CALORIE INTAKE????

Options
Hello Everyone!

Looking to lose 1.5-2lbs wkly.
28/F/5'5"/CW:205
Exercise 5-6 x's wkly for 20 mins.

Not sure if my calorie intake is enough to keep up the momentum. Checked multiple sites but I keep getting different answers. Any info would be appreciated :)

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • mndylizana
    mndylizana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work out an hour everyday. I walk 4 miles in less than an hour. I don't eat over 1200 calories a day. I have lost 16 lbs in 25 days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

Not sure if my calorie intake is enough to keep up the momentum. Checked multiple sites but I keep getting different answers. Any info would be appreciated :)

well, for one thing you're supposed to eat back calories with the MFP method...play with your exercise goals and you'll see what I mean...those exercise goals have no bearing on your calorie intake, they are just for you...MFP doesn't believe that you're going to do that so you log your exercise after the fact and get calories to eat back.

Other calculators estimate those exercise calories up front in your activity level...this is why you're getting different calorie intakes.

Also, as trog stated...it's an estimate...just get going and be consistent...4-6 weeks down the road make adjustments as per real world results.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

well, for one thing you're supposed to eat back calories with the MFP method...play with your exercise goals and you'll see what I mean...those exercise goals have no bearing on your calorie intake, they are just for you...MFP doesn't believe that you're going to do that so you log your exercise after the fact and get calories to eat back.

Other calculators estimate those exercise calories up front in your activity level...this is why you're getting different calorie intakes.

Also, as trog stated...it's an estimate...just get going and be consistent...4-6 weeks down the road make adjustments as per real world results.

^^^^

exactly

if you are still hungry then simply take down your goal to lose a week. to .5 or 1 ( you will still lose) and also eat back some of your calories burned. <<< this is tricky though because if you dont have an accurate count of calories burned and are just estimating ( the cardio machine or even the MFP calorie tracker ) they are always... always super generous with cals burned. So if the elliptical or treadmill say you burned 550, you probably only burned 490. so eat back at least 200-300 of those cals
  • StenSrm
    StenSrm Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah it might not be accurate. You must trust your body and find the way that works for you. Use scale as a tool but the most important is the mirror. If I'm cutting I never feel full when I go to sleep nor wake up.
  • tracitheaggie
    tracitheaggie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The calorie counters that MFP uses to measure your output are just a guess. I would advise to never eat back all of your calories if you are looking to lose weight. If you are more hungry from working hard one day, eat more. Sweating should not make you feel like you have a free pass to eat 1000ca more than your TDEE. IMO and from what I have learned over the past 8 months.
  • _heavenly
    Options
    Awww thanks for the reply you guys. I got it ;) I definitely feel motivated now more than ever <3
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I work out an hour everyday. I walk 4 miles in less than an hour. I don't eat over 1200 calories a day. I have lost 16 lbs in 25 days.

That's not healthy at all. Fast weight loss =/= good weight loss
  • aallalajr
    aallalajr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What you eat is also very important. The quality of calories is not the same in all foods. I am doing a no sugars no grains (nsng) whole foods meal plan at 1700 - 2000 calories/day. The higher healthy fats, moderate protein, and low carbs keep me satisfied and my blood sugar low. Google nsng if you want to learn more about it. Keep tweaking your exercise and meals every so often to continue to become healthier.