Do you log your veggies?

Options

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't add up empty and free calorie item like tea and coffee, but i log veggies, herbs and spices, etc... at the end of day i do eat 100 cals of those by 3 or 4 cals increments.

Logging spices is a recipe for me quitting MFP. I'm still losing weight without logging my liberal use of black pepper.

I don't normally log herbal tea, but I log coffee b/c I like seeing how much caffeine I'm ingesting. :drinker:
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I log absolutely everything (except spices, even though I know they can add calories AND sodium. It's just a choice I made). I also frequently use the recipe builder. Weighing and logging are second nature now and hardly take any additional time.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log all veggies.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I log everything, except seasoning and water. I log gum, condiments, half a strawberry. Small stuff adds up quick, and it can very well throw you over your calorie limit. The goal is to eat as close to the calories that MFP or TDEE tells you to. If you forget or don't log that serving of ketchup, then you could very well go over your calorie limit.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm not logging a few calories of cucumber unless it's at least 1/2 cup, enough to count as one of my veggie servings for the day.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I do if it's convenient. The "myfitnesspal" app sometimes freezes up or takes a long time to load on my phone so when that happens, I'll ask myself how much I care that I didn't log a few slices of cucumber or even a couple of potato chips.
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options
    Absolutely! I do it for several reasons-
    A- veggies have calories
    B- I am working on increasing my fiber and potassium intake. I couldn't even come near those goals without veggies
    C- It's really fulfilling to look back at your day and see how well you did with eating healthy food
    I agree with the log everything comments. This site was designed to log everything, good and bad to see where you did well and where you can improve. Veggies should be a decent portion of what you are eating, so how can you have an accurate account if you don't log them? Also, logging everything really reinforces the habit. In all honesty, there are two things I am AWFUL at logging. I drink a lot of water and really can't run to the computer every time I drink a cup. Second, I REALLY need to get better at logging cayenne pepper and black pepper. I never seem to be on top of that. So yes, I need to take my own advice. Otherwise I log everything.
  • aburley
    aburley Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yes I log veggies. I like to know whats counting towards my macros, and I try to makes sure to hit my fiber goal, and logging veggies helps with that!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I log veggies because I track my fiber. I don't log low impact stuff like mustard.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was curious- so...
    If the slivers of onions weigh 2g, that's 1cal.
    A 3oz carrot is about 35cal, with 1oz of hummus add another 75cal.
    The lemon wedge in your water is probably only 2cal.
    Together that's over 100 calories.

The little stuff adds up.

I just realized some of my vitamins have calories. One Fish oil capsule has 25cal.

Do I always remember to log every single thing that goes into my mouth? No

Should you? It's your food, your log, your body- it's your choice.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    no on the slivers of onion, no on the lemon wedge, yes on the carrot.

i dont typically log a bite of a fruit or vegetable. but more than that yes.

this is only my fruit and veggies rule, and also i set my calorie goal just a tad lower than it should be knowing that i cant always weigh and sometimes might grab a cherry tomato as i walk past the kicthen and forget.

i am doing fine, losing consistently, if i wasnt i may micromanage.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    Fish oil has calories. Wow. I was about to say I log everything, but I guess not. I don't log tea, tell me that doesn't have calories, too. :ohwell:
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just started about 2 weeks ago and I don't really don't log the small stuff, esp if it's raw veggies and just a pinch of it. If I feel like it was more than a decorative pinch then I'll just overestimate and call it 1/4 of a cup. I refuse to log seasonings, takes too much time. I also overestimate my water log. For shame.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    No way. 5 carrots, sure. But not one. Maybe I'm lazy but I couldn't bring myself to do that.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Fish oil has calories. Wow. I was about to say I log everything, but I guess not. I don't log tea, tell me that doesn't have calories, too. :ohwell:

Depends on what tea- most no, but fruity herbals are often 2cal and mate is 5cal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If I make it, I log all of those but the lemon. If I buy it, I'll try to remember, but might forget something small and won't worry overmuch. The main things I don't bother logging that have calories are garlic and black coffee. I also usually ignore herbs. Veggies otherwise I always log while cooking.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Always log my veggies because I keep a close eye on my potassium and my carbs had been very low, so I got used to counting things like lemon juice and onion/onion/spices I add to things.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yes I log vegetables. Why? Because I eat a ton of veggies every single day. Yum!
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I log everything, except seasoning and water. I log gum, condiments, half a strawberry. Small stuff adds up quick, and it can very well throw you over your calorie limit. The goal is to eat as close to the calories that MFP or TDEE tells you to. If you forget or don't log that serving of ketchup, then you could very well go over your calorie limit.

It's ok to go over your calorie limit by a serving of ketchup, methinks
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't generally log spices, garlic or things like the onion or lemon in the example. I would certainly log the carrot though.

My philosophy right now is that as long as I am losing weight (and/or inches), then what I am doing is right. If it stops working though, then I will reevaluate everything, including my calorie allowance and logging habits.