Our fear of fat is melting

Options
2»

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The problem is we're replacing a mainstream irrational fear of fat with an irrational fear of carbs.
    Yep, protein is next on the list to be demonized

The MFP Recipe Section in 2025: "Amazing Low Protein Chili!!!"
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    The problem is we're replacing a mainstream irrational fear of fat with an irrational fear of carbs.

Lab meat replacement without the amino acids that cause weight gain and kidney disease.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

I'm just waiting for the day they tell us lettuce causes weight gain. One day... :tongue:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I was just speaking to a nutritionist/RN this weekend and she was mentioning how nutrition is one of the youngest sciences. We do have to be more open to accepting change as more and more research helps us understand it. There's a lot we still don't know.

Totally agree with this. The body is a complex thing. And when you insert the almighty $$ into the research equation, well, it's no wonder "expert" opinions are all over the place.

On a similar note, I have definitely noticed a growing trend in food commercials emphasizing protein. It probably won't be long before we are hearing that the average person should be consuming 2+ grams of protein per pound of body weight...

ETA-looks like I was a little late to the party on the protein comments...
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Nitpick much, JoRocka? Eating "whole foods" or whatever people want to call it is a lifestyle many people choose to lead that works well for them. Ease up, brah. It's also pretty obvious what that poster meant in his comments. You're just looking to jump on people, methinks.

In regards to the OP, I am glad that more and more positive attention is given to fat these days. It's my favorite macro!

It's not nitpicking...

but I agree- it IS as how people want to define it FOR THEM.
    But presenting an opinion as blanket fact "low carb = whole food" is wrong. and it doesn't help anyone.
    I can and will share my opinion as I see fit. But good luck on your endeavor as the as the enforcer of accuracy around here
    at no point did I say/or imply you couldn't.... but you're opinion =/= fact.

and what you said was presented as a fact. Had you presented as such- it would have been a none issue.

Perhaps you choose to interpret it as fact ?
    I was implying I achieve my low carb way of eating by consuming whole foods and not packaged "low carb" products..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    anybody who has researched and lives low carb lifestyle could have told you this. And by low carb I mean whole foods. Cut out the processed, canned and packaged factory stuff.

I don't eat low carb and I could have told you that. Really, is this news? Don't most people know that we need fat? This isn't 1980, is it?

You don't have to eat low carb to get enough fat.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    anybody who has researched and lives low carb lifestyle could have told you this. And by low carb I mean whole foods. Cut out the processed, canned and packaged factory stuff.

I don't eat low carb and I could have told you that. Really, is this news? Don't most people know that we need fat? This isn't 1980, is it?

You don't have to eat low carb to get enough fat.

I would have included you in my generalization but I wasn't sure what you knew or studied. But certainly there are many folks who are hip to the info and not stuck in the 80's
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Instead of beans and meat it will just be liquified cauliflower mixed with tomato and chili powder
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Instead of beans and meat it will just be liquified cauliflower mixed with tomato and chili powder

Lol, that sounds terrible
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you made me sad.
    But I'm going home to eat a boat load of steak- so - now I'm happy again.