Gluten free?

Options
klb620
klb620 Posts: 28 Member
I'm new to this gluten free stuff. With my Dr.s advice (due to years worth of tummy troubles), I'm giving this a try. I don't know how to cook gluten free though. Unless the package at the store says "Gluten Free" I have no idea if I'm safe to cook with it or not. Basically I've been eating salads and eggs/proteins a lot......almost every meal. I NEED variety! LOL

If you have some tried and true recipes to share....please :-) I would appreciate it.

Replies

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that there are great gluten free blogs out there (maybe gluten free girl is one?), but I can help you out with some ideas. I'm not gluten free but my husband is. He's not celiac but generally gets bad pains and is sick when he eats wheat and non g-free grains. My advice is only what works for him. He still eats soy sauce and the occasional bite of something wheaty.

Heineken is gluten free, woo hoo! And it's cheaper and tastes better than many certified g-free beers.
    Rice noodles and polenta are your friends.
    Betty Crocker makes a kick *kitten* g-free cake mix.
    Cooked rice is a decent bread crumb substitute.
    The more from scratch cooking you do, the easier things will be.
    Udi's g-free hamburger buns are the best widely available ones.
    Costco seems to be really on the gluten free bandwagon, at least here. Awesome pancake mix, flour mix, cereals etc.
    Basic meat/veggie meals are your friends.
    Bring snacks with you when you're out. Being stuck hungry and out is one of the biggest pitfallls, since gluten is everywhere in restaurants.
    Corn tortillas rock.
    Sushi is a great restaurant option.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Look on Pinterest for Gluten Free Recipes. It will link you to hundreds of blogs and sites with recipes that are genuinely gluten free. Also, a lot of health food markets (like PCC, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods) have a larger variety of gluten free foods than the typical supermarket.
  • WestieGoneNorth
    WestieGoneNorth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My diet right now is primarily gluten free and I'm using Pinterest to look up recipes for tons of variety! I love it and am now going on two weeks without having the same meal! My specific diet is called Keto. Look up Keto recipes on Pinterest for gluten free ideas.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    mashed potatoes are gluten free, as is rice. nut thins, potato chips, tortilla chips - gluten free, as are all meats (if you eat them), tofu and tempeh. eggs and egg beaters, dairy including cheese, yogurt, sour cream are all gluten free. if you want to use ingredients like packaged gravy, you will probably want to check the labels, as many have wheat in them. trader joe's has a gluten free flour, and so does king arthur, and there's tons of gluten free cookie, cake and bread mixes and whole foods.

lots of pizza places now offer gluten free pizza, and chipotle bowls are gluten free. disneyland and the olive garden offer gluten free pasta, and you can buy a wide variety of gluten free pastas that taste great with pasta sauces and parmesan.

watch out for cheese sauce, as most have flour, cream of mushroom soup and other creamy soups. many have flour as a thickener.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Keep an eye on condiments such as salad dressing. No idea why there would be wheat/ gluten in salad dressing but some of them have it. Also soy sauce has wheat in it, Buy tamari instead.

As for recipes, I agree that Pinterest has some good ones.