Tomatoes!!!

Options
Ever since I had my little boy I have had an obsession with tomatoes. I can eat tomatoes on anything, anytime. As I am typing this I have 1/2 a tomato sitting on my desk to which I have added a small amount of salt and am eating by itself.

With that being said how healthy are tomatoes really? I know fruits and veggies are always good for you but could you over do it?

Replies

• Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    I think tomatoes are good for your eyeballs! :noway:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I heard if you eat too many you turn red...but I love them too!
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, tomato sandwich!
  • nightbird1103
    nightbird1103 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MMMM. I was just having the tomato love discussion with a friend at work. We're up to our eyeballs in snow here and the hothouse tomatoes I get in the store just don't hold a candle to those Jersey Fresh ones we have in summer. . .
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    ZekeandKyliesMom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    MMMM. I was just having the tomato love discussion with a friend at work. We're up to our eyeballs in snow here and the hothouse tomatoes I get in the store just don't hold a candle to those Jersey Fresh ones we have in summer. . .

I can definatly relate to that, its just not the same.
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    mmmmmmmm I wish! I'm allergic and break out into horrible rashes..............
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes contain lycopene (antioxidant), vitamin c, vitamin a, and iron among other nutrients. They are purported to stave off certain cancers but of course there is never enough testing to prove those claims. I have heard that if you have arthritis you have to be careful; they can exasperate it.

Here is some more reading for you

http://www.essortment.com/all/healthbenefits_rbdh.htm
    http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/benefits-of-tomato-1491.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/238974-health-benefits-of-eating-tomatoes/
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I think you are good. THere are certainly worse addictions! Enjoy your tomatoes!
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    i don't think you can ever really overdo it with fruits and veggies...better a tomato obsession than a twinkie obsession!!!
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    Options
    I heard if you eat too many you turn red...but I love them too!

Meh, it would be a nice change from pasty white. lol
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    Options
    i don't think you can ever really overdo it with fruits and veggies...better a tomato obsession than a twinkie obsession!!!

I have had that problem before too! :)
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes are great for you. They are the most concentrated food source of lycopene, which some studies show helps prevent heart disease and some forms of cancer. They also have vitamin C, I think.
    Typically, we grow around 12 plants every year, and my husband will eat tomatoes every day...(I've never heard they turn you red if you eat too much, though. Were that the case, my husband would certainly be!)
    Enjoy!! Just watch the salt.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    The only problem I have is if I eat too many (which the summer we grew them I ate a TON) the acid in them gives me canker sores. Makes me want some...I might have to get a few when I go to the store. I LOVE them. :)
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    The only problem I have is if I eat too many (which the summer we grew them I ate a TON) the acid in them gives me canker sores. Makes me want some...I might have to get a few when I go to the store. I LOVE them. :)