Can you eat late and lose weight?

Options
I've just started a new job, but the hours are 3-7.30, meaning I wont get home until 8pm monday-friday. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to adjust to this? I currently eat breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12.30, snack at 3pm and dinner at 6pm. Obviously I can't do this anymore, can I still eat a normal dinner at 8/8.30 and lose weight? Do I have to change what I eat? Should I eat lunch at a different time?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can eat at any time--immediately before a workout, late at night, etc. Different people like to eat at different times and it is all fine. Your body is a 24/7 factory, always working on something, whether it's digestion, muscle repair, etc. Calories are always being burned just keeping you alive
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes - I do it all the time. Eating late at night suits my lifestyle.

I would only change that if I ever become one of those people who can't sleep for a few hours after eating.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'd abide by the body. If you are able to eat late and then sleep, without heartburn or anything of that nature, it shouldn't be an issue. Personally, I would opt for a lighter dinner than usual, or opt for packing a meal for dinner at work. That, or supplying a couple snacks for the work shift so that you can eat a light dinner at home without feeling like you've been deprived.

Me, I work the graveyard shift. That's 11pm-7am. I pack a meal and eat at my desk, and then go home. About 2 hours after getting home, I eat another meal, then sleep. Still learning to balance everything but ultimately, it's up to how my body feels and what I want to do for that day.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no bearing on weight loss.... Eat when you can get all your calories in for that given day...... Best of Luck
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Yup, you should be fine. In regards to weight loss, your body doesn't know the difference between 6pm and 2am. You can eat whenever you want as long as you're meeting your goals at the end of the day or week.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I've just started a new job, but the hours are 3-7.30, meaning I wont get home until 8pm monday-friday. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to adjust to this? I currently eat breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12.30, snack at 3pm and dinner at 6pm. Obviously I can't do this anymore, can I still eat a normal dinner at 8/8.30 and lose weight? Do I have to change what I eat? Should I eat lunch at a different time?

Thanks in advance!

Just stay where you need to be with your calories for whatever your goal is.
    Timing doesn't matter.

I personally eat all my calories from 12pm - 8pm
    I don't eat the other hours.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    NO!!!

It is a PROVEN FACT that anything after 8:00pm is immediately converted into FAT! I read this on the Internet, so clearly it's true.

</sarcasm>

You're fine. The position of the sun in the sky doesn't have an impact on weight loss.
  • Richlifeforme
    Options
    Yes, I believe you can eat late and still lose weight. I would say it is more preferable to eat a big meal for lunch when you need the energy for the rest of the day. Each person is different and you can find what works for you. I also eat late in the week because of gym times after work and I have not had any problems with picking up weight or losing weight. Your body still burns calories during the night and therefore you will need food in your stomach to burn.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    NO!!!

It is a PROVEN FACT that anything after 8:00pm is immediately converted into FAT! I read this on the Internet, so clearly it's true.

</sarcasm>

You're fine. The position of the sun in the sky doesn't have an impact on weight loss.

HA HA HA ^^^^^^^ Nearly believed you then hahahah!!!

I eat when ever I want - If this stomach is hungry - Im going to feed it : )
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism works 24 hours/7 days a week or you wouldn't be alive at night. It's the total calories that matter. It doesn't matter if you eat early or late. Some days I don't eat "breakfast" until about 11 am anyway. Do what works for your schedule.
  • slynn1023
    Options
    I work evenings, so sometimes i'm not home until almost midnight. I eat if i'm hungry and am still losing weight! =D