regular basis so you can recover, and always track your progress so you can push your limits.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Try out the couch to 5k programme. It is a beginner programme that starts off slowly with a bit of running and a lot of walking. It progresses as each week goes on. A lot of people stay on one week's workout for a few weeks until they feel confident with it and then move on, others proceed through.

The confidence about running outside is all about deciding whether you really care about what strangers think. Ask yourself if you keep thinking about a person you see in your day to day life that you don't know - 3 seconds, a minute, more, less? So, if someone looks at you and thinks about you that long, is that a big deal?

The worst part of running in public for me are the idiots that yell things out of cars - and they do it to every woman I know, regardless of size. They really aren't doing anything other than showing how small their manhood really is...and every time they yell, I picture their very small manhood and smile.

You can do it! You can!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Spreadsheet on my profile page.

HRM tab, at the bottom, Run / Walk Intervals weight based. Sadly I only included the pounds not metric ability, so just convert.

That chart came from a book years ago from a coach that had great success bringing people in to running without injury.
    But after you enter your goal weight (actually do 5 lbs above goal weight), you get that progression depending on how fast you lose the weight.
    About 3 x weekly at most, and you'll likely be on each section for about 2 - 3 weeks.
    Start out each level with just 30 min each run. Subsequent weeks you may want to expand a session to 45 min perhaps.

Timex has a great Ironman 50 lap watch (worldwide too) that has Interval timer on it, set 2 intervals to what you need and continuous, warmup walk, and then off you go.

When you log this for exercise, confirm you get the total distance and time spent for average pace. Don't log it under the running speed or walking speed, because the database entries for walking/running are accurate for pace described.
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I have run 5ks at 220lbs so it is definitely doable. While the couch to 5ks may give you a good baseline it doesn't take into account those runners who may be overweight and how strenuous it can be on the body. My advice: Make sure you have really supportive footwear because of the risk of injury. Make sure your shoes are broken in but not worn. Or you will get tons of blisters! I'd start slow. I usually walked 2-3 miles a day before I started running. Then during my walk I would jog for about 2-3 minutes until I became winded (it usually didn't take more than two minutes to become winded) then I would continue walking until I felt comfortable to try running again and do another 2-3 minutes. Usually doing about 3 sets of that while still walking the 2-3 miles. Then I would slowly build from there. It depends mostly on your abilities. I have two bad knees so I had to be extra delicate. It took about a month before I was able to run a full mile.

If you have never run before look up the correct runners form and make sure while you run even for just those two minutes that you keep your form. Form is so so so important to helping prevent injury. Most injuries happen when you are tired and weak and just trudging along. It's very easy to get shin splits which can put you back at least a week. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water to prevent cramps and stretch at the end of your runs/walks.

As for working out outside as a heavier woman I started running at night. Though I know that's not always applicable for everyone because not all neighborhoods are the safest. My advice get music on your phone, put earplugs in and just blast music. I've been hollered at. Some positive some negative but I just tune it out. They don't know you and they don't matter.I know that's a hard mentality to have but don't let someone you don't know and will never matter in your life get to you and keep your from accomplishing your goals. And you never really know what people are thinking when they see you. You could be inspiring someone else to get out and better themselves too. I rarely notice anyone when I run. I focus on my breathing and where my foot strikes, keeping correct form and when the next mile starts. Apologize to no one. You have every right to be out there.
  • Lestrange__
    Lestrange__ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. This is really helpful advice.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I started with the c25k program at around the same weight, I would definately recommend it. At the start I thought I wouldn't get very far with it but have got to week 7 and done a couple of 25 minute runs which I never thought I would be able to do. You can do it, just take it slowly :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K at almost 300lbs (135kgs roughly), I'm still around 12kg overweight but have completed 3 Half marathon's this year (2 of which I ran without walking) as weell as numerous 5ks & 10ks and am considering a full marathon next year.

Make sure you get a good pair of running shoes and listen to your body. Some small aches are to be expected but sharp pain is a sign of injury, the first you can ignore unless they get worse the latter you need to rest. Start slow, if you can't speak (even if its a gasping speak) then you're going too fast. When I started C25K I could walk quicker than I 'ran' but the motion is different and the progressive nature of the programme is as much about strengthening muscles and getting your body able to handle the stresses of running as much as increasing your cardio capability.

