Trail Walking Alone - Yay or Nay?

Options
12346»

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So I have a few parks around my house that have some hiking trails that I'd love to walk. I was able to go to each of the parks once with a buddy, so I was able to see part of the lay out and it's just hilly - no cliffs or anything dangerous.

I'd love to keep going, but my boyfriend worries that I'll be going alone. I don't have a partner to take with me (I have off Thursdays and noone else is, and Sundays, in which the BF doesn't want to do any form of exercise - so I'm alone in most things I do fitness-wise). I currently go for walks/runs around the block from our house (well, I live with the BFs family), but I want to change up the pace every now and then.

I'd love to hear people's opinions - would/have you gone alone for something like that? What can I say to the BF to help ease his mind?

Please, please, please don't do this! It isn't an issue of injuring yourself (though this is a possibility). It is extremely common for there to be rapes and murders on trails that don't get well publicized. This has been the case everywhere I have lived.

While it's unlikely to happen, it is far more likely to happen if you're alone.

"extremely common"

"unlikely to happen"

Which is it?
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If I didn't bike or walk trails alone, I would never get to, since I don't know anyone who who wants to exercise except my brother does bike sometimes with me. But I always feel safe and let people know where I am going. I actually love being able to set my own pace, be it fast or slow that day. Pepper spray is always a good bet, but I have yet to get any. I feel the worst that could happen to me is that I will trip over a bunny or a deer will run me over, I think I will be alright though. LOL
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'd probably do it alone but I'd bring mace or a pistol. Serial killers like to stalk lonely trails. WOooooooOOoooo!

More likely to run into a cougar or coyote, but hey, better to be safe.

oh I see.. it's a park trail. you can remove wild animals, but there still might be stalkers.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you're running at night through the mountains, being alone is a problem, but through a park in the city? Being paranoid to do that falls squarely in the "I won't cross the road because a bus might hit me" category.

I love how you make this sound normal!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you're running at night through the mountains, being alone is a problem, but through a park in the city?
    City parks aren't safe either.

directv-attack-of-the-squirrels-large-3.jpg

20056d1404930208-22-vs-177-squirrel-directv-squirrel-attack-commercial.jpg
  • ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bring water and some nuts or other snack. Let everyone know where you will be at and route if possible. If it will make him feel better pack bear spray, shoots further than pepper spray. If legal and you're comfortable with it a gun.
    If he's still not happy always remind him he's welcome to join you.

THIS!!! I hike alone almost everday and this is my moto. I have a tracker on my phone as well (my son insisted)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So I have a few parks around my house that have some hiking trails that I'd love to walk. I was able to go to each of the parks once with a buddy, so I was able to see part of the lay out and it's just hilly - no cliffs or anything dangerous.

I'd love to keep going, but my boyfriend worries that I'll be going alone. I don't have a partner to take with me (I have off Thursdays and noone else is, and Sundays, in which the BF doesn't want to do any form of exercise - so I'm alone in most things I do fitness-wise). I currently go for walks/runs around the block from our house (well, I live with the BFs family), but I want to change up the pace every now and then.

I'd love to hear people's opinions - would/have you gone alone for something like that? What can I say to the BF to help ease his mind?

Please, please, please don't do this! It isn't an issue of injuring yourself (though this is a possibility). It is extremely common for there to be rapes and murders on trails that don't get well publicized. This has been the case everywhere I have lived.

While it's unlikely to happen, it is far more likely to happen if you're alone.

"extremely common"

"unlikely to happen"

Which is it?

I think she means that it's extremely common for rapes and murders on trails to not get publicized. Not for them to happen.

Of course, it's even LESS common for rapes that happen inside people's homes to get publicized.

The murder rate in the US is 4.7 per 100,000 people a year, so it's more widely reported. The rape rate is about 7X that.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't think I'd get this many people talking about my little topic!

I think his main issue is that he's lived in the area his whole life, and I've only just moved here a month or so ago. I'm still learning the area and don't know much about NJ life. I've been to each of the parks twice, and I have maps, so I know them to the best that I can so far.

I'd love to take him with me, but he's never here - he's away for school, and I see him maybe 2 times a month. Sundays are the only chance I'd have, and I know he doesn't like to go.

For those of you who think I'm victim in my own home - he does not have control over me. If I want to go, I'm going to go. I just wanted other people's opinions on the subject so that I can put my BF mind at ease. It seems many people are on both sides of the fence and I'm trying to weigh both options on how to show him I'm not going to get hurt or raped or be a statistic.

Thank you to all who've answered the question!

Look up the police stats of violent crimes in your area. Talk to the agency in charge of the park you'd like to run in. Compare them to the area you lived in before.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another person that doesn't "let" his significant other do things they want to do.

Brb, gonna talk to my wife about how much of her autonomy I'm about to take away from her because obviously I've been doing it wrong
    My partner is free to do what she likes, all I did was warn her that there had been sexual assaults in the area and what she was doing was putting herself and my two small children in danger.

If you read the last bit, several women WERE sexually assaulted in the same fields that she was going to walk though at the time I warned her off doing it (they never caught anyone for these assaults BTW, so they are still out there!)

I can live with the fact that I warned her about the dangers of walking alone through the fields when these things were happening at the time (her mother agreed with me as well and was far more forceful than I could ever be). Could you be happy knowing you could have warned your partner but chose not to if the unthinkable happened?
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I personally would never do it, but I'm not a risk taker and I don't like to put myself in a situation where something bad could happen if I could prevent it.

But, if you want to do it be smart about it. Don't wear both ear buds if you listen to music so you can still hear whats going on around you. Take your phone and use a tracking app like Glympse so your BF knows where you are and are safe. Know where you are going and how long that will take.

Learning/knowing some self-defense moves wouldn't hurt along with some type of protection. Pepper spray, pocket knife, gun, etc.
  • Bergenblart
    Bergenblart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I go walking alone alot of the time on country roads, pathways and sometimes the woodland parks; my husband doesn't really like me to go out on my own and I tell him I 'keep my eye out'. I have only two mates who are willing to walk; but one can be busy most of the time and a neighbour mate, who is quite heavy, doesn't like to walk very far...bless her, so we don't go very far or fast when I'm with her. We have lots of walking public paths here in England and most of the time there's dog walkers, joggers, ramblers, horse riders and bicyclists around so I'm not too afraid to go out on my own.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable doing it, go for it. If you want to give others piece of mind, RoadID has an app for iPhone (at least) that sends whoever you designate an email or SMS (text) message with a link that allows them to follow along with your trek. I use it when running longer distances so my wife can see where I am. It also has the ability to notify someone if you stay still for 5 min while it is running.
  • da_bears1008
    Options
    Get a dog. A big dog. A dog that looks like "screw with my owner, and i will rip your throat out." Problem solved.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I always run alone and before dawn in a mostly un-lit park. My boyfriend doesn't love that I do it, but he also will not run with me so I told him that's the only option. All the girls at work are completely appalled by the fact that I go alone. They say they won't even run outside alone in the daytime! (I live in Dallas, TX by the way) I do carry my phone on my armband and I have a road ID bracelet with my name, town and my bf's phone number on it. I tell the bf what time I'm heading out and how far I plan on running so he knows when to expect me back. I also assured him that if anything were to happen I will fight like hell! Definitely not living my life in fear.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Someone died on this hike 5 days before I did it. *shrugs* Didn't stop me from doing it. You can't live your life in fear.

q2Uqp1Dl.jpg

Where is this? Looks awesome!

I could be wrong, but it looks like Long's Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park, looking down the Chasm Lake side.

That's quite the hike, 15 miles and 5000 feet up. I haven't done it yet but it's on my list. I have gone to Chasm Lake though.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't live life based on fear of what might (but might not) happen. You do have a smart phone, use it to make sure your path is being tracked and your friends can check it on their computer. Stay away from people on the trail. If you don't know them make them keep their distance. Find a tactical baton class and take it. There is even a small attachment that can turn it into a powerful flash light, (excuse to carry it) they are useful for any kind of problem, be it 2 legged or 4. Just be sure that you find good instruction about how to use it and stay within the law.
    Until you can do that, take along a can of hornet spray, better than pepper spray and keep everyone you meet at least 20 feet away from you.

Wow, I'd never seen these before! Pretty cool weapons - light, strong, and potentially very effective. thanks.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I definitely say go for it! Trails alone can be such a great experience mentally. As has been reiterated here already, there's no need to be fearful with the number of options for protection and course tracking out there nowadays. I've learned some new suggestions and apps myself just cruising this thread. The fear mongering of "could be", "it's happened before" and "what if" needs to be acknowledged then dismissed.

I really can't express enough the mental benefits of alone time in the outdoors...for me it's super fulfilling.