any road cyclists?

Options

Replies

• bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I been commuting 16 miles round trip to work and home this summer. I also like to do a 30 mile ride on the weekends if I don’t have a project around the house to work on. Last few weekends I been replacing facial board and gutters on the house so I have missed my weekend ride.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Come join a bunch of us over on the monthly bike challenge forum as it has been great motivation to get in a few more miles. Next triathlon for me is November (along with a half marathon a week later), so been putting lots of wear on both my running shoes, and road bike.

After a few unfortunate thefts, my main road bike is an aluminum Trek 1200SL (tiagra/105 mix) I snagged used off craisglist (w. original receipts), and my baseball game city commuter is a $170 wally-world Kent Denali (now very rideable with lots of tuning, new tires, new brakes, and TLC) that I won't feel compelled to viciously avenge the theft of.

After having 3 bikes stolen in the last 15 years, I've sworn never to spend over $300 on a new bike, and still enjoy the sport despite suffering from the requisite amounts of bike envy. Losing 5lb off my gut is slightly cheaper than upgrading my more than rideable 20lb road bike for a 15lb high end machine.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/361-bicycling-road-and-mountain

I only currently have a MTB but I want to start commuting to work more, and want something to ride on pavement in the winter, so looking at CX bikes (not that I can afford one, but looking).
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Here. I usually ride about 50-60 miles a week. I'll be bumping that up shortly as I start to train for my 70.3 in April.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a road cyclist. i'm just a cyclist in general - working towards cycling as my main frm of transportation, year-round. In Canada, it makes for a lot of fun. :D

I started out with mountain biking, but there's no dirt near where I live now, so I just ride my commuter everywhere.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I ride on the road when the trails are muddy. Does that count?
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You bet! Ride 4-5x week, mostly commuting (23 miles round trip), on a Lemond Alpe D'Huez.

Am looking to try CX as soon as I can save up enough for the bike I want.
  • bugaha1
    Options
    This morning it was 53 degrees riding to work and I realized that the winter spin class is getting closer. lol
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    <<After having 3 bikes stolen in the last 15 years, I've sworn never to spend over $300 on a new bike, and still enjoy the sport despite suffering from the requisite amounts of bike envy.>>

I have bike envy and I have STORAGE envy. I live in NYC and feel lucky to have room to hang one bike in my apartment--even that is a luxury here--but when I read people saying they have 3 or 4 bikes, I really want a garage.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Why would you avoid the mud? That's when you have the most fun!
  • bugaha1
    Options
    <<After having 3 bikes stolen in the last 15 years, I've sworn never to spend over $300 on a new bike, and still enjoy the sport despite suffering from the requisite amounts of bike envy.>>

I have bike envy and I have STORAGE envy. I live in NYC and feel lucky to have room to hang one bike in my apartment--even that is a luxury here--but when I read people saying they have 3 or 4 bikes, I really want a garage.

Living in NYC sounds sad if your a biker. :(
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Damages the trails.
  • mandez19
    Options
    im not a fan cause you sometimes get in my way and I start to get road rage but then I always think how wonderful u guys r getting out there on your bikes on the open road im too scared! cause of some really insane drivers. be safe out there guys and thanks for wearing bright colours and flashing lights on your bikes in the morning xoxoxox

Thanks for making sure your headlights and eyes work and not texting while driving.

Cheers.
  • mandez19
    Options

Damages the trails.

Do you walk on trails with high heels or something?
  • crookback
    crookback Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Been riding a hybrid and mtb for some time but just recently bought a road bike. The one on my profile pic.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Damages the trails.

Legit reason.

I love riding in the forest, then getting caught in the middle of a storm. :D So much fun!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Damages the trails.

Only when I have to unclip...

high-heel-cycling-shoes-600x450.jpg

But really, it might just be our clay soils in Colorado but riding on muddy tails creates huge deeps ruts, promotes excess erosion, etc.

http://www.americantrails.org/resources/ManageMaintain/MuddyPost.html

https://www.imba.com/resources/nmbp/minimum-impact-riding

http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2014/03/dont-ride-muddy-trails.html
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

Damages the trails.

Walking in heels would cause less damage than slipping around on knobby tires in the mud. Respect the trails.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I bike almost every day! Love road biking but will hit the trails now and then too.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Living in NYC sounds sad if your a biker. :(

Bicycling magazine just named New York the best biking city, mostly for good reason. We are legion! But the space issue is a drag. For years I kept my bike in a communal bike room in my building's basement. Last year we were lucky to have the opportunity to gut-renovate a loft. Our brilliant (cyclist) architects designed fantastic storage for our rides. I've ridden almost every day since we moved in---it makes a big difference not to have to go down to the basement and get my bike.