Low Calorie Chocolate Options?

Options
MelanieEaton_
MelanieEaton_ Posts: 17 Member
I LOVE chocolate! However, most of the time it comes in the form of very high calories, fat, and sugar, and can blow my whole day when I get a strong enough craving. Does anyone have any recipes or products they love that provide a lower calorie chocolate option?

Replies

• paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe but...Ghiradeli 86% chocolate bar works like a champ. I can eat one square (occasionally two) and cut the craving. Run about 62 calories each and don't carry much sugar (my bug-a-boo).
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
    Fudgsicle - Sugar Free Fudgesicle, 1 pop 40 9 1 1 2 2
    Meijer - Chocolate Pudding Mix, Sugar Free and Fat Free, 1/2 cup cooked 30 8 0 0 0 0
  • Riz72
    Riz72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use cocoa powder a lot. It has a lot of health benefits and gives that extra chocolate flavour. If you're a dark chocolate fan, add this to any chocolate to make it stronger. I feel like if you do that (especially to the sugar free ones etc.) then you get your craving done with quicker.

Plus it's low carb and a source of fiber I think as well.
  • MelanieEaton_
    MelanieEaton_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions you guys! Definitely going to look into these :)
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It's really all about moderation; often you don't need a whole chocolate bar to feel satisfied.

I tend to either do Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt (which is 50 cals for a good sized square) or Cadbury Fruit and Nut (which is 130 for half a bar).
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I just have an Options hot chocolate drink. It usually does the trick for only about 40 calories. If I make a big mug of it I count it as 80 calories. Nice and warming in the winter months too.
  • Rob_Roberts
    Options
    Individually packaged squares of chocolate might make it easier too control portion size, or less tempting to eat a lot. I think the darker the chocolate, the less it takes to satisfy my craving. Lindt makes a really good 90% bar.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate fiend so I can relate! I can't do the "break off a couple squares of a chocolate bar" thing because my willpower with chocolate is not great! I do better with individually wrapped items where it is pre-measured.

My go to chocolate fixes:
    -Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares - 60 calories each
    -Jello sugar-free chocolate pudding cups - 60 calories, 3 grams of fat
    -Vitalicious muffin tops - Banana choco-chip - 100 calories, 5 grams of protein, 8 grams of fiber
    -Sheila G's chocolate chip Brownie Brittle - 120 calories per serving, 4 grams of fat
    -Weight Watchers chocolate candy bar ice cream bar - 150 calories (it tastes exactly like a Snickers ice cream bar!)
    -Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches/cones - 100-150 calories
    -Sugar-free Fudgcicles - 40 calories
    -Mixims Greek yogurt with cherry or raspberry with dark chocolate shavings - 155 calories, 10 grams of protein
    -Think Thin Brownie Crunch protein bars 220 calories, 20 grams of protein, (sugar and gluten free)
    -A serving of Cocoa Puffs or Count Chocula with non-fat milk - 150 calories
    -Swissmiss no sugar added hot chocolate - 60 calories

ETA: Ya... I really love chocolate. :love::blushing: :heart:
  • lhkim85
    lhkim85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find that a handful of semisweet chocolate chips is usually pretty satisfying and not too many calories. Ghirardelli ones are best of course but at the moment I have a bag of Kirkland brand and they're not bad.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've been eating these ice cream cones from Eating Right called Chocolate Curl, they're 140 calories.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    If you do some baking/ cooking, you could add a few chocolate chips to pancakes or muffin recipes. Or cocoa to the same. My parents usually make diet puddings. The other suggestions noted are great also.
  • Dragonborn79
    Options
    I agree with the cocoa powder suggestion. I mix 15g of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa and a scoop of protein powder into Greek yogurt and eat it after I work out. Tasty, high protein chocolate pudding! I also add 7g of coconut oil because my doctor wants me to get at least 7-9 grams of fat each time I eat. You can also add honey, agave, Stevia or other sweetener, though I don't bother with it anymore.
  • robynthomson710
    Options
    recipe: 1/2 cup refried black beans (Casa fiesta brand - already mashed), 1/4 cup vanilla whey, 1 tbs cocoa, 50g unsweetened dark chocolate (I used Lindt 90%). I also added 3 sachets of sucralose. Mix beans, cocoa, whey and sweetner. Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts. Mix everything together. Place in the fridge for an hour to firm up. Roll into bite size balls. You can then roll them in some cocoa. I used Nomu sugar free hot chocolate because its sweeter. My mix made 12 truffles at 35 calories, 3g carbs, 2g fat and 3g protein per truffle.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    my tip would be to buy small individual bars/portions and keep in the fridge.
    then. it takes longer to nibble them,maximising my choccy high!
    curly wurly is 115 cals, 25g moser Roth dark choc orange 134 cals from aldi.
    the flatter the bar,the better i find.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I use cocoa powder either in milk or in yogurt......or mix all together and make a chocolate smoothie (can add a banana and chocolate protein powder here, too). Or I have a chocolate protein bar. There are also little mini ice creams.....60 cals each.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Many people here on MFP can show self control and eat a modest amount of chocolate BUT if you find that you can't eat a small portion , or you can't eat " low calorie" chocolate , then you may need to abstain.

I consider myself a true "chocoholic" and have not found any low carb, low calorie chocolate dessert that I really enjoy .
    If you have quite a bit of extra weight , do what is best for you---try the ideas and if they work "great" otherwise only buy and bring into your home, items that help you reach your goals.

Good Luck
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    High cocoa chocolate works great for me, and generally have about 3 squares a day, mostly because I find it so effective at cutting my appetite if I give it a few mins after I eat it. I'm generally not a chocolate addict though, and mainly eat it for something healthy and indulgent :)

I will say though that I find it difficult to eat anything other than dark chocolate in such moderation, as I guess its the sugar added to it that means 1 square just inspires a taste for several more. I don't find that at all with darker chocolate, especially when you go north of 60/ 65%, and generally I find 70% a good compromise between taste and stuff added to it.

If you're keeping a careful eye on sugar, you might want to go to 80/ 85%, but its not an easy jump and better done in stages, ie milk -> 50/ 55% -> 65/ 70% -> 80/ 85%, as cocoa/ cacao I don't find so tasty in their pure form without anything added.

Oh, if portion control is an issue, I've often pondered the idea of having a snack box, with portioned amounts of my snacks for the day, so you know what you have for the day, and once its gone its gone :)
  • hollytrolly91
    hollytrolly91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate too and so have a 'fun size' chocolate bar each evening before I go to bed:
    Milky bar- 67 cals
    Cadbury fudge - 115 cals
    Galaxy ripple - 90 cals

Also tend to have 2 mugs of options hot chocolate throughout the day too :)
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    slim fast nougat chocolate bar - taste like a mars bars but only 95 calories.

or

tasty little numbers to both dark milk and white chocolate bars for 100 calories each

please advise where i can buy individual wrapped chocolate squares??
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Mmm chocolate!

I also need a daily fix and these are the options I go with, all under 100 calories!

Mini Mars ice cream 74 calories
    Weight Watchers jaffa cake bar - 75 calories
    Weight Watchers caramel wafer - 78 calories
    Wagon Wheel wheelies biscuit - 86 calories
    Aero chocolate mousse - 94 calories
    Chocolate nesquick drink with skimmed milk - 100 calories