Don't worry about being able to run 5k in 30mins at the end of the programme, aim to be able to run slowly for 30mins without stopping rather than distance. Speed will increase as you get more distance under your belt. Don't worry about repeating a session, you're doing this for you so its not a competition to finish it as quickly as possible. The first few sessions are quite tough for someone overweight and not used to running but stick with it, it gets easier and you quickly see progress. Most importantly, enjoy running!
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is to get some polarized sunglasses (the kind that reflect) and some headphones and an ipod arm band. then you can shut everyone out while you run outside and ignore them. That's what I do!!!!!
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • allforgain
    Options
    I'm horrible at running, but I love it.
    But apart from all that's just been said, I'd encourage you to find a place that you enjoy to run. For me, it's the city. Find somewhere that makes you smile and you like to explore.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Check out this group and all the sticky topics up on top:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

People are checking in daily for support and advanced runners stop by with advice, too.

As for being self-conscious in the beginning, I've seen more people say that this is how they felt when they first started. It's perfectly normal, but you also need to realise that it's something happening between your ears only (unless someone actually screams rude things at you). Don't let it stop you, other runners will look at you and think "Go girl!"; choosing health is never a bad thing.

Most people out and about don't focus that much on others, just think about yourself and how you behave; do you pay attention to exactly everyone around you at all times? I doubt that. That said I still have days when I'm more self-aware but I run in a fairly quiet area, so you might be able to pick a time and/or place when there aren't as many out there?
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have to say I thought the couch 2 5K programme was fab!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Start REALLY slow. I would recommend starting on a treadmill at a walk. Increase speed to maximum walking speed. When you can't build a sweat that way, start increasing the incline. When you can handle steep (around 10 degrees) speed up to a slow jog at a flat incline. At that point start looking at a running program. Most people go with couch to 5k (c25k). You can also look at the Hal Higdon website for great running plans.

The plan above is how I went from a doc telling me I'd never run and needed a double knee replacement to running marathons and an Ironman in 3 years. The key is to take it slow, get rest on a regular basis so you can recover, and always track your progress so you can push your limits.

+1. excellent advice.
    this exactly how i started 9 weeks ago at 106 kg.
    i walked until i could increase speed to a slow jog, and do that at intervals of 150- 250metres.i now jog approx one third of either 3 or 5 k most days. i can do a fast walk to 7k, with a goal of achieving 10k by end of month.my speed set between 5.7 kph and max 7.3 kph.
    take it real slow to begin and find your comfortable levels.
    g luck.
  • tinytatertot
    tinytatertot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started REALLY slow (honestly, I'm still super slow). I just listen to my body. If it's telling me I'm too uncomfortable then I stop what I'm doing and slowing it down. I also go myself a sweet workout outfit and the Run, Zombie 5k app which really helps me when running in public.
    Tomorrow I'm running in my first race. I won't win any medals, but I'll finish. I'm not sure I could even say that a year ago.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I took a very slow approach. I started adding one minute of running to 10 minutes of brisk walking. The thing is, I didn't slow my walking pace. I could have ran more but I would have been tempted to slow my walking to compensate which is something I wasn't willing to do. The running was a bonus while the walking was the focus. Eventually, I cut the walking down to 8 then 6 then 4 while keeping the run to a minute. By the time I got there, I was more than ready to run longer so I finally started adding time to the runs. Eventually, the walks became a minute while the runs became 10. After that, I was ready to cut the walking. It took a long time and tested my patience but it gave my body time to get used to running.
  • willodawisp85
    willodawisp85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Things I learnt

-Get some decent shoes
    -Start slowly, an app like couch to 5K or Zombies 5k are good.
    -Don't worry if you find it really tough at first. I felt so bad I couldn't even manage 1 min runs at first. I just did 30 seconds and kept trying and my fitness improved quicker than I thought possible. If I remember rightly I think the zombies app starts you on 15 second runs and the 5k app I had started on 1 min runs.
    -Slow down your pace. I failed and almost gave up when I first started because I was running way too fast.
    -Buy a decent sports bra, makes things more comfortable.
    -Compression shorts were a must for me for comfort (I hold most of my extra weight on my legs)
    -Sometimes it was the mental challenge more than the physical that was holding me back. I needed some good tunes on my iPod to keep me motivated. If you would rather run without music maybe pick interesting routes so you don't get bored.