In a fight with a fat guy.

Options
Ok - I admit it, I'm the fat guy.

I'd sure like to know where the 10 mile running, rock climbing, eat what I wanted and still have a 34 inch waist guy went - but admitting he's gone is the first step to getting healthy.

I think setting realistic goals is important. I’m not trying to be 24 again, I’m not going to loose all my weight in a month or two – I merely want to be healthy – and healthy most likely doesn’t mean buying bigger pants when the old ones don’t fit anymore.
I’m starting my journey by getting ready for my journey – I decided to take 20 pounds off before doing anything dynamic. That means walking at lunch and packing meals instead of eating at my favorite restaurants.

That little step (and logging into MFP) has me down 6.5 pounds in 2-weeks. What’s funny about that is all the static I got at work for walking at lunch. I had people telling me it wouldn’t work, it wasn’t enough and that I looked like a “dork.”

To keep myself honest I put a post-it note on a picture of that “10 mile running, rock climbing, eat what I wanted and still have a 34 inch waist guy” that listed my weigh-ins. I see that stupid note every time I get up from my desk – and thankfully I’m listening to that more than my co-workers. ;)

So – to those who have admitted they have work to do – set reasonable goals (that includes time lines) do something to remind yourself of what it is you are doing and work through the noise of naysayers – if you are unlucky enough to encounter them.

Someday I might even put a picture up of me – and not my old motorcycle.

I'd wish everyone the best of luck - but the reason we are all here isn't about luck, it's about effort - so instead I hope everyone stays strong and gets stronger!

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow,,, you work with a bunch of buttmonkeys.

Congrats on the progress so far. This'll be easier and more fun when the good weather gets here. I have a brand new bike I've hardly ridden. We can do this,,,.
  • hgtashbry
    Options
    good luck buddy!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    OK, I hate your co-workers already...LOL. You're doing better for yourself. I learned that any movement is better than none. Keep walking and keep "looking like a dork" but at least you'll be a healthier dork. ;)
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Great post and great attitude! It's funny how people get jealous of your efforts no matter how big or small and say things to try to bring you down. Glad you have that picture and post it to remind yourself of why you are doing this! Keep on keepin' on!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wish you all the luck! Stick with it!
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes
    People are pretty stupid. You dont look like a dork. You look like someone who is working on getting their health back. People wont be saying that when you are out there looking good doing your rock climbing ;-] And thanks because it did make a difference..I am going to go get on the demon bike;-]
    If you need ppl to add to your friends you can add away ;-]
    jac
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yeah your co-workers suck! Keep up the great attitude! The results are so worth it! ~
  • super_chkin
    Options
    Good for you! Don't listen to your ignorant co-workers. I would choose to walk up and down the stairs on my breaks (9 floors, twice a day). I heard all kinds of discouraging words: "that is so dangerous... she could fall.". What?! I was afraid of a more likely scenario: "... she was so young to have a heart attack/stroke/or fill-in-the-scary-ailment-or-your-choice".

Just keep going - you already have the right attitude! :wink:
  • Brittany_Nguyen
    Options
    Very inspirational! They always say, "kids can be so cruel". But it doesn't ever really stop there. I think your plan is great! They set up a walking path where I work for people who get breaks (which happens to exclude myself), but a woman I work with walked it everyday for 6 months and slightly changed her diet plan. She actually lost 48lbs. Every step does count!
  • glittersoul
    Options
    You are doing great! Glad you aren't listening to the monkey's at work lol :)