What is happening when you lose chunks at a time?

Options
So I've noticed that during my loss of 14lbs that it comes in chunks at a time. For a few days I'll be stuck at one weight, maybe lose a few onces, then one day I'll suddenly be down 2-3lbs.

I'm just curious as to why my weight would be coming off like this and if there is a way to get it to change from chunks to nice progression.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Anytime you lose more than an ounce or two at a time, it's water weight. Fat cells hold a certain amount of water. Some people notice that their fat will get "squishy" on top and then they'll suddenly lose a couple of pounds and it's no longer squishy. If you Google this, I'm sure you'll find a more scientific and thorough answer to it. :smile:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Here's the theory:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Not sure if its been studied or not, so take it for what it is (a theory).
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    as fat cells shrink they temporarily fill with water, it's your body's attempt at achieving homeostasis, after a time the cells empty and you suddenly lose like 4 lbs overnight, the problem comes when people assume they have "stalled" due to this and then decide to drop their calories even further when they don't have to
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal. Daily fluctuations have little to do with fat gains or losses. Daily weights are based on hydration level, water retention, glycogen saturation, time of last bowel movement, food in belly, and a million other things. Long term trends in weight like comparing a months worth of weekly average weights is much more telling of actual progress.
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Here's the theory:

That was an interesting read. I'm going to do a bit more research on this. Thanks.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It might depend on the scale, but honestly that seems kind of similar to what I see normally.

For me, I will see a variance form day to day of 2-3 pounds. I have noticed that weighing myself throughout the day really gave some interesting results, I would gain between 4-7 pounds from morning to night, so because of that I always weight myself first thing each morning.

Here is what I see over a two week span generally. I added the activities for those days because I have seen this to be a very consistent pattern (for me at least):

Day 1: 250 lbs (Run 4 miles)
    Day 2: 252 lbs (Rest day)
    Day 3: 249 lbs (Workout at the gym)
    Day 4: 249 lbs (Yoga/Run 4 miles)
    Day 5: 252 lbs (Rest day)
    Day 6: 248 lbs (Run 4 miles)
    Day 7: 250 lbs (Rest day)
    Day 8: 248 lbs (Run 4 miles)
    Day 9: 249 lbs (Rest day)
    Day 10: 247 lbs (Workout at the gym)
    Day 11: 248 lbs (Yoga/Run 4 miles)
    Day 12: 248 lbs (Rest day)
    Day 13: 246 lbs (Run 4 miles)
    Day 14: 248 lbs (Rest day)

Over time, I am losing roughly 2 pounds/week which is my goal, and that listing above is in line with that. I do not record my daily weight, but I've been doing this long enough that I am pretty comfortable saying those numbers are in line with my daily readings in general, and they work out to 4 pounds lost in 2 weeks, the same rate.

Not sure if this helps at all. But there it is, as I've seen it.
  • Peanutmanak47
    Options
    It's totally normal. Daily fluctuations have little to do with fat gains or losses. Daily weights are based on hydration level, water retention, glycogen saturation, time of last bowel movement, food in belly, and a million other things. Long term trends in weight like comparing a months worth of weekly average weights is much more telling of actual progress.

Totally off topic but I freaking love your weight loss tracker.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    my body works in chunks. i'll hit a low low number on the scale and then my weight will go up and down for a week or 2 and then i'll hit another low low.

that's just how my body works, not much i can do about it.

just keep going
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think this is why they advise to weigh weekly rather than daily to get a truer read. Sodium levels can also make a difference. Don't sweat it if it's moving in the right direction!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's the whoosh. I love the whoosh. I haven't had one in a while and am wondering if it only happens when you're obese.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

QFT....

Also, it really doesn't matter at all if you're weighing in daily, weekly, monthly or whatever...there is not "true" number...weight isn't static and losses aren't linear. Regardless of your weight control goals (lose, maintain, gain), trend analysis over a prolonged period of time is your friend.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I've noticed that during my loss of 14lbs that it comes in chunks at a time. For a few days I'll be stuck at one weight, maybe lose a few onces, then one day I'll suddenly be down 2-3lbs.

I'm just curious as to why my weight would be coming off like this and if there is a way to get it to change from chunks to nice progression.

The end products of weight loss - of fat burning - are C02 and water. CO2 you exhale on a regular basis, but removal of excess water from your body often happens in "chunks".
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I lose in chunks and know that if I keep within my calorie goals I won't stall so I don't worry about it. So long as it comes off!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Had quite a few wooshes since starting my WOE but as long as the final trend line is downwards then so be it.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Your question has already been answered, but when I saw the title of the thread....my first thought was well...if you're losing chunks, you probably undercooked something IE: blowing chunks). :ohwell: :laugh:
  • Peanutmanak47
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers guys and gals!
  • osteological
    osteological Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Here's the theory:

That was an interesting read. I'm going to do a bit more research on this. Thanks.

I just spent a few minutes trying to think of a clever "he's lost OVER 9000 'insert weight measure here'!!!" joke... and I failed.

):