pasta portion size????

Options
hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out?. Im making Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner and don't know what the appropriate weight the pasta should be?. Ive looked online and they all say different weights. Id like to know the uncooked (dry) weight of spaghetti for a reasonable portion?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Im not sure I understand your question. If you are handmake the pasta from scratch then I dont have an answer for you but it you are using boxed pasta then usually about 2-3oz dry is plenty to keep me full. all I do to weigh it is put a bowl on the scale and fill it to the desired amount and cook mine separately from everyone elses so I know how much I am eating.
  • robert5891
    Options
    check on the side of the dried pasta box. All of the ones I've seen say a standard serving of dried pasta is 2 oz (56 grams) before cooking. This should resulting in anywhere from 190-200 calories
  • gillickc
    gillickc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    75g is an adult portion size
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I have so far lived in 16 different countries ( most of them under developed ) and in every one the pasta box or bag had somewhere the nutritional information printed on it. It was always for dry pasta.
    Here in MFP you can check in the date base for " pasta dry " and you will get more info than you need. I eat Barilla pasta for example and if you check " Barilla pasta " here in MFP you get dozens of answers. Maybe the same is true for your brand.
    Good Luck !
  • robert5891
    Options
    "75g is an adult portion size"

where is this stated????
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    I never really eat spaghetti but when I have pasta I use 60g dry fusilli or penne. on the packages it says 75g is an adult portion, but I think that's a bit too much for someone my size and prefer to have more veggies than pasta. you could always make 75g and see whether that's right for you?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    "75g is an adult portion size"

where is this stated????
    On most packets of dried pasta
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What the manufacturers of the pasta call a "serving" is wholly up to them. Indeed, 56g (2 oz.) dry is a very common serving size on packages of pasta sold in the US. In some other countries, other amounts may be more common.

I often use the 56g-per-serving when including pasta in a dish but if you want a big pile of spaghetti with just sauce on top, you may find this smaller than you like. I often stretch the pasta with vegetables to get a big, full plate. Hubby and I are both in the 200s and eat most of our calories at supper so we go for big portions.

If you are trying to determine what amount of pasta works for you and your family, you might start with the 56g dry per person amount. Then, if that's not enough or too much, you have a base line for the next time you make pasta. You may find a 75g per person size works better for you. Once you get used to weighing pasta, you'll find it's a lot easier to make the right amount each time. Much easier than standing over the boiling water with the box and wondering if you've poured in enough.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    56 grams or 2 ounces dry is usually about 200 calories worth of pasta.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A "reasonable portion" would be whatever fit into your calories and macros for the day
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out?. Im making Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner and don't know what the appropriate weight the pasta should be?. Ive looked online and they all say different weights. Id like to know the uncooked (dry) weight of spaghetti for a reasonable portion?

My portion for pasta is 2oz uncooked or 5oz cooked.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    2 oz. dry is a serving....
  • Dourpussdora
    Dourpussdora Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the responses, would have been helpful if id kept the packaging but I store my spaghetti in a pasta jar lol.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You can Google this... 2 oz.. Dry is standard answer....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any package of pasta I've ever come across states 2 oz dry as a serving @ around 210 calories. It's actually a pretty good helping of pasta. When cooked, it is a bit more than double in weight @ around 5 ounces or so.

The best thing you could do here is put your bolognese recipe into the recipe builder..and assume you're using serving sizes as per package and you used 1 Lb of pasta, your recipe would serve 8...add all the other ingredients and then portion out 8 equal servings. This can be time consuming initially, but once it's in there, it's in there...and once you know that a full serving of the bolognese (including the meat, veggies, etc) is XX ounces or grams then you're golden in the future.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thank you! I could never figure out how much a COOKED serving of pasta should be... and I just do not have the time or space to measure out my 2 oz of dry pasta and cook it separately from the whole pot. This was the most useful piece of information I have found in a while! Thank you again! :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Thank you! I could never figure out how much a COOKED serving of pasta should be... and I just do not have the time or space to measure out my 2 oz of dry pasta and cook it separately from the whole pot. This was the most useful piece of information I have found in a while! Thank you again! :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

It's because it depends. Weigh it dry, then weigh it cooked, and see how many grams are each serving cooked... but it will vary every time you cook it, depending on how much water the pasta has absorbed.

Personally, I need 2.5-3 ounces of dry pasta to be satisfied, 2 ounces is a joke!