Fish Oil: Good Idea or Just Eat lots of Fish

Options
Does anyone know if Fish Oil is good for weight loss? I used to take it and now I don't.. I'm wondering if I would benefit from starting a regimen again? I know it's wonderful for blood pressure... but also has a high correlation to prostate cancer. Just trying to count the costs... thanks all!

Replies

• MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Fish oil helps me poop. Really. And I hate fish, so, I take the capsules.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Didn't know about the correlation to prostate cancer, any pointer links you might have ? :)

Re: fish oil in general, I used to take a balanced omega supplement which had fish oil as one of the three ingredients, and found it fantastic, like rocket fuel actually, once you'd given it a little time (a week or two) to build up in your system. Was simply never mentally tired when I took it, great stuff all in all I found.

Fresh fish would be a good way to go I imagine, and myself I try to eat fresh oily fish at least once a week, in addition to several cans of tuna, and sometimes some smoked mackerel between that. I think I would like to acquire a habit for sardines too, as they're supposed to be fantastic also :)
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Didn't know about the correlation to prostate cancer, any pointer links you might have ? :)

Here's a start:
    http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/105/15/1132
  • six1908
    six1908 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here's where I read about the study that showed a correlation between fish oil intake and risk for prostate cancer:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/fish-oil-friend-or-foe-201307126467
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links, must do some reading. Had been completely oblivious to that connection I must say, and must take a peek at the articles you mentioned :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I take it for my triglycerides, but it's not really known to help with weight loss. Plus, fatty fish and fish oil are about the same thing but I'm not a fan of fatty fish so I pop capsules (except for tuna, which does not have enough fish oil to cover my prescribed 4 grams within reasonable quantities).
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I don't think so... for heart health... sure... I just take the supplement because me cooking fish turns into a disaster so the only time I eat it is at a resturant that can cook it well.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you don't like fish or fish oil gives you a bad taste then try krill oil. It is supposed to be better. OP: fish oil has a variety of beneficial uses. Weight loss is not one of them.
  • osteological
    osteological Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you don't like fish or fish oil gives you a bad taste then try krill oil. It is supposed to be better.

I take Krill Oil because I couldn't take the fish burps from regular fish oil! Definitely much better, no fish burps.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options
    Here's where I read about the study that showed a correlation between fish oil intake and risk for prostate cancer:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/fish-oil-friend-or-foe-201307126467
    It actually wasn't supplementation of fish oil it was from analyzing the blood for selenium and vit E and it's effect on cancer growth and where they found the correlation of the omega 3's.......eating salmon twice a eek would give the same type of blood work, so that means eating salmon would increase a persons risk of prostate cancer.