Measuring Pasta???

Options
Ok, so I use Smart Taste Pasta and the box says 2 oz uncooked is a service, but how do you measure that after it is cooked? I am cooking for the whole family and didn't want to have to cook my own 2oz seperately. Is there an easy way to calculate that maybe I am not seeing? Thanks for the help!!!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    2 oz. uncooked is 1 cup cooked.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    this is a tricky one. 2oz dry is the serving but once its cooked its a cup but have you ever measured spaghetti in a cup... there has to be an easier way! I always go with the smaller shapes and use a cup... hope someone has a better suggestion for you and me both!
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Options
    Probably can't measure using a food scale then since 8oz in a cup is volume. I hope there is an easier way! It shouldn't be this confusing, but maybe I've just hit my limit of thinking today! lol:laugh:
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I just use a 1 cup measuring cup to measure out my cooked pasta
  • lindalloo
    lindalloo Posts: 47
    Options
    I ran into the same problem recently while I was preparing linguine. The nutritional information on the package was for 85g of uncooked pasta. I weighed 85g of linguine and cooked my portion in a small saucepan. It weighed in at 200g once it was fully cooked, and it was just enough for one serving! Unfortunately, I didn't measure how many cups it was. Even if I had, the "volume" measurement would be different if I was cooking penne or macaroni pasta because a cup full wouldn't be as dense as linguine or other long noodles.

Here is something that may be helpful:

Small to medium pasta shapes (Elbow Macaroni, Medium Shells, Rotini, Twists, Spirals, Wagon Wheels, Bow Ties, Mostaccioli, Penne, Radiatore, Rigatoni)

• 8 oz. uncooked = 4 cups cooked

Long pasta shapes (Spaghetti, Angel Hair, Linguine, Vermicelli, Fettuccine)

• 8 oz. uncooked or 1 1/2 inch diameter bunch = 4 cups cooked

Egg Noodles

• 8 oz. uncooked = 2 1/2 cups cooked
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    This is a tricky one. 2oz dry is the serving but once its cooked its a cup but have you ever measured spaghetti in a cup... there has to be an easier way!

Yep. I measure it every time I cook it. I eye it as well as I can and then only eat the 1 cup. It's certainly enough!! Now that I have a food scale, I can measure the 2 oz. beforehand.
  • cuppycake22
    cuppycake22 Posts: 224
    Options
    Great question and I am here just for the answer :laugh: Good to finally know!
  • SarahEllis28
    Options
    So when you measure the cooked pasta in a mesuring cup, do you squish it down? LOL!
  • zbeatsa
    Options
    That is exactly what I was wondering also. Is it a pushed down cup or a "lose" linguine cup???
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Weigh all of the pasta that you are cooking and determine how many servings you are making (this often isn't a whole number). Weigh the cooked pasta and divide by the number of servings calculated earlier. This should give you the weight of one serving.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Weigh all of the pasta that you are cooking and determine how many servings you are making (this often isn't a whole number). Weigh the cooked pasta and divide by the number of servings calculated earlier. This should give you the weight of one serving.
    and we have a winner!!!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    and we have a winner!!!

Math is always the winner.