Divorce and Weight Loss or Gain

Options
1. Have you lost weight or gained weight while going through a divorce?
2. What worked for losing weight/keeping weight off?
3. What didn't work?

Last year at this time, I found out some information....which is why I am getting a divorce. As a result of that information, I ended up loosing a lot of weight quickly; to my chagrin the divorce would take a long time - longer then I expected. So to help keep my mind off of things, I started back up with school and I hard-pressed to graduate early - I did - in July 2014. However, in doing so, I also gained back a lot weight.

Now - I want to loose it and keep off for good - so I need some help.

Replies

• AliciaV30
    AliciaV30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I went through a divorce years ago so no advice about that here lol. But my advice is make a life style change don't just try to loose weight. Get a daily routine. You can do it!!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I lost weight after mine. It was freeing to shop and have food in the house that was for me and not have to worry about buying his "type" of bread or whatever. I loved being focused on myself and my needs.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight while I go through one.

I'm an emotional non-eater. (I know, weird)

Using MFP daily reminds me to eat enough and make sure that I'm making healthy choices.

Plus, seeing all my pals exercise day in and day out would make me feel left out if I didn't have SOMEthing to contribute to my diary. So... yeah. But mine is still brand new! Who knows what will change.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I married the same one twice, so the second time he did it (different woman) I lost a lot. Actually, I lost too much, I was very sick with it and trying to take care of my two kids at that time.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lost a lot and still losing.

277 pounds all told.

... 17 of those are mine.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 40lbs since the filing of the very first paper. Still going through....but every time we go back to court and his fat mom turns and looks my way it motivates me even more.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I gained for 3 years ... and then lost it all and then some. I am in maintenance now and doing better than anytime in the last 7 years.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds. I needed to lose it and I have kept most of it off.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, while I am very food driven, my divorce made me drop weight, I never ate, I was in such a zone, I think I was a zombie for months. I don't know how I managed. Or what I did, that time is a complete fog.

But, I was model thin, 130 pounds, at 5'10". I guess I looked great.

Gee, too bad I am not so miserable now! (no thanks!).
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds right after my divorce, it was awesome. I kept it off until my new wife got pregnant with our first and then I just got lazy and gained it all, plus some, back. Now I need to get that off!
  • justcindy59
    justcindy59 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    That made me laugh....good for you
  • justcindy59
    Options

277 pounds all told.

• trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I lost 190+ (which was my husband) but gained about 50lbs and climbed during my divorce. It didn't help that I just had a baby when he left, so I had the pregnancy weight and kept gaining.....
  • justcindy59
    Options

277 pounds all told.

that made me laugh....good for you.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 pounds thanks to not leaving the house for about 3 months. I didn't even realize it was happening, if you can believe that. This Thanksgiving will mark two years since the separation and about 20ish months since the divorce itself. I have so far lost 30 pounds of what I added.
  • emily889
    emily889 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Im going through one.. I have gained about 20 lbs or so. It is from living with my roommates, partying, and eating whatever afterwards which was terrible. I am trying to get back on track but it is hard because I am emotional eater, he is all happy with a new girl and Im stuck still single and eating my feelings. It is basically all because he was the one in the wrong (cheated) and hurt me so bad, but now he is happy and I am still left a wreck. So trying to get over that is number one, then I think I will start to come around to making better decisions. It is happening slowly..
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Gained weight after divorce, lost weight after break up from the guy I dated after. Emotions are a weird thing. I've rebounded big time, and I really have no idea if/when it'll come off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Pick a goal.
    Make a plan
    stick to it.

you can only let life "get in the way but so much"- you are the boss of your life.

Don't let things take you away from what's important- your divorce will stress you out- but don't let it take away from your goals. Stay focused.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The first 95lbs for me was easy. Including archaic, religion-driven waiting periods, it took about 6 months. The last 30ish lbs took about another 6 months.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you deal with grief. Some people lose their appetite (will lose weight) while others emotional eat (will gain weight). It's all wrapped up in how you deal with the situation.

Also, it doesn't necessarily mean that because you're an emotional eater (if the person is) that you are BOUND to gain weight. You just have to be aware of how you are and combat that. I AM an emotional eater. I lost weight through my divorce because I was conscious of the fact that I am an emotional eater so whenever I wanted to eat, I would question myself as to why. Was I really hungry or was I just sad? lonely? bored? depressed?

Once you get a handle on that, you're fine. If you're the type to lose appetite, try to force feed as much as you can to fuel yourself enough and exercise. Endorphins do WONDERFUL things.