One year later....

Options
WARNING: LONG POST. :)

(before and current pics to come later).... I just have to re-read how to post. :)

One year ago today, I was playing tennis with my kids, and decided to snap some photos to capture the moments. Photography is a huge hobby of mine, so I always have my camera. Later, I reviewed and was disgusted with myself, and the way I looked. Fat, unhealthy, and unhappy. I had an epiphany, a wake up call, a slap in the face. Whatever you want to call it. I decided then and there, I would not turn 40(ouch!), looking like that.

I have lost weight before. I gained back most of it. I was having a tough, REALLY tough time in my life. I found myself eating a bag of chocolate chips, while laying on the couch. Or, not paying attention to what I was eating. Or, worse of all just eating until I was uncomfortably STUFFED! Plus, no exercise. Sure, I would play tennis with my kids, or basketball, but, it didn't matter because I was not in any way eating healthy. Sometimes I would eat veggies, and my kids eat pretty healthy (even though I wasn't...go figure). But, not every day, and certainly not without a high calorie meal to go with it. Interestingly enough, I have always loved to drink water, but it too didn't matter much, seeing as how my meals were so terrible.

Oh boy, has that changed!! Now, some days, I have to REMIND myself to eat. Plenty of days, I go.."oh, you know what, I forgot to eat today." Yes yes I know it's not a good thing for my metabolism and what not, and I don't recommend it. The point is that that is a HUGE change! I was never big on fast food and I have always cooked a lot, but today marks one year since I have had ANY fast food of any kind. Not a french fry has touched my lips, unless you count homemade sweet potato fries. Soda, maybe once a week if I have a coupon, or if we are having a bbq, or something like that, and it's always diet. In fact, it's been about 3 weeks since I have had soda. I still eat chocolate, but now its chocolate that comes in a protein bar, or protein shake. Veggies are now a staple. Plenty of times, I eat meat, veggies and water for dinner. Oh, now, I drink about a gallon of water a day! I jokingly said I need to install a water cooler upstairs, so I don't have to keep refilling my cup at the fridge. Lol

Not to forget...my exercise has DRASTICALLY CHANGED. I exercise roughly 5 days a week. It has become a part of my daily life. Swimming, weights, walking, hiit, running, I've done it all, and then some. I MAKE myself take rest days because it reduces the risk of injury. Know what I did today? Started week 6 of a 5k training program, where I had to run for a total of 21 minutes. At the end of the program, I should be able to run for 30 minutes straight. Then I plan on moving on to a 10k training program. Me! A runner! Blows my mind! I don't necessarily will enter a 5k or a 10k. Right now, it's a weight loss tool, but who knows!

I'm pleased as (diet) punch with myself. It hasn't been easy, but it's been worth it. I wanted to have lost more by now but, plateaus are a pain in the a**. Yep, been there. But, I refuse to give up. That's why I started running. Calorie blaster! I am close to goal, and maybe I will push it back even further. Maybe make my goal weight even less. But for now...I AM PROUD.

Stats:
starting weight: 190 (my BMI put me in the overweight category)
current weight: 157( BMI is right on healthy category) I was hoping for 155 for goal, but I might shoot for 149. We'll see. :)
Starting size: 14
Current size: 6 (first time EVER at this size)

Replies

• mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You've made huge changes and have achieved wonderful results. Can't wait to see your before and after pics.
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I made sure to say "current" weight, rather than "after" weight, because I am still not at goal. Pictures to come soon. Still cannot figure out how to upload! Gonna reread again. Lol
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    ...pleased as "diet" punch... I like that! :-)

Wow, great stats. I hope you can do the pics...can't wait to see. And CONGRATS to you!!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're blowing your mind in such a good way.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Way to go! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1430929-a-guide-to-formatting-your-posts
    This may help with posting your picture.
  • 8sep2014
    8sep2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your story is such an inspiration to me! I see myself (though an older version) in you as I have had similar habits and they are a tough, tough thing to break. I know what you mean about how the exercise really doesn't matter if you're sabotaging that by eating poorly. I've done that for years! I'm really hoping this forum will be a force of change for me...I'm new to it. I think it will be as I've already met so many wonderfully supportive people. I'd love to count you among them. Thanks for sharing your story...it gives me hope for myself!
  • Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You're a fun writer! Congrats on your success and obvious happiness and confidence within yourself!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats. U look amazing.
    I was playing tennis with my family. Asked my daughter to take a pic and felt the same way. Asked my husband if that's the way I always look and he said yeah. And I realize I do not like the way I look. I know the pregnancies and surgeries were a part of it but it's still weird to see what I look like and deny it
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Great work you Should be proud what a great mamma and role model you are for this lovely kids-excellent!
  • Islandgirl74
    Options
    Pictures....FINALLY!

Cannot recall when I took this picture, but this is where I started out. Plenty of folks told me that I didnt look bad, but, "I" thought I did. "I" was unhappy with this picture. "I" felt bad about myself. "I" wanted to change it.

I was also wearing a shirt that "hid" a good bit of my fat belly. Plenty of muffin top under there, trust me, AND I was sucking in my stomach. My jeans... a size 14.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/Moonchild0074/Weight loss journey/Weightlossjourney/IMG_0885_zps530e66b3.jpg[/img]

September 9, 2014. Taken at the gym. No sucking in, no muffin top under there, and I am wearing a size small.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/Moonchild0074/Weight loss journey/Weightlossjourney/IMG_4288_zps2a48a422.jpg[/img]
  • Islandgirl74
    Options
    Thank you for all your wonderful comments. It warms my heart. :heart:
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your wonderful progress and success :-). Keep up the awesome work and stay as happy as you are today - you've earned it my friend!
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I always think of a "size 6" as being super tiny or like 120 lbs or less. I have truly learned from this site that body recomp and strength work will show much more significant results in size and inches than what the number on the scale says! Keep up the great work.
  • Islandgirl74
    Options
    Congrats! I always think of a "size 6" as being super tiny or like 120 lbs or less. I have truly learned from this site that body recomp and strength work will show much more significant results in size and inches than what the number on the scale says! Keep up the great work.

As did I! I would never have guessed that at my current weight I would fit into a 6. But, unbelievably... I do!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • amos481
    amos481 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all the positive changes!! I wish you continued success :flowerforyou:
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Pictures....FINALLY!

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/Moonchild0074/Weight loss journey/Weightlossjourney/IMG_0885_zps530e66b3.jpg[/img]

September 9, 2014. Taken at the gym. No sucking in, no muffin top under there, and I am wearing a size small.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/Moonchild0074/Weight loss journey/Weightlossjourney/IMG_4288_zps2a48a422.jpg[/img]

So glad I came back to see the pics. Size 6 at 157 is...unbelievably great!! I think I was a size 4 at 137 pounds, but I was in a size 8 when I was in the 150s.

Again CONGRATS TO YOU!!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and no where near 40!
  • Islandgirl74
    Options
    So glad I came back to see the pics. Size 6 at 157 is...unbelievably great!! I think I was a size 4 at 137 pounds, but I was in a size 8 when I was in the 150s.

Again CONGRATS TO YOU!!

Thanks! I JUST hit size 6. I lost more inches than weight.
  • Islandgirl74
    Options
    You look amazing and no where near 40!

Thanks and thanks!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!