Are Activity Trackers worth the money?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitnessqueeninnyc
    Options
    Activity tracker was the best investment I've made towards my fitness goals. However, intrinsic motivation is internal, therefore, you'll have to assess whether it's a good fit for you. Personally, I love seeing my progress when I use mine (sportline and s health) and it's a great reminder to keep on moving..
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM that I love. It can be cranky sometimes and I feel like that stops me in the middle of my workout to adjust it and get my heart rate back. I think my battery may be running low though. I sometimes will feel done with my workout and look and see I only burned 170 calories and will go some more to at least get to 200. So in that sense it definitely makes me move. BUT ..sometimes I feel like my body could go more, but it says I have burned say 333 calories and I go.. oh.. that's enough and I stop. lol

I hate working out without it tho. I don't like being uncertain as to how many calories I have burned.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The saying "I never leave the house without it" goes further with my Fitbit One; I never go anywhere IN the house - aswell as out of the house - without it. Has it helped me lose more weight and get more active than before I had it? (May this year). I would certainly say it has, yes.

But the major caveat I would say is that you *need* to buy into the mindset of pushing / challenging yourself, if not you are spending a lot of money to do what you were always doing and it's a bit of a white elephant.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just bought a fit bit zip (60-ish bucks). I love it. I find excuses to walk more.
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitbit one, and when I used it... it was motivating. Then I would misplace it, use it, lose it again...etc. You do have to commit to using it regularly and trusting the process. If you are not all in, you will be like me-kinda in so not worth the money. I have read all these comments and have started using it again. It does work.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well I really love my Fitbit!
    1st for reminding me to move
    2nd for knowing my true tdee
    3rd for lovely green logging lately (hehe it adds too much cal on MFP :), can't dare to eat all em back:)
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Are activity trackers worth the money or is the better question, How useful is the information? It seems that manually logging your workouts or activity coupled with the nutrition tracking provided my MFP would be enough. Am I just being a Negative Nelly?

Just curious before I drop $100+

I love my polar ft7 HRM because it gives me a more accurate calorie burn then MFP in my opinion. I've tested the exercise out and mfp always gives me way too high a calorie burn which therefore for me offsets my calories to eat back. I like seeing my heart rate zone and watching the calories add up, its rewarding for me.
  • blukat40
    blukat40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    WOW! Love all the responses. At nearly 52 I am finding myself very motivated. I have used and still have a Garmin 305 HRM so that part is simple. However, I can only wear that when working out and more specifically it is tailored to Running, Walking and Cycling. I am not finding myself doing any of those these days. I looked at the Vivofit and because it uses Garmin Connect, I am certain the workout categories there are not going to match what I do these days so let the editing and re-syncing begin. I am thinking I am over thinking. Ha!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. For myself, an activity tracker would be a complete waste of money...I'm active, I know I'm active and can realistically and accurately determine what my activity level is without using some gadget. Even when I started out, I was just all about the free math.."oh...I want to lose about 1 Lb per week and I've lost about 1.5 - 2 Lbs per week for the last 4 weeks...guess that means I can eat a little more"...and so on and so forth.

I did find my HRM to be a valuable resource early on for my fitness and determining my level of effort...these days, my perceived level of effort pretty much coincides with what a HRM tells me so I don't use it as much anymore...but I love my bike computer.
  • nlmillervt
    nlmillervt Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy with my BodyMedia Fit Link Armband. When I did my research a couple of years ago, I decided it was probably better than a bracelet-style tracker for how I move, and I was afraid I would wash/lose a FitBit. I'm also something of a numbers geek, and I liked the website enough to be willing to pay the monthly fee.

As others have said, having a tracker is great for motivation, and I feel like it gives a more accurate idea of my calorie burn than the MFP numbers and those from my various iPhone apps.

The downside is that I gets lot of questions/looks if it's visible when I'm out in public. That's never been a problem in the gym or when I'm walking/running, though.

Bottom line: I'll purchase another tracker when and if this one dies - it works for my approach to fitness.

PS - These are on sale right now and BodyMedia is offering 6 months free for the online activity tracker. The integration with MFP works pretty well, too.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit zip! Since I primarily run and walk for exercise, it seems to be a much more accurate reflection of how much I should be eating that day. I think it was closer to $50. Just my 2 cents!
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and just got the Polar H7 to replace my old HRM that died. I use them to track different things so like a lot of people said, it really depends on what you want to track. The HRM monitor is for actual work outs (I can check with 4 different places and get 6 different answers on what I burned for calories working out so this way it is based on my own heart rate) and the fitbit is to make sure I move more during the day (and to track my sleep patterns).

The Polar H7 is around $55 on amazon and you can use it with a number of different smart phones & apps, some that link to MFP and some that don't.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Totally love it! I've got the Jawbone UP. I like the sleep track feature so it is on my wrist 24/7 until I need to charge it for the hour or two and showers (of course). This one gives you information when you sync up and totals your weeks steps, etc. I am competitive with myself only, but I know that if you are competitive, there is a Fitbit that has challenges among your friends, etc.

It is all just a little bit more motivation. I will play lazy on a weekend day and then feel so guilty that the next day I'll work out extra hard to make up for it. Just one less excuse and there is visual proof every time you sync up. I also don't like the calorie count in MFP so I only rely on the Sync up to my Jawbone to count how many extra calories a day I get to eat.
  • Choboman
    Choboman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you have a job that keeps you active and on your feet all the time, you might not need one. But if you're like me and have a job sitting behind a desk all day, it's a helpful reminder for me to move more. It also helps keep you aware of how much good, continuous sleep your getting.

I tend to get focused on things (work, games, books, whatever) and spend hours without taking a step. Anything I can get that makes me a little more self conscious about keeping my activity up is a good thing.
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    yes and no. I think it pays to have a tremendous dose of common sense when buying a fitness tracker tool. It's also good to know how to measure the data on your own, such as #steps or distance per minute, or # heartbeats per minute. I'll start with the realities of these tools, and finish on the motivators to get good tools.

Sadly most of the fitness trackers are actually estimating your distance and other bio-data, based on what you input of your age and time spent exercising, etc, and are not really measuring it (you would need a real GPS in the tool to measure real distance and up/down during sleeping; you would need a real HRM to measure heart rate and calorie burn). I've verified this with vendors too.

only the ones with a real heart rate monitor (HRM) or GPS are worth it (HRM = polar and garmin; GPS = garmin).

Most tools do not have GPS nor HRM capability even when they claim measuring heart activity. watch out for fuzzy wording like 'realtime biometric data calculations', 'realtime sleep monitor calculations'. I forget all the other fuzzy fluff wording, but I even verified this with the manufacturers of the most popular fitness trackers these days, and they did confirm privately that the tool does not have a real HRM or does not have a real GPS (for up/down measure during sleeping, or distance measures) but calculates based on your input. There are some swim and cycling monitors with GPS for distance, but that's just one sport tracked, and I'm a multi-activity gal.

Motivators for good tools:
    My top purchase criteria was an HRM, a bonus to get pedometer and sleep monitor, and more crackerjack prizes for other features in the box.

1. HRM: Why is HRM important? HRM is important so you can stay within the right range for fat burning or cardio or cooling down for the right amount of time. You can also capture how many exact minutes you were in various zones (fat burning or cardio). Time in fat-burning zone is critical to lose weight, and minimum zone to achieve good health. Time in cardio is critical for competitive athletes seeking performance gains. gym machines are often out of calibration or don't work, and generalize your whole workout. I needed a reliable tool to help me get into the right zone more frequently for the right amount of time (I don't sweat at all, so sweat is not an indicator). I need it for health reasons too, to help me regain health and measure my HR during fitness and during sleep. You can usually tell when you're in the right workout zone, but not true when you've lost fitness ability.

2. A pedometer can be a great motivator to get minimum # steps in daily, it's worth it even a cheap one! they're not accurate but that's ok as it still gets you moving. 10k steps a day is a lot of miles!

3. Distance/speed monitors are great motivators to challenge yourself more! Need the GPS!

4. Sleep monitors: very valuable to know if you are really sleeping well during nights. if not, it could be an indicator of illness or major stress amping up that will cause disease. Lack of deep sleep will not allow you to recover well which could lead to injury and disease. Need to have a real GPS to know real latitude to get real measures of up/down activity during sleep. An HRM to measure if you are having unusual heart rate activity during sleep.

5. Online tools: And I personally love something about my Garmin Vivofit that was only a bonus item I never considered for purchase intent: automated 'fitness challenge team' assignments. we get grouped with 15 others of similar exercising ability and can see eachothers progress (anonymous screennames), and sometimes we get competitive to beat eachother and other times it's like there's only 300 steps between me and that other guy so I want to get ahead of him and spend 3 minutes more exercising! It's really fun! And clearly motivates one to push just a little bit more! And it's dynamic, moves you up/down in groupings based on your activities and successes. Plus we can connect to support eachother through a web community portal just like this one in MFP.

6. Did you know that having an exercise buddy or team is known to increase fitness gains and weight loss by over 30%? These online community tools do just that, pair you up with fitness buddies. That has been valuable to me because everyone I know seems to quit exercising or whatever, and that's okay... there's a world of active people to meet that have similar self improvement goals!
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    agree that it may not be worthwhile for the young generation that are active and fit....
    I was an extreme athlete til my 40's after which I hit a health challenge and now the tool is fantastic to motivate me to get where I have set my goals (medically approved limits).
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I went with a HR monitor that tells me number of cals burned and time of the activity. it keeps logs of my activity as well. For measuring steps I picked up a cheap pedometer from Wal-mart. Between the two of them I spent 72 dollars. I find it really does help me. I have my goal and I like reaching my goals.
  • wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The activity tracker I have (Basis B2) is way more accurate than the preloaded actives in MFP. Since I eat back my exercise calories that’s huge. I was way over estimating a lot of my activites.

^^^This...what I thought I was burning by logging in mfp...was way more than I was actually burning. We can all do the same 20 min on the elliptical even with the specific selections, but our bodies are so different and we burn calories at different rates. My Polar HRM is one of the best thing I have done. It shows my goal, calorie burns, gives me a weekly total all based on my heart rate and the energy I put into it. It's bee a great motivational tool for me.