Itching and/or Insomnia With Weight Loss?

Thirteen pounds down, 5 weeks gone by. I am suddenly itchy all over. It's worse in the morning and at night. No hives or rash just terrible itching! Have seen some old threads regarding this but wondering if there is any new information out there? What to do? I am pushing the water hard.

Related to the itching or maybe not, but I also am having a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I feel oddly wired around 11 PM. I exercise in the mornings so it's not that.

These two things just started this week but won't subside!

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Replies

• Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    I always suffer from insomnia once I start losing weight: usually from the second week onwards. I think lack of kcal is what causes the wakefulness. I usually get night sweats, not itching. It could be a hormonal thing with both of us, but the itching could be down to something not related to weight loss.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Yeah this happens. I assume the skin is itchy because stuff is happening under it and the nervous response is a bit twonky. As for insomnia. It's probably because you are used to sleeping on a full stomach =) You will get used to going to bed a little hungry but it will take time.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Itchy skin can be a number of things. Not enough water, fat or nutrients. Drinking more water helped me.
    The insomnia I can't help. I have same problem and have just learned to deal with it. I keep my nook on bedside to read when I wake in middle of night. So I'd love to read what others suggest.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    I've certainly been sleeping lighter these days, and I'm sure it is partly to do with eating less calories. I find that taking melatonin helps.
  • mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    I have been a little itchy at night, but I probably just need to wash my sheets! lol But seriously, my trainer suggested taking fiber at bedtime, and an evening casein shake, which has helped me eradicate late-night snacking like a wonder! The casein is a slow-digesting protein, so it is supposed to be good for keeping that sated feeling while you are peacefully sleeping the night through... :) I think it's helped me sleep better.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    If your skin is itchy I'm gonna guess it's likely due to lack of fat in the diet. People are scared of fat, but it's essential and can do a number on you if you don't get enough of it.
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    I think I have enough healthy fat in my diet. Pounding the water but oddly I don't feel hydrated really so I will drink drink drink and try moisturizing the skin. It's really terribly itchy - especially at night. Re: insomnia - also extremely annoying. Yes, I slept great when I loaded on the carbs before bed - lol. Oh well!
    Thanks for your replies everyone!!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    The itchy skin can be due to seasonal allergies. My skin usually gets a little dry/itchy when the fall approaches.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Usually, the itchiness is due to low fats in your diet. As far as insomnia, its usual when you first start losing weight for it to occur, as our body is reacting to the lower blood sugar levels and will periodically send us shot of adrenaline.