Eating right while homeless

Options
Hi, I am currently grying to loose about 150 lbs. But, I am currently 'sheltered homeless'. I'm living in a shed, with no running water and limited electricity. I have a cooler but its small and theres not enough room to stocknup on veggies. I have to cook on a stove. Last time I dieted I ate diet frozen dinners. This time it isn't an option though. Does anyone have any ideas of any canned foods that are filling, but low on calories? Also I work at a fast food restaurant, so I make the best choice available for lunch. I am starting to jog, right now I'm walking for about a minute and then jogging for 45 seconds, every other night for 30 minutes. But, eating a bunch of chips and dip is just putting the calories right back on.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am currently grying to loose about 150 lbs. But, I am currently 'sheltered homeless'. I'm living in a shed, with no running water and limited electricity. I have a cooler but its small and theres not enough room to stocknup on veggies. I have to cook on a stove. Last time I dieted I ate diet frozen dinners. This time it isn't an option though. Does anyone have any ideas of any canned foods that are filling, but low on calories? Also I work at a fast food restaurant, so I make the best choice available for lunch. I am starting to jog, right now I'm walking for about a minute and then jogging for 45 seconds, every other night for 30 minutes. But, eating a bunch of chips and dip is just putting the calories right back on.
    I'm so sorry you're going through such a hard time. :(

Thank goodness you can get food at work. I assume you have food stamps. If you don't, apply for them. Computers are free in most libraries.

Campbell's chunky soups are very filling and don't usually require additional water. Nature Valley Crunchy granola bars are very filling. I wish I could be more helpful.

Hang in there. Life has ups and downs. You'll get through this. There are better days ahead.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Super sorry to hear that you're homeless, that sounds awful. ): I don't know much about canned food unfortunately but couldn't you purchase veggies & fruit for a few days so they don't need to go in the fridge before you eat them?

Is it a matter of money? Is that inappropriate to ask? I only ask because where I live (Europe), it's like a haven for dumpster diving, I mean if you're into that sort of thing of course. That way you can save your hard-earned money & save up to get your own place perhaps? Plus you could also make lunches to take to work, all you need is a reusable lunch box, that way you cut out all the junk food.

I think the jogging thing sounds awesome. I need to lose roughly as much as you do & I've yet to even think about exercising on a regular basis so big virtual hi-5 to you. (:
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,462 Member
    Options
    Progresso soups also don't need extra water either. And they have heart healthy varieties.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    definitely apply for food stamps and try to save every cent you have. I know its easier said than done, but I've been in the same boat only I was living in a tent in the woods. I used to walk all over town, there was a church that served free lunches three days a week. they had tons of can good as well as loaves of bread and deserts that you could take home with you. keep your head up and DON'T give up! some days it feels like it will never change, but life changes every day and you CAN do this!!
  • arose928
    arose928 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I was in your situation, I would make a meatless chili that would carry you for a few day or more. Canned beans, canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, frozen bag of peppers and onions, there cheaper than fresh and just as good. You can store the leftover in a disposable container.
    Canned chicken and canned tuna if you can stand it make a good low fat sandwhich, if you use miracle whip. And a great low fat filling bread is the Sara lee 45 calorie grain bread.. Also bananas are a really cheap fruit that will keep you feeling full. Hope this helps
    Goodluck.
  • Zohar94
    Zohar94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    dumpsterdiving is really amazing i have to say. i get so much free fruit and veggies from that! if you want anny information on dumpsterdiving you can contact me!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Canned vegetables are fine. I would rinse them to remove the canning liquid (and cut WAY down on the sodium). You could do canned tuna or chicken, granola bars, soups, stuff like that. Winter fruit, like apples and bananas, is cheap, filling and doesn't require refrigeration. Do you have a crock pot? Dried beans are wonderful for you and are super easy to make in a crock pot (way cheaper than canned beans, too).
  • panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would grab canned beans (black, pinto, cannelini), canned tuna, chick peas, minute rice ready to serve in whole grain/brown rice and wild rice varieties, and toss some frozen bags of veggies in your cooler (if you have the electricity to heat them). Most of these foods, except for the minute rice are pretty inexpensive. If you have enough electricity/can bring home a bottle of water with you each night and bug free storage space, investing in a rice cooker and raw rice products would be a better financial bet long term. Have a bottle of hot sauce, soy sauce, curry powder, garlic powder, adobo seasoning, etc on hand so you don't get bored. Buy sturdier fruits like apples, oranges, bananas, plantains (if you can find them, they are generally very cheap!), and grapefruits. Maybe pick up a loaf or two of whole grain bread and also some peanut butter. Nuts are also great for snacking on, though you have to be careful not to eat too many as they are so calorie dense. They also may be expensive.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Canned beans, canned vegetables, apples, bananas, oranges, peanuts.
    If you buy yogurt, it can keep for 24 hours at room temperature. The same with cheese. Cheddar cheese can be kept a long time without refrigeration.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have been homeless twice in my life and survived mostly from stealing food from work at a fast food joint and dumpster diving. The simple lack of access to food got me to, and kept me at my lowest adult weight ever. If you have access to a stove you are worlds ahead of many. If it was me I would be eating beans , ramen, pasta and whatever else I could get my hands on or they had available at the local food bank.
  • Lycangirl13
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for your input. And I meant grill, not stove, lol. I have food stamps, and enough money to feed myself. Just finding myself buying a lot of junk food due to the convenience of not having to start a fire to eat it. I have been eating canned veggies but am getting bored of them.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    A grill or BBQ would defiantly be a pita. Maybe look for a Colman propane stove or similar on craigslist.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I have never tried this, so I don't know if it would work..but is it possible to boil water on a grill? I don't see why it wouldn't be with a pot over an open flame. If you're able to do that, dried beans, peas, and rice are all very cheap and non-perishable. I wish you the best of luck.