Working out = Constant Hunger

Options
Hi! I've been watching what I eat for about 3 months now. Lots of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and lower carbs. I've been working out very casually. Last night Hubby and I went and did circuit training. I have not worked out this hard since I don't know when. We came home and ate dinner. At 1:00 am I woke up and I was RAVENOUS. I ate 1 tbsp of peanut butter and 1/2 cup of almond milk. All was well. Today at work I have been trying to eat within my normal limits -- BUT I AM STARVING!!!!

What gives? Anybody been through this before. I can not get satiated today. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    After a night of Strolnglifts 5x5 I can eat the entire house. Just like I want to today lol Gotta fuel the machine
  • gaffney67
    gaffney67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What causes changes to weight is a surplus or deficit of calorie intake to calories burned. If you start burning more carbs you will increase your deficit unless you balance it off with added calorie intake.

So what you need to do is find the calorie deficit that suits you.
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    Related Ads
    Calorie Chart
    Fitness Tracker
    Diet Exercise Diary

Your Food Diary For: Tuesday, September 9, 2014
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Berry Smoothie, 1 serving(s) 345 40 15 10 230 16
    Add Food Quick Tools 345 40 15 10 230 16
    Lunch
    Joseph's - Flat Bread Wrap - Multi Grain, 1 wrap 90 13 3 7 240 1
    Laughing Cow - Light, Creamy Swiss Flavor Cheese Wedge, 2 wedge (21g) 70 2 3 4 360 2
    Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Meats - Honey Ham, 8.0 slices 80 3 2 12 680 3
    Tangerines, (mandarin oranges) - Raw, 0.5 cup, sections 52 13 0 1 2 10
    Great Value - Light Greek Nonfat Yogurt Blueberry, 5.3 oz 90 9 0 12 45 8
    Add Food Quick Tools 382 40 8 36 1,327 24
    Dinner
    Tortillas - Guerrero Corn Tortilla 6", 3 tortillas 150 33 2 3 15 3
    Western Family - Fajita Mix Frozen Vegetables, 2 cup 40 8 0 2 0 2
    Kraft Natural Shredded Cheese - Colby & Montery Jack, 3/4 cup 300 3 24 18 510 0
    Yogurt - Plain Greek Yogurt 0%, 3 oz 60 6 0 9 45 1
    Protein - Tyson Chicken Breast, 8 oz 280 0 8 50 80 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 830 50 34 82 650 6
    Snacks
    Life Choice High Protein Bar - Peanut Butter Extreme, 1 Bar 210 14 8 21 125 7
    Russell Stover - Pumpkin Pie In Milk Chocolate, 1 pumpkin (28g) 140 17 8 2 65
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Constant Hunger = You need to eat more.
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    I agree I probably need to eat more. But as a heavy person, I am finally getting a hold on emotional eating and overeating. I don't want to backslide.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you are eating super low calorie. Any chance you could have traded out some of that cheese for chicken? I know you had chicken in there, but maybe more would have helped. 300 calories of chicken is WAAYY more fulfilling that 300 calories of cheese. Maybe half cheese and more chicken next time. Also, get a good food scale as soon as you can. Solids are not meant to be measured in TBSP or cups. You could be eating more calories than you think or less calories than you think. Grams work the best for weighing solid food. Sadly, this doesn't work when you eat out :-(.
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    Great idea!!! I didn't think about the food scale. I have one but the batteries are dead. THANKS. Much better protein in chicken than cheese too!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    starving is not good sounds like you may need to double check how much and what you are eating. Peanut butter and celery and a couple gallons of water always helps me. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • una2282
    una2282 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great idea!!! I didn't think about the food scale. I have one but the batteries are dead. THANKS. Much better protein in chicken than cheese too!

I would also eat multiple times a day, maybe even break it up to 6x a day along with plenty of water. :)
  • hbgirl85
    Options
    I just upped my workouts to 5-6 days a week for 45-60 minutes (plus a swim class) and I have noticed that I have been starving, often going to bed or waking up in the middle of the night with my stomach growling. I decided to change my tracking from MFP to TDEE and up my food intake, so hopefully I will start to see some results. After two days, I feel much better eating more food and eating more often during the day. No stomach growling that wakes up my husband at might!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You should be having some protein within an hour of working out. I always have a protein shake. No hunger when I do.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating every 2.5 to 3 hours. How do you have your macros set? And get enough water. I just increased my workouts and that made me much hungrier. Message me if it's easier.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm a long distance biker, so when hunger hits, I go for the fats.....and I was fat, but getting skinny(ier). Try including more fat in your diet on your hard work out days. Fat satiates and it is not the evil villain everyone talked about in the past. Fat sticks with you to make you feel full.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    After heavy lifting I get like this. Usually 8 oz of steak (500 calories) and a cold glass of Apple/grape juice (100'calories) for dinner gets me balanced out again. Protein, fat, and a little sugar.

Like the person above said, fat doesn't make you fat. It can give you a heart attack, but it won't make you fat. Lol.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting adequate fiber along with your protein. That helps with satiety as well.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water too? Increase activity will require more water.
    Might still need to tweak the diet, but add more water and it might help.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I'm just doing workouts for about 10 mins at a time. Big workouts = big food for me.
  • attosa
    attosa Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Maybe some more fibre rich foods. Quinoa, legumes, etc. And agree with the extra water. Good luck :)
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I drink a minimum of 144 ounces of water a day. More if working out.