Did anyone here get depressed after working out?

Options

Replies

• hibee_rye
    hibee_rye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm not a huge fan of vitamin supplements (except maybe prenatal, but even then there is mixed evidence). A lot of times you are much better off getting your vitamins from food, because a lot of vitamins work most effectively with other micronutrients (ie, calcium and vitamin D work in tandem to help the other get absorbed). Also, your body can only absorb so much of each vitamin at a time - somewhere between 10% and 25% of your recommended daily value, depending on which vitamin and what else you've taken with it. Supplements that give you 300% of this vitamin and 200% of that vitamin means your kidney just has more "waste" product to get rid of (because your body can't absorb any more at that time) and you're just peeing your vitamins (and the money you spent on the supplements) away. Also, I don't think trainers are always the best source for diet guidelines - they can take a class one weekend and call themselves a "nutritionist". Not saying that was the case for you, but I do strongly feel that eating the net amount MFP recommends (ie, eating back your exercise calories) is eating more than most trainers would recommend, but also safer, healthier, and more likely to be successful. (Though you say you tried different things; maybe you did try that.)

And here was me thinking that centrum was the way forward! Seriously, though, didn't think you would waste vitamins, but I am quite open to admitting that I am ignorant. I will keep that in mind for the future. Thank you. :)
  • hibee_rye
    Options
    I agree that there may be some medical issue you don't know about. I have a hard time after exercising - I can never do it early in the day or I have no energy and need a long nap. My problem is that I am Insulin Resistant and so my body doesn't release energy normally. The solution for me is to exercise in the evening. You could also have something up with your thyroid, which is easily treatable. It wouldn't hurt to have a physical and complete blood workup to see if there is something else going on.

Note that Insulin Resistance is diagnosed with a very specific test. It doesn't show up in regular blood work.

Never had an insulin test, but tried exercise at different times... Plus thyroid is fine. Thanks for the suggestions though - is the insulin thing linked to diabetes?
  • hibee_rye
    Options
    Exercising used to make me feel exactly the same way you described - especially the part about having to nap just to be able to do anything else in the day. I have since found out that I have sleep apnea and now that it is being treated, I can most of the time function like most normal people even after exercising. You might want to consider looking into it......I should add that although I am overweight, I am not terribly huge - sleep apnea apparently affects more people than you would expect. Just an idea for you.

Now there is an interesting thing, especially since my sleeping patterns changed... I thought sleep apnea was where you fell asleep randomly and stuff or am I way off?
  • hibee_rye
    Options
    It's funny I should see this thread because I was just thinking about this the other day. I used to get really pissy or feel down during/after working out/going to the gym or any kind of exercise. I thought it was just bringing out testosterone or something. But then, I've always had mild, chronic depression. Most people don't even notice. I'd generally feel better from exercising, but i'd NEVER get the "endorphin rush" everyone would talk about.

Since starting Prozac, I've noticed that I actually enjoy jogging. I'm much more patient with myself, too.

I'm NOT saying you need an SSRI, but you might ask your doc specifically about feeling grouchy after working out. Maybe you're just pushing yourself too hard or expecting too much?

Depression is something I am acutely aware of because of my family history, so am neither scared or bothered about discussing it, but thank you for your sensitivity in suggesting it. I appreciate that. :)

I actually take trazadone at the moment, but started taking it before working out and discussed it with the doctor who said all should be fine. I can only go by what I am told as I don't claim to be medical in anyway.

As far as expectations, well, I know I will never be Brad Pitt... But an Edward Norton would be nice! Lol
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    While there may be medical reasons for why you felt the way you did when exercising, the most important thing about exercise in my mind, is whether or not you are doing something you ENJOY. This is far more important than what Exercise Study x says compared to Exercise Study y.

After some terrible experiences of P.E. at school, I was always happy to see myself as a "non-sporty" type. I liked working out with weights and I liked walking around my local countryside, but that was it. I hated the sporting/jock culture and I couldn't work out in gyms that had that "school gymnasium" atmosphere. I also didn't play any sports, almost on point of principle.

But as time has gone by I got into cycling with friends (again, because I could do it in my local countryside), then through that I got into RPM (similar to Spinning). I then bought P90X and through that I discovered a love for Power Yoga and I also got hold of a number of hard workouts that I could stick with and do at home (and again, convenience can also be a big issue - no travelling, no getting changed in locker rooms, no sweating embarrassingly in public)....

So now, I not only lift weights like I always have, but I experiment with Met-Con circuit workouts. I cycle, do RPM and Yoga, and also do things like Plyometrics. Because of this I am now considering taking up sports and/or doing Challenges, such as cycling the coast-to-coast (the UK, not US!!) or trying mini-triathlons or a half marathon.

A lot of my friends are the same. They used to play Rugby and that was it. Now they have had to give up as the ol' bods aren't as resilient as they used to be, they have all started mountain biking and they/we can stick to it because they like it.

And of course the other big thing is finding something that fits with your schedule. I too know the feeling of trudging to the gym on a dark Winter's night, after a long day at work. It just feels like another chore. But by finding things that fit around my schedule or I can do at convenient times, it is far easier to stick to and far less of an additional drain on my time and resources.

So at the end of the day, what do you like doing? Try and find out and then just do it! Lots!
  • NaimShaikh
    Options
    FATIGUE / DEPRESSION AFTER EXERCISE :
    AFTER AN EXTREMELY TOUGH TESTING OF EACH AND EVERY MEDICINE, HERB,
    AYURVED, MEDICATION, WEIGHT TRAINING, INTENSE EXERCISE AND WHAT ELSE I COULD DO........ FINALLY AFTER MANY YEARS I ACHIEVED THE SOLUTION :

IT IS A PROBLEM WITH SALIVA (SALIVARY GLAND). EITHER IT DOES NOT PRODUCE ENOUGH QUANTITY OR NOT EFFECTIVE AS IT MUST BE.
    TEST IT YOURSELF=> (WHEN YOU FEEL DEPRESSED AT THAT TIME YOUR MOUTH BECOMES DRY & YOU LOSE APETITE FOR FOOD AND ENTHUSIASM).

TO RECOVER FROM THIS :
    EVERY TIME YOU WAKE UP : TAKE A CLOVE . CHEW IT COMPLETELY IN MOUTH FOR 10 MINUTES.

THIS WILL STABILIZE THE SALIVA AND GLUCOSE PROBLEM.

ONCE IN A WEEK TAKE A DETOXIFYING DIET TO CLEAN LIVER BECAUSE MOST OF HORMONES PROCESSED IN LIVER.
    FOR THIS PROCESS : CHOSE 1 DAY IN A WEEEK. EAT CINNAMON AND TURMERIC BEFORE GOING TO BED. THIS WILL FLUSH OUT PROBLEMATIC SUGAR AND TOXIC SUBSTANCES FROM BODY.

FOLLOW THIS PROCESS FOR 6 MONTHS THEN AFTER START YOUR ROUTINE EXERCISE PROGRAM.

SHARE IT ... HELP OTHERS LIKE US... SAVE THEM.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I get depessed after workouts because I run out of workout for the day :(
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Working out makes me get really anxious during and afterwards a lot of times and I can't sleep after a work out. I don't think I've ever gotten depressed though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This may be the worst zombie thread bump in the history of the site.

Congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    hmmmm. maybe you just dont like exersize. you dont need it to lose weight, dont do it.

or you dont like the gym.

then go for walks instead. or buy a bike and ride around. something that feels more like fun than work.

i get depressed when i spend my time doing things i hate. thats why i dont work for other people anymore.

bah why did i waste my time reading and relying to zombieeeeeee
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This may be the worst zombie thread bump in the history of the site.

Congratulations :flowerforyou:

Don't worry - take 2 cloves and see me in the morning!
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Deficiencies in D3, B12, too high or low TSH, and hypoglycaemia can cause those issues you mentioned. If you haven't been checked, ask your doctor to have the bloodwork done. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you're grumpy after a workout, you might not like what you do. If you don't like your workout, do something else.

Sometimes I cry at the end of a workout, but it's not depression; it's the release of endorphins and I feel better as a result.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    sometimes, when things aren't going as well I get frustrated and angry. and at first I didn't feel happy about exercising at all x) it took some time until I noticed I was smiling at the gym. :3
    and I lost motivation at the end of last year, back then it felt pretty depressing and I was always angry at the gym. then I took a break.. but I came back and slowly got my motivation back too :) now it's all good (depends on a day ofcourse!)
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It might have been because exercising at a gym just isn't your thing. I have done the daily grind at the gym before and only seemed to manage a few months at a time because I get so bored and dread going somewhere I pay for that I don't want to be. haha. Whats great is that there are so many exercises you can do at home or outside that don't cost you anything! I really enjoy team sports and luckily a bunch of my coworkers do as well. Every monday we get together to play volleyball after work for a few hours and on wednesdays we play soccer tennis (which is awesome!) Then usually on the weekends I'll get my bike out and go explore my city for a while and another day I usually go swimming or go for a walk. It's nothing so intense that I get discouraged to go again but I definitely get a workout in! It's hard to get an endorphin kick if you're in an environment that you don't like or don't want to be in. Youtube is also really great if you like work out videos! (again... free) Everything from yoga to interval training and dance. I also like the feeling of having accomplished something. During my bike rides I can physically see that I've gone 4 miles as opposed to riding a stationary bike at the gym. I have definitely left the gym feeling drained and usually very hungry. I'm glad you walked away from something that was effecting your mood so negatively. However don't give up on exercise altogether! You just have to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    hmmm your post sounds very similar to what I experienced about a year ago and still continue struggling with today... I would work out start feeling great and about 20 minutes into the workout i'd get either filled with rage or depressed as all hell. ( while heart rate was up mind you) it's truly a bizarre feeling ... this went on for a couple months until I decided to see a psychologist. Turns out there was some other stuff going on in my life that some how worked its way into my workout routine.

Nowadays that rarely happens so hopefully you can ride it out.

Good luck bro
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    BRmn17r.jpg
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What type of exercises were you doing at the gym?
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Depression is something I am acutely aware of because of my family history, so am neither scared or bothered about discussing it, but thank you for your sensitivity in suggesting it. I appreciate that. :)

I actually take trazadone at the moment, but started taking it before working out and discussed it with the doctor who said all should be fine. I can only go by what I am told as I don't claim to be medical in anyway.

As far as expectations, well, I know I will never be Brad Pitt... But an Edward Norton would be nice! Lol
    [/quote]

Are you on any other medications?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Sounds like overtraining symptoms, not a medical condition or anything. You were just overdoing it.
    Overtraining may be accompanied by one or more concomitant symptoms:
    Persistent muscle soreness
    Persistent fatigue
    Elevated resting heart rate
    Reduced heart rate variability
    Increased susceptibility to infections
    Increased incidence of injuries
    Irritability
    Depression
    Mental breakdown
    Listed below are some of the common effects and cited signs of overtraining. Not all of the following effects will occur. The presence of any of these symptoms does not imply that an individual is overtrained.[4][5][6][7][8]

Physiological[edit]
    Lymphocytopenia[9]
    Excessive weight loss
    Excessive loss of body fat
    Increased resting heart rate
    Decreased muscular strength
    Increased submaximal heart rate
    Inability to complete workouts
    Chronic muscle soreness
    Fatigue
    Increased incidence of injury
    Depressed immune system
    Constipation or diarrhea
    Absence of menstruation
    Frequent minor infections/colds
    Insomnia
    Heart Palpitations
    Lower Testosterone Levels
    Higher Cortisol Levels

Psychological[edit]
    Depression
    Loss of appetite
    Mood Disturbance[10]
    Irritability
    Loss of motivation
    Loss of enthusiasm
    Loss of competitive drive

Performance[edit]
    Early onset of fatigue
    Decreased aerobic capacity
    Poor physical performance
    Inability to complete workouts
    Delayed recovery

Don't quit. Just take a step back and take it easy for a while. Once you're feeling better, then get back into it, but takeslower progression. Your body can only handle so much.