New runner trying to lose weight

Options
Help! I am getting shin splints when I run. I have tried shin slint stretches and icing my leg after running. Any other ideas?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    How the shoes fit are very important. If you haven't already, go to a specialty store where they watch you run in various types of shoes and help you select the best ones. It makes a huge difference.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Help! I am getting shin splints when I run. I have tried shin slint stretches and icing my leg after running. Any other ideas?

Work through it. Running uphill definitely adds to the pain, so, I'd stay away from that. keep it up! You'll work through it
  • melissabecker
    melissabecker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SHOES!!! I've also only started running in the last year or so and I used to get them really bad. It didn't matter whether I ran outside or on a treadmill. I was fitted at a running store, and then bought some extra inserts. I have never had shin splints again. I also let the store really help me pick the best pair...just because they are Nike didn't mean they were good. We went with Brooks and I love them, also my friend went with Asics and also really loves hers. They can be pricey, a little trick we learned was to go to the running store for help and then go buy them online...they are cheaper that way.

Hope this helps - good luck!
  • lmackey01
    Options
    Be sure to not do too much too soon. You also need to strengthen you shins. Do toe taps several times a day. You can also sit in a chair and write the alphabet with your toe pointed several times a day. The icing is great. Continue to do that. If your shins are really hurting you should either take a break or do a non-impact cross training activity (swimming, elliptical, biking). You don't want it to turn into a more serious injury, like a stress fracture. Trust me, unfortunately I know! Then it really sucks because you can't run, and that burns more calories than just about any other exercise that I enjoy doing! Also, it is very important that you get fitted properly for running shoes. They can make a huge difference. Do you have a local running store, like a Fleet Feet? They will analyze your gait and fit you with a good shoe. Try a specialized running store first before a big box chain store, like ****'s. The majority of the time shin splints are caused by improperly fitting shoes and/or doing too much too soon. I've been running for years and love it. I'm sure you'll be hooked in no time :)
  • lmackey01
    Options

Work through it. Running uphill definitely adds to the pain, so, I'd stay away from that. keep it up! You'll work through it

I do not suggest this. I did this and ended up with a stress fracture and in a boot with crutches. You should not run on them if they are very painful.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I always suggest watching a couple of videos on youtube-search "the chi of running" there are couple of videos that show proper running form that really reduces impact (look for the comparison between a runner on a treadmill in socks and one in shoes) not that you should run barefoot, but that you would run naturally in proper form, but shoes often change our gait and once you know you can concentrate on proper form.
    It might not help but it can't hurt!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Nice thick cushiony socks help me more than I ever thought possible